Color Problems

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

nils
level1
level1

Color Problems

Postby nils » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:18 am

Hmm, I am having a problem with the colors of the alliances. I am not quite colorblind, but I have serious color vision issues. There are colors which are "close" in contrast or whatever which I simply cannot distinguish. It's a bit like the problem that many guys have, of not being able to distinguish red and green very well, just much more severe.

In Defcon, I can not distinguish the green, yellow and orange alliance colors.

For me, I think it would be good if the defualt green and orange could be a whole lot darker. However, this does not solve the issue for people who are even worse off than I am. For those, some sort of textual information would be required (and I know I would use it as well). I suggest to include the alliance behind - or in front of - the playername in brackets. Like "[GREEN]Nils" or [YELLOW][DEMO]John". Colors could be abbreviated or something, and all of this could be an option, but it would REALLY help me out with playing the game and I doubt it would be too hard to implement.

Thanks,
- Nils
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:37 am

I don't have any colour seeing problems, but even I find some hard to see, especially when their is alot of radiation around.
KungFuAlex
level2
level2

Postby KungFuAlex » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:17 pm

Spacemonkey wrote:I don't have any colour seeing problems, but even I find some hard to see, especially when their is alot of radiation around.

agreed, but then I just turn off radiation and I see it ;)
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:31 pm

But radiation is useful for seeing where an enemy has really been hit.

I really want it to be an overly, like populations.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:06 am

IV hate the colour blind, it's a known fact. I commented on the difficulty in distinguishing between red and green Darwinians in the last game.
hellcatv
level2
level2

Postby hellcatv » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:25 am

you know how you can add those OpenGL effects in the ATI driver control panel (old fashioned, ascii art, etc) ? maybe one of them makes it visible to you--or maybe you can a) figure out how to hack the driver control panel to make red and green more visible (by hacking a fragment program to do something about the red and green channels... ) or b) ask ATI to make a color blind mode for their control panel...it would probably only take an engineer a few days to hack that one out given their infrastructure for crazy postprocessing effects they already have in place
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
JoshB
level1
level1

Postby JoshB » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:52 am

I agree with Nils... I am also colorblind (i.e. dichromat. Monochromats i.e. just B+W are extremely rare.) I have a hard time distinguishing yellow, green, and orange in the shades presented in the game. Sometimes going to the ally panel makes it easier to tell. Otherwise, I try to stick myself on red or blue teams and nuke everything else! They're all the same to me!!

P.S. Funny thing, on my first game I didn't know the colors yet and people were commenting by team color (c'mon green, wtf yellow) and I was totally confused. I almost had to ask who is yellow, but then I figured out it was me! lol
unseen
level1
level1

Postby unseen » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:26 pm

Is it any help at all using any of the more retro themes for defcon? I`m thinking more along the lines of the plain black background/white borders looking themes (which means there`s a lot more separation of colours than there is against a blue/green/whatever fading background). There`s at least two themes like that floating around the mod forum.

PM me about it if you want and my suggestions are no help, it`s something I`m pretty interested in due to other things I do.
On and on, South of Heaven.
nils
level1
level1

Postby nils » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I can try those hacks/themes, but that does not solve the problem in general. I feel it is somehting that is easily fixeable by Introversion, so a general solution ought to be implemented in a patch...

Return to “General”