Griefers List

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

daset
level3
level3
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:56 am

Re: Griefers List

Postby daset » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:29 am

mstcr0w5429 wrote:Backstabbers, Who Then Lie About Doing So
Ricksist Party


You do realize, this is the highest form of social engineering present within Defcon?
User avatar
Spacemonkey
level4
level4
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:31 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Postby Spacemonkey » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:37 am

everything I say in Defcon is a lie.

^ even that was a lie.
User avatar
Kuth
level4
level4
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:55 am
Location: Keele Imperium
Contact:

Postby Kuth » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:53 am

Never backstabbed. Been backstabbed by an ally once. He did not win the game.

All winners in my games make it there without backstabbing.

So please, never say backstabbing is essential to gameplay.
User avatar
Spacemonkey
level4
level4
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:31 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Postby Spacemonkey » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:02 am

Kuth wrote:All winners in my games make it there without backstabbing.


What about the losers in all those games? if they backstabed they could have won.


So backstabbing is essential to gameplay if those losers need to win, otherwise they will still be losers.
dawnchorus
level2
level2
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:35 pm

Postby dawnchorus » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:43 am

Dear mobius,

there = in that place
their = belonging or pertaining to them
they're = contraction of they are.

Thank you.
User avatar
Spacemonkey
level4
level4
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:31 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Griefers List

Postby Spacemonkey » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:37 am

mstcr0w5429 wrote:*Note that players who leave the game with the consent of the other players are not considered disconnects


So say if your house is on fire, and you're about to be burnt alive, do you still have to ask permission from some random people you have never meat on the other side of the world?

Sure it's annoying, but i'm sure a lot of the time people who leave have valid reason, there a a few who don't, but I don't think everyone should be punished for the mis-deeds of a few.
User avatar
Kuth
level4
level4
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:55 am
Location: Keele Imperium
Contact:

Postby Kuth » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:08 am

Spacemonkey wrote:
Kuth wrote:All winners in my games make it there without backstabbing.


What about the losers in all those games? if they backstabed they could have won.


So backstabbing is essential to gameplay if those losers need to win, otherwise they will still be losers.


Could have. Didn't. Possibly. Backstabbing is not a surefire way to win, and backstabbing = essential is not an opinion held by everyone in this forum.

But this is a whole seperate debate for a whole seperate thread that would likely involve flame and heated opinion, but would pretty much boil down to 'you play Defcon your way, and I play Defcon my way.'[/u]
User avatar
DueAccident
level3
level3
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:30 am

Postby DueAccident » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:37 am

I think disconnecting in a game is pretty low if you don't have a valid reason. You'd be annoyed if the other guy dropped and the server shutdown on you just as you were going to attack. I mean going by Spacemonkey's theory, you could fire all your nukes as soon as Defcon 1 arrived, see if you get a large enough score to stay, if not then you could leave. That's not really going to be fun for the other person if you jsut leave as soon as Defcon 1 comes around.
I always stay to the end of everygame, no matter what state I am in, or how many players there are, because then I'd get replaced by a CPU, and everyone knows they aren't fun to play against. The only time I leave a game before the end is if my connection dies on me, and I have no power over that.
User avatar
Spacemonkey
level4
level4
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:31 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Postby Spacemonkey » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:28 pm

DueAccident wrote:I mean going by Spacemonkey's theory, you could fire all your nukes as soon as Defcon 1 arrived, see if you get a large enough score to stay, if not then you could leave. That's not really going to be fun for the other person if you jsut leave as soon as Defcon 1 comes around.


Well if you fire all your nukes, then afterwards you can't do anything anyway, you just sit there and watch, whether you stay or leave and let the CPU take over, it's not going to affect the other players, because you have no nukes left to affect the other players left.

Of course it goes without saying the the host should have to stay till the end, also I almost always stay to the end.
User avatar
ArGggh
level0
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:13 am

Postby ArGggh » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:01 pm

I never backstabbed.
Never.
realy:)

Thats the most interesting part of the game :twisted:
User avatar
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:14 am
Location: New Hampshire

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:26 pm

GeneticFreak wrote:so why did you consider it griefing :P we ain't ruining the game for anyone.


Dunno, I got confused.
User avatar
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:14 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Griefers List

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:28 pm

Spacemonkey wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:*Note that players who leave the game with the consent of the other players are not considered disconnects


So say if your house is on fire, and you're about to be burnt alive, do you still have to ask permission from some random people you have never meat on the other side of the world?

Sure it's annoying, but i'm sure a lot of the time people who leave have valid reason, there a a few who don't, but I don't think everyone should be punished for the mis-deeds of a few.


Obviously, the being burnt alive scenario means you can disconnect from a game, assuming the wiring in your home hasn't been eaten away first, but what are the chances of that happening?
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Griefers List

Postby Montyphy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:50 pm

mstcr0w5429 wrote:In war, intel is necessary for victory.


That's not true. I have AMD and I've won many games. :P
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:14 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Griefers List

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Montyphy wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:In war, intel is necessary for victory.


That's not true. I have AMD and I've won many games. :P


Hey, I feel your pain. I have an AMD in the desktop, although I play on my Pentium M laptop, I've purchased 4 AMD CPUs in the past (1 because the third had broken pins when it came out with the heatsink), and I'm an AMD shareholder. So yes, for the good of my investments, please know that intel is necessary for victory, but victory runs on AMD. Or at least hopefully once the AMD K8L comes out.
User avatar
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: UK

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:17 pm

And so the great thread derailment begins... :P

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest