New features from defconmatch.com, matchplay lovers unite!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

rippedcap
level2
level2

New features from defconmatch.com, matchplay lovers unite!

Postby rippedcap » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:42 pm

Apologies to all for a little bit of promotion here. Rather than spam the other threads I thought I'd start this one.

Firstly it's important to state we're not trying to duplicate anything currently in existence, we see ourselves as very complementary to the IV forums. We started when a small group of regular matchplayers wanted to record their scores somewhere.

www.defconmatch.com is designed to:

- Offer somewhere for people to record and view their scores;
- Facilitate regular matchplay amongst Defcon players;
- Give a method of scheduling and organising those games;
- Enable players to compare and contrast themselves with other players.

Right now, the site is up and we have some of those features in place. For example, we offer a 6 player mini-league format. Currently we're in the final stages of developing the player view module:

Ranked matches will count to your league scores and unranked matches don't count - but they are there for pride!

We're hoping to have this in place over the next few week or so depending on how much time can be focussed on the development! It's currently in limited testing.

Broad feature list:

- Interactive screenshot gallery;
- Calendering of matches;
- Mini-leagues;
- Matchplay forum;
- Nukipedia - a start at a Defcon wiki
- Interactive chat (to help you get connected to the host)

We're looking to hear from individuals or groups of regular players who'd like to use these sort of facilities. The site is continuing to evolve - it's only been up for a week now and the remaining features are being rolled in as fast as we can get them developed.

Thanks for reading, I hope you find the time to pop over and see us, looking forward to some quality Defcon matchplay!

-- RippedCap
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:13 pm

as far as i know, a wiki for Defcon allready exists.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:15 pm

It looks good. One question: what system (algorithm) are you using to rank players/leagues? Also, there is already a Defcon wiki, though I can't find the link at the moment.

xander

EDIT: Ah... here it is: http://defconwiki.72dpiarmy.com/index.php/Main_Page
rippedcap
level2
level2

Postby rippedcap » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:59 pm

We haven't decided on the scoring mechanism yet - there's still some debate. Irrespective of that, we now have the data collection mechanism pretty much in place so all the options are open!

-- Rip
bOgan_X
level1
level1

Postby bOgan_X » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:39 am

Sounds good...joined.
rippedcap
level2
level2

Postby rippedcap » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:52 am

Welcome onboard, we are having some site performance issues this week which should be resolved tomorrow when we are moved to a new database server. Do bear with us!

Cheers,

-- Rip
MadSeven
level2
level2

Postby MadSeven » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:07 pm

Would've been fun if someone told me this was here...:-)

Maddie, Defconmatch.com
rippedcap
level2
level2

Rating System

Postby rippedcap » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:28 pm

Our persistent scoring system is now in the first phase of deployment! As of 1800 GMT the Official DefconMatch.com Rating System (DCMr) has gone live! We are used a customised version of the ELO algorithm to handle multiple players.

When a rated match has been added to the database, the player ratings are automatically updated.

Coming soon will be facilities to view your own DCMr history, compare DCMr with other members and slice n' dice the full DCMr list in almost any way you can imagine. Obviously key to this is collecting data and getting those rated matches underway. We have plans to add a facility whereby you'll be able to display your DCMr in some form of sig but right now we're focussing on tuning the site, and completing the end user interface (it'll save those 'harassed' DCM admins from a bunch of work!)

We're still feeling our way a bit, we don't want to put too much 'admin' around this, but we do need some way to avoid abuse. Your thoughts will be most welcome, either in this thread or over at the defconmatch.com site.
MadSeven
level2
level2

Re: Rating System

Postby MadSeven » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:50 am

rippedcap wrote: Your thoughts will be most welcome, either in this thread or over at the defconmatch.com site.

That's how it should be!

Defconmatch.com is still aimed at the slower, more intricate, less knee-jerk-reaction type Defcongame. We are still accepting sign ups for the opening League!
Sign up for the Season Opening League will close this Sunday at 0.00 (GMT), sign up for the Team Leagues will most likely close one week later. Please note that to participate in the leagues, you are not "forced" to play a minimum number of games. You CAN achieve a top 10 rating on a limited number of games!

A few general comments;
    Apart from the two league systems we will soon implement rating for "ad-hoc" matches, more info about this feature will be available soon.
    We have received several requests for an American Time Zone League, but not enough sign ups! If this is for you, register here and visit the forums!
rippedcap
level2
level2

Postby rippedcap » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:42 pm

fyi, the rating manager now includes a graph of your rating changes :)
Amerigo Vespucci
level1
level1

Postby Amerigo Vespucci » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:16 am

Joined! If the diplomacy game I just got out of isn't added, you can rest assured I'll add it tonight!
Siberian Hamster
level1
level1

Rated Diplo Match

Postby Siberian Hamster » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:42 am

Quick unobtrusive plug for a rated diplo game I'm hosting tomorrow night 6.30pm UK time. Details are over on http://www.defconmatch.com. Open to anyone interested and registered over there or clever enough to work out the password if not! :lol:
Amerigo Vespucci
level1
level1

Postby Amerigo Vespucci » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:44 pm

I'm a bit confused about "rated" matches vs. "unrated" ones. What's the difference? And where can I enter a match that I played? I've got screenshots for every single match I've played... does this mean I can enter them all?
rippedcap
level2
level2

Postby rippedcap » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:49 pm

Hi and welcome!

Currently, you can only enter games that include a majority of other members of the site. The reason for that is so that we know the rating of each player so new ratings can be calculated. We'd like to be able to apply our rating system to all players but that's not possible yet.

(Have a look at the Rating Manager to see what I mean)

Scheduled matches appear on the match planner :)

-- Rip
Amerigo Vespucci
level1
level1

Postby Amerigo Vespucci » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:27 pm

Bummer. So I guess that really limits what you can do with it right now, then. Too bad... I just finished a perfect diplo game.

Return to “General”