SPEED UP OR SLOW IT DOWN

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Whats your Speed

Poll ended at Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:08 pm

Keep it Realtime as any faster is unmanageable.
10%
Stick it on X5 if im not doing anything.
78%
Ive moved my units and launched my bombers speed it up to x10 and watch the fireworks.
No votes
ok the countdown timer has started and ive launched everything stick it up to x20.
12%

Total votes: 49
Ares106
level1
level1

Postby Ares106 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:01 pm

I compleatly agree bert_the_turtle

Except for :

bert_the_turtle wrote:If "not doing anything else" includes "not even interested in watching my brillant plan unfold in all its glory", then the answer everyone would give, I think, clearly is "as fast as possible". That doesn't help us, of course :)

Even when doing nothing, at certain points of the game, when your opponent has the capability to surprise you with a massive attack (bomber+sub ..etc or any other combination). It is a lot safer to stick with 5x-10x so that you notice this in time and you are able to counter it.

Ps: Regardless of this though, it's always fun (at least for me) to watch yours or other player's "brilliant plan unfold" . :wink:
Raygun
level1
level1

Postby Raygun » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:11 pm

Sorry in advance, but I need to put this post on 1X while I try to understand bert_the_turtle's math :? It went way over my head... but then so does the physics of Pong :lol:

Dyslexics of the world... Untie!!
Benno
level1
level1

Postby Benno » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:18 am

I think the game is fine as it is. Although I think I have seen it happen, I believe it's a very rare occasion that somebody goes to 1x for the sole purpose of annoying someone else. However, people intent on deliberately annoying someone else by whinging "faster!! for f'cks sake!" is very common.

I hate whingers. My policy on the matter is "be considerate, and no whinging". In other words: 1x is fine if you need it, but if you don't then speed it up. Simple.

My advice: host the game yourself and tell people this policy before you start. Remind them as necessary. Works very well for me. Very rarely, someone puts it on 1x and forgets about it. In those cases a gentle "are you still busy?" is usually enough. Many times the response is 'yep, can't talk, targetting nukes...."

Taking this approach, I find that the vast majority of my games finish with everyone saying 'gg, excellent game', etc, and few disconnecters. People don't like to be called a whinger, and will often shut up once they realise that maybe, just maybe, someone else in the game has a good reason for going slow.
Tragedy
level1
level1

Postby Tragedy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:45 pm

Not everyone has a few hours for a match.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:56 pm

Tragedy wrote:Not everyone has a few hours for a match.

Then play speed defcon. Or set the minimum speed to 5x. Or set the max game time to the time that you have. If you leave everything on default, or join a game that is on default, you should be expecting to have an hour to play the game -- possibly more. Sure, the game could be over in 45 minutes, but that is unlikely.

xander
Counter-Terrorist
level0

Postby Counter-Terrorist » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:30 am

If it's a war between two, three or four countries, the voting on speeding/slowing should do. Otherwise, for the whole damn UN, 5x.
Nameless_
level1
level1

Postby Nameless_ » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:21 pm

Option 3 probably, although I don't really stick to one style.

I find if it's too fast, you're rushing everything and that results in a less satisfying outcome. If the pacing isn't too intense then when the cities do start to burn you can be sure that it's a direct result of your skill, rather than a partly accidental stroke of luck due to frantic spamming.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:06 pm

placing units with random terroteries: 1x (I need some time to find out where I am)
placing units on a selected terretory,almost everything else: 5x
waiting for subs to arrive at the point i send them, doing nothing: 10x
can't do nothing (have already launched everything or have been uterly beaten): 20x
justjokin
level0

Realtime or 20x do you really need anything else... :)

Postby justjokin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:55 pm

God made realtime for a reason!

There is nothing more beautiful than a perfectly timed nuclear carpet of Subs bombers and ICBMS. To get a series of 70 or 80 nukes to walk a perfect pattern of distruction from London to Moscow requires finess and throughness.

The game generally looks coolest when everyone is nuking each other at top speed!

If the game runs as fast as it can, while not being so strict that I can't execute, then I will have maximum fun with maximum number of games! (not to mention maximum number of kills!)

Try managing this Cluster F_Bomb at 5 or 10x with out havin some of them sneak back to the carriers with their payload...

Maybe you can do it, I don't seem to have that yet... and that's why I don't play speed Def.

The basic idea is that every player should endevor to keep the game running at 20X when ever there is not a specific task that requires a lower rate.

Return to “General”