Moderator: Defcon moderators

KungFuAlex
level2
level2

Postby KungFuAlex » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:37 pm

mstcr0w5429 wrote:
KungFuAlex wrote:
KudrigY wrote:

But I think we should make a list of decent HOSTS, not disconnectors, etc. That would do more good than this list...

I agree on that. This list is, in my opinion, silly. No offence.

Do you have a list of player names to contribute to such a list?

I had, in fact, many. But since no list or whatever exsitet I never bothred remembering the names ;)
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:45 pm

mstcr0w5429 wrote:
almo wrote:There's no way to verify if the person reporting is telling the truth.

I'm working on that. Any suggestions?

Mind probes and brutal torture-based interrogations.
Alyssa
level1
level1

Re: Griefers List

Postby Alyssa » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:54 pm

mstcr0w5429 wrote:All games have their share of griefers, lamers and llamas. DEFCON is no exception. So I've decided to create a list of this I come across. Some are just dishonest players, while others will turn tail and disconnect as soon as you launch a nuclear barrage at them. They can of course change their names, but until then, you'll have some idea of who you're dealing with. The list will be updated as more information is gathered. In war, intel is necessary for victory.

Please report griefers and their behavior in the thread for inclusion in the parent.

Backstabbers (please feel free to nominate yourself for this category, this isn't so much a griefer category, closer to a dangerous allies category)
GeneticFreak
Pretorian (sic)
Spacemonkey

Backstabbers, Who Then Lie About Doing So
Ricksist Party

Communications Spammers
Robert

Disconnect When Attacked
GFree (self-reported)
Ricksist Party (2 reports)

Disconnect During Last Minutes of Game
Robert

Disconnect Killing Server
USA

Disconnect When Outnumbered
Dr. Doom

Put Game in Real-Time to Annoy Other Players
Kim Jong Il

*Note that players who leave the game with the consent of the other players are not considered disconnects[/b]

Backstabbing's ok.

The game should let you ignore comms from players you choose.

People who DC when attacked = they lose.

People who DC in last minutes of game = they lose.

People who kill the server when they start losing should be reported to the community, good job.

People who grief with real time should be stopped by the game. The game should allow admins to specify a slowest time setting, or a number of minutes that the game can run at each time setting, to ensure a great gave doesn't turn into an 8 hour marathon because of a griefer.

Finally, the game should allow servers to ban IPs or Steam IDs or what have you - it's your server after all.
GFree
level1
level1

Postby GFree » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:37 pm

Alyssa wrote:Finally, the game should allow servers to ban IPs or Steam IDs or what have you - it's your server after all.

They do, or at least for a while.

I stupidity admitted while waiting in a server lobby that I was somewhat of a serial disconnecter, so the host says "thanks for telling us, bye" and kicks me, but I couldn't reconnect to the server even after restarting Defcon. Having said that, I'm getting a little better at not flipping out so quickly, but it's still hard. This ain't like an FPS where you can crawl your way back up the ladder; here, if your infrastructure gets nuked badly, there's little chance of turning things around. Oh what fun, yay for playing on. :roll:
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2

Revenge is Sweet

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:50 am

It's not related to the list, but I just played a Diplomacy game where I was ineptly backstabbed by FrozenHellfire and Grey Adept. The first strike of subs off my coast was eliminated. Then they sent bombers and silos. Some hits, nothing on my infrastructure. Then they decided to fight amongst themselves. At this point, I launched bombers, silos and subs at their cities. They did quite well, hitting a good number of large cities. So at the end of the game, I had 53 nukes left, won by a good margin, and both incompetent backstabbers ran away from the game without saying a word.
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:54 am

Alyssa wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:All games have their share of griefers, lamers and llamas. DEFCON is no exception. So I've decided to create a list of this I come across. Some are just dishonest players, while others will turn tail and disconnect as soon as you launch a nuclear barrage at them. They can of course change their names, but until then, you'll have some idea of who you're dealing with. The list will be updated as more information is gathered. In war, intel is necessary for victory.

Please report griefers and their behavior in the thread for inclusion in the parent.

Backstabbers (please feel free to nominate yourself for this category, this isn't so much a griefer category, closer to a dangerous allies category)
GeneticFreak
Pretorian (sic)
Spacemonkey

Backstabbers, Who Then Lie About Doing So
Ricksist Party

Communications Spammers
Robert

Disconnect When Attacked
GFree (self-reported)
Ricksist Party (2 reports)

Disconnect During Last Minutes of Game
Robert

Disconnect Killing Server
USA

Disconnect When Outnumbered
Dr. Doom

Put Game in Real-Time to Annoy Other Players
Kim Jong Il

*Note that players who leave the game with the consent of the other players are not considered disconnects[/b]

Backstabbing's ok.

The game should let you ignore comms from players you choose.

People who DC when attacked = they lose.

People who DC in last minutes of game = they lose.

People who kill the server when they start losing should be reported to the community, good job.

People who grief with real time should be stopped by the game. The game should allow admins to specify a slowest time setting, or a number of minutes that the game can run at each time setting, to ensure a great gave doesn't turn into an 8 hour marathon because of a griefer.

Finally, the game should allow servers to ban IPs or Steam IDs or what have you - it's your server after all.

Thanks! With input from yourself and other users, the list can continually be updated and revised to best serve the DEFCON community. The game does allow the admin to set the slowest time setting in the game lobby, but not the number of minutes per gaming speed. I suggested on the forums about a week and a couple days after DEFCON's release to be able to track Steam IDs, which could be used to selectively ban a user, but no luck so far. Try suggesting it in the Think Tank again, maybe it will be picked up.
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Re: Revenge is Sweet

Postby Spacemonkey » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:55 am

mstcr0w5429 wrote:It's not related to the list, but I just played a Diplomacy game where I was ineptly backstabbed by FrozenHellfire and Grey Adept. The first strike of subs off my coast was eliminated. Then they sent bombers and silos. Some hits, nothing on my infrastructure. Then they decided to fight amongst themselves. At this point, I launched bombers, silos and subs at their cities. They did quite well, hitting a good number of large cities. So at the end of the game, I had 53 nukes left, won by a good margin, and both incompetent backstabbers ran away from the game without saying a word.

omg

If no-one backstabed in a Diplomacy game then the game would go on forever.

don't be so stupid.
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:59 am

Spacemonkey wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:It's not related to the list, but I just played a Diplomacy game where I was ineptly backstabbed by FrozenHellfire and Grey Adept. The first strike of subs off my coast was eliminated. Then they sent bombers and silos. Some hits, nothing on my infrastructure. Then they decided to fight amongst themselves. At this point, I launched bombers, silos and subs at their cities. They did quite well, hitting a good number of large cities. So at the end of the game, I had 53 nukes left, won by a good margin, and both incompetent backstabbers ran away from the game without saying a word.

omg

don't be so stupid.

Bad monkey! This was after we had kicked out two players and bombed them to rubble, leaving a three player alliance left.
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:03 am

sorry

but still complaining about backstabbing in Diplomacy?
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:04 am

Spacemonkey wrote:sorry

but still complaining about backstabbing in Diplomacy?

No, I'm not complaining. I'm rejoicing in crushing my traitorous allies.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:41 am

Spacemonkey wrote:

omg

don't be so stupid.

Um... once again, nobody backstabs in the Defcon games I play and they still end on time.

Why do you seem to have this notion that players MUST backstab in order to win or enjoy the game?
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:44 am

Kuth wrote:

omg

don't be so stupid.

Um... once again, nobody backstabs in the Defcon games I play and they still end on time.

Why do you seem to have this notion that players MUST backstab in order to win or enjoy the game?

How else are you supposed to play Diplomacy if no one leaves the alliance? Just sit around and have tea parties and talk about the weather?
Last edited by Spacemonkey on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:32 am

So this is about diplomacy?

I thought you meant every game type.
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:42 pm

Kuth wrote:So this is about diplomacy?

I thought you meant every game type.

Lastof
level2
level2

Postby Lastof » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:00 pm

You can add "Deaf Con" to the hosts who quit list. He quit just before the game ended, and I was winning. He did it cause I slowed down to backstab my ally to ensure my 1st position (I was only 5 points ahead, and it was survivor).

All the others who played, good game, I enjoyed it.

Return to “General”