If you want a fast game...

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

The Black Knight
level0

If you want a fast game...

Postby The Black Knight » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:32 am

Make the settings match what you want!

I was playing in a pretty good game today as USSR. After defending a European assault with acceptable casualties (10-20 million tops! :) ) I was preparing a massive counterassault with a beam attack, all my subs, and 3 silos. So, naturally, I set the game to realtime. Well, the host first says "You guys remind me of why I set the minimum to 5x." Ok, whatever. Then, a few minutes later, he says "Sorry guys, this game is going too slow for me" and he shuts down the server!

If you wanted a 5x speed minimum, make it that way! That way, I won't join. And, if the settings aren't how you want, don't wait until DEFCON 1 to shut it down!

I wish I wrote down the host's name, because I forgot it. If there is a "europa" on this board, you were in that game.

"Right, I'll do you for that!"
Artic
level0

Postby Artic » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:13 am

I have seen this plenty of times, those inconsiderate kids should stick to speed DEFCON or go back to CS:S. Also if they run the server, they should make the rules how they like them, thats what I do. I also warn people to leave if they don't like real time and not to quit if they start to lose and you still get both of those things..

Some players irritate me, but most players are decent, they don't complain about real time and they don't drop/shut the server down when they start to lose.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:52 am

Well one thing's for certain: any of the STC war rooms don't have this kind of complication... (war rooms being the ficticious STC servers that are inspired by my STC mod).

*shrugs* maybe there will come a day where clans and groups create forums and [tag] them appropreately so we don't have droppers.

1x is a legitamate speed. 5x is cruising.
Siberian Hamster
level1
level1

Postby Siberian Hamster » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:21 pm

Quite frankly, for me, one of the best things about this game is the player interaction, which 1x allows you to have in spades, which is why I prefer to play with like-minded players. I've nothing against speedfreaks, but it would really help if they made it obvious in their server names so that this kind of problem could be avoided.
ander75it
level2
level2

Re: If you want a fast game...

Postby ander75it » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:16 pm

The Black Knight wrote:I was preparing a massive counterassault with a beam attack

Woa! I am happy that the name "the beam attack" stuck :)
Ander
@=

Message follows, Alpha, Seven, Eight, November, Foxtrot, One, Five, Two, Two
Useful Dave
level2
level2

Postby Useful Dave » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:03 pm

I Personally don't see what the obsession with Speed is, I was playing a 5X Game yesterday and found it quite different from Normal 1X Play. For one thing I had to rush to get units down because the Server host had Set it to 5X and above, meaning that I Couldn't place them in Half Fleets or I would lose some. Also ingame there was a general lack of Communication, Why? becaquse everyone was trying to run their Armies, not having time to chatter. 1X Speed is Good, 5X should be used when no-one is doing anything yet.
mobius
level2
level2

Postby mobius » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:46 pm

I think your missing the point of players who want to play at faster speeds, just because you have people asking to speed things up it don’t mean that’s their preferred playing speed, ill happily play at real-time when I am coordinating a joint Fighter bomber attack, or if I am getting my subs ready to launch a first strike, but once I’ve completed what I need to do ill smack it up a few speeds until the action starts.
what’s the point of watching your units move in slow motion while not engaging the enemy, if required ill slow it back down again to real-time to do that micro stuff.
It just seems that some people are happy to play at real time and wait 5 mins for nothing to happen and more often than not its one player that will be holding up the other players.
I have yet to see a player who over micromanages there battles actually win a game as all they are doing is making the game more complex than it needs to be.
It would be nice for those slower players to keep an eye on the speed modifier at the top of the screen and if they see that they are the only ones playing at Real-time or x5 and everyone else is at x10 or above because nothing is happening then why not speed up and join them. I guess there will be those who will say that playing at Real-time or X5 guarantees a winning score then I say bollocks does it as it no different to a player who manages his battles at x5 or x10.
All that these so called speed freaks are asking is that you just speed it up when your not doing anything because slowing the game down to real-time while those nukes are falling onto your territory aren’t going to make your silos target them any more accurately.
I guess the people who like faster speeds are the same people who are excellent players at C&C, Warcraft III and Warhammer Dawn of War as they are more adept at managing a fast active battlefield.

I understand that people do prefere a slower game and that allows you to watch those skirmishes unfold.
i dont know what you guys do when nothing is happening on the battle field as it would bore the hell out of me waiting 10 mins for Defon 3 to start. and also there are those hosts that increase the size of the world to 150 or play bigworld mode. surly you cant say that playing realtime in a larger world is fun.
Useful Dave
level2
level2

Postby Useful Dave » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:59 pm

Well, I can agree with Bigworld, I Tested it one game and...It was... Odd.
Luk0r
level1
level1

Postby Luk0r » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:19 pm

1X is so slow it annoys me.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:46 pm

Someone (I think GeneticFreak) has a good story about someone who consistantly demanded higher speed.......and GeneticFreak pretty much destroyed him on 1x.

Personally I don't play at 1x... not enough time.
The Black Knight
level0

Postby The Black Knight » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:35 am

mobius wrote:I think your missing the point of players who want to play at faster speeds, just because you have people asking to speed things up it don’t mean that’s their preferred playing speed.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO problem with people that want to play faster. I will speed it up when I am not doing anything (sometimes a gentle reminder is needed). But if you're the HOST and you don't want to play 1x, then don't allow it! And don't wait till an hour after DEFCON 1 to decide to shut the server down because YOU (the host) made a mistake.
Ares106
level1
level1

Postby Ares106 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:52 am

The Black Knight wrote:I have ABSOLUTELY NO problem with people that want to play faster.

Agreed-however I do take issue with some of what's been said.

mobius wrote:I understand that people do prefere a slower game and that allows you to watch those skirmishes unfold.

No, you really do not, we don’t just sit there to watch things move on the screen. Let me explain.

mobius wrote:what’s the point of watching your units move in slow motion while not engaging the enemy, if required ill slow it back down again to real-time to do that micro stuff.

From experience I realized that ,due to the possibility of sneak attacks, it is far safer to stay at 5x for as long as:
1.your opponent has the capacity to launch a nuke attack against you, weather by sub/bomber.
2. you and your opponent have over 20% of your fleet still in action (either engaged or not)

Times when 10x-20x should be used are: Defcon 5-4 (after setup) and after all silos fired on “Victory Timer”

mobius wrote:It just seems that some people are happy to play at real time and wait 5 mins for nothing to happen and more often than not its one player that will be holding up the other players.
[…] i dont know what you guys do when nothing is happening on the battle field as it would bore the hell out of me waiting 10 mins for Defon 3 to start.

This is where you are wrong again. They are Not waiting for nothing to happen, they are planning and micromanaging units. Just because you don’t Know what to do or don't have anything to do, does Not mean they don’t either!
(although there are will always be some people that will use 1x All the time just to annoy other players, this is Very rare.)

mobius wrote:I have yet to see a player who over micromanages there battles actually win a game as all they are doing is making the game more complex than it needs to be.

I have Yet to see a player that does NOT micromanage a lot, or care about speed (aka leaving speed preference at 10x throughout the game) even come close to beating me. (as I am 21-4 in 1vs1 games)

mobius wrote:I guess the people who like faster speeds are the same people who are excellent players at C&C, Warcraft III and Warhammer Dawn of War as they are more adept at managing a fast active battlefield.

I hate when people make this comparison! So what!? This is Defcon! Not one of your click fest RTS-“instant gratification”, where everyone plays Fastest-est game, that are currently flooding the market. If anything Defcon can be compared to chess or risk.

However, as with chess, there are those people that play Speed chess, I have nothing against this, if you prefer a game that tests your intuition, hand eye coordination and how many times you can click your mouse per second, or how many hotkeys you can press at once, than enjoy your speed chess/ fastest-est RTS style game and/or speed defcon.

But try to understand that there is a difference. A good Starcraft player will Not necessarily make a good Defcon player!
Moreover many other defcon players as well as I would rather use our intelligence and flex our “brain” muscle instead our intuition and mouse hand.

Furthermore I would like to know more about this, it sounds very appealing!
Kuth wrote:Well one thing's for certain: any of the STC war rooms don't have this kind of complication... (war rooms being the ficticious STC servers that are inspired by my STC mod).

Return to “General”