10%

Total votes: 41
wanallo
level1
level1

Play for the win or for the fun?

Postby wanallo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:29 pm

So what kind of player are you?

I'm A winner Only! If I'm not winning, I'll leave (and maybe have a sulk in the corner)

I play for the fun! My master plan has failed, he's nuked my cities, still its a bloody good show!

I like a bit of both! Winning is good, but having a laugh is more important! moving to Defcon 1 2 3 O'clock, 4 O'clock rock....

I'm a team player! As long as my team wins, I'll take one for us!

Where did I leave that sub?.... Im sure I parked it here somewhere!!! (AKA. Other!)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:47 pm

Subs? Defcon has subs!? o_0

xander
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:06 am

I play for fun, but when there's a clear winner (particularly when it's not me) my interest dies like my childhood just did from installing Ubuntu.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:56 am

I personally play for fun, but I have no qualms about taking one for the team. If my team can win by my brave action as a whipping boy, so be it!
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:04 am

I won't lie, I play for the win, but I also accept my defeats fairly, losing is also part of the game, and without losing one would never improve his winning

But if I was #2 in the rank and you, my ally, is #1, you're pretty damn certain I will backstab you. Unless its a team (no defection) game.

In a team game, you can be certain that I will give 100% effort for the victory of the team, even if I end up not having the biggest score among my team (maybe because I was spending my nukes on the infrastructure).

And wtf is "taking one for the team"? If I die (nuked horribly) I'm useless for the team.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
Little Boy
level1
level1

Postby Little Boy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:38 am

GeneticFreak wrote:wtf is "taking one for the team"? If I die (nuked horribly) I'm useless for the team.

ah, but maybe the nukes that have horribly killed you would have horribly killed even MORE people had they been aimed at your teammate... It's like there's a bullet flying across the room toward Whitney Houston, and your continent is Kevin Costner - you just have to shout "NOOOOOOO" in slow motion and fling yourself into the bullet's path. I like to think that's what any of us would do - I certainly would. How can that not be worthwhile?
Lt. Gen. Abrams
level1
level1

Postby Lt. Gen. Abrams » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:30 am

I only play for teh fun... i never won for that matter...
GFree
level1
level1

Postby GFree » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:55 am

The fun is in the winning. :twisted:

In my case, a bit of both.
UsF
level1
level1

Postby UsF » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:08 am

I play for both, winning and fun and I also like to play a teamgame, even if it is only in diplomacy
(e.g. allied with someone, lost most of my stuff but could help my allied teammate become first. That was nice too)
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:53 am

Little Boy wrote:
GeneticFreak wrote:wtf is "taking one for the team"? If I die (nuked horribly) I'm useless for the team.

ah, but maybe the nukes that have horribly killed you would have horribly killed even MORE people had they been aimed at your teammate... It's like there's a bullet flying across the room toward Whitney Houston, and your continent is Kevin Costner - you just have to shout "NOOOOOOO" in slow motion and fling yourself into the bullet's path. I like to think that's what any of us would do - I certainly would. How can that not be worthwhile?

and how the hell do I fling myself to the nuke path?
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:18 am

GeneticFreak wrote:and how the hell do I fling myself to the nuke path?

Tectonic plate movements ofcourse.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Little Boy
level1
level1

Postby Little Boy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:21 am

Montyphy wrote:

Indeed. Possibly hastened along their geological way by a few well-placed megablasts.

It's all about lateral thinking
dawnchorus
level2
level2

Postby dawnchorus » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:25 am

Inasmuch as it is only a game and the consequences of losing are insignificant, it's not worth getting too upset about a loss, and as GeneticFreak says, you'll never get better if you win all the time (... even though you probably don't need to). If everyone played like a clown, there would be no point playing and little pleasure in winning. If everyone took it too seriously, I'd be suspicious of people's sense of perspective. If I am thoroughly beaten, that's no fun. If I thoroughly beat my opponent, neither is that.

Best of all is to have a good, close game where up until the last few minutes it's still not clear who will win. That way, immense pleasure can be had from winning or losing. It's also when your cunning and tactical know-how come into play.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:52 am

Little Boy wrote:
Montyphy wrote:

Indeed. Possibly hastened along their geological way by a few well-placed megablasts.

It's all about lateral thinking

"Holy Shit"
"What?"
"America just moved away from a nuke"
Eldkraft
level1
level1

Postby Eldkraft » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:04 pm

I play for the fun and I think it's fun to win soo....

Return to “General”