Sore loser??

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

User avatar
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Posts: 4667
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)
Contact:

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:08 pm

Redemption042 wrote:whiny ass titty baby.


That phrase doesn't even make sense.

Personally, for once, I'm not outraged that someone quit like that. You should bask in the warm "heheh, he lost so bad he couldn't take it and quit" glow ;)

Maybe it's because I'm not overly competitive and aggressive (although I like to think I give as good as I get :P ) but I'd have been perfectly satisfied by that victory. At least you could finish the remaining 7 minutes against the CPU.

That said, if I was the loser I'd have stayed.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:41 pm

shinygerbil wrote:
Redemption042 wrote:whiny ass titty baby.


That phrase doesn't even make sense.

Personally, for once, I'm not outraged that someone quit like that. You should bask in the warm "heheh, he lost so bad he couldn't take it and quit" glow ;)

Maybe it's because I'm not overly competitive and aggressive (although I like to think I give as good as I get :P ) but I'd have been perfectly satisfied by that victory. At least you could finish the remaining 7 minutes against the CPU.

That said, if I was the loser I'd have stayed.

shinygerbil, you just said everything that I have been trying to say, only more clearly. Thank you.

xander
prozachar
level1
level1
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:57 pm

Postby prozachar » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:45 pm

Redemption042 wrote:As to the person who says they've got better stuff to do, when you start up a game there is an unspoken agreement that you will play it to completion. If you don't intend to finish the game then why are you starting the game?


1) I know of no such agreement. Last time I checked, playing this game is entirely voluntary.

2) If you insist, after your opponent has conceded defeat, on continuing to play the game just to see how high you can get your score, that's unsportsmanlike.

3) I play games with at least one of three purposes: To win, to have fun, and to learn. If the game state for me has degenerated to the point where none of those are occuring, nor do I have any reasonable expectation that they will start occurring later, there's no reason for me to be there.

For example, I have laundry to do. I decide to put it off in favor of playing. The utility of the entertainment value (a function of winning, having fun, and learning) of Defcon is greater than the utility of clean clothes at this point in my life. Suppose I lose my entire navy and airforce during Defcon 2. Suddenly, the utility of clean clothes starts looking pretty good in comparison to the rapidly diminishing utility of continuing to play.

If you're complaining about opponents who accept defeat and resign (which costs you nothing tangible) in an INTERNET GAME, you might want to re-examine your priorities in life.

(all of these situations assume 1v1)
User avatar
Angel of Death
level3
level3
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Oklahoma USA
Contact:

Postby Angel of Death » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:01 am

prozachar wrote:
Redemption042 wrote:As to the person who says they've got better stuff to do, when you start up a game there is an unspoken agreement that you will play it to completion. If you don't intend to finish the game then why are you starting the game?


1) I know of no such agreement. Last time I checked, playing this game is entirely voluntary.

2) If you insist, after your opponent has conceded defeat, on continuing to play the game just to see how high you can get your score, that's unsportsmanlike.

3) I play games with at least one of three purposes: To win, to have fun, and to learn. If the game state for me has degenerated to the point where none of those are occuring, nor do I have any reasonable expectation that they will start occurring later, there's no reason for me to be there.

For example, I have laundry to do. I decide to put it off in favor of playing. The utility of the entertainment value (a function of winning, having fun, and learning) of Defcon is greater than the utility of clean clothes at this point in my life. Suppose I lose my entire navy and airforce during Defcon 2. Suddenly, the utility of clean clothes starts looking pretty good in comparison to the rapidly diminishing utility of continuing to play.

If you're complaining about opponents who accept defeat and resign (which costs you nothing tangible) in an INTERNET GAME, you might want to re-examine your priorities in life.

(all of these situations assume 1v1)



Alright...........................................................................................

I started this post not because he quite on me, but because he said what I did to win was "Lame". I play this game to unwind from a busy day at work or just because I realy enjoy a challenge from a "person" and not AI from a computer. My PRIORITIES lie first with my kids and my family. I play this when I have spare time. It is my way to relax, but when I get called a name and then quit the game because you can't stand to loose..................That person needs to sort their Priorites!!! :evil:
prozachar
level1
level1
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:57 pm

Postby prozachar » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:17 am

The guy is a fucker because he called you lame. I never meant to imply otherwise. Anybody who quits with a hail of insults directed at the other player(s) is a fucker, and is worthy of being lampooned here or anywhere else.
User avatar
Angel of Death
level3
level3
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Oklahoma USA
Contact:

Postby Angel of Death » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:21 am

prozachar wrote:The guy is a fucker because he called you lame. I never meant to imply otherwise. Anybody who quits with a hail of insults directed at the other player(s) is a fucker, and is worthy of being lampooned here or anywhere else.


LMAO!!! :lol:
Redemption042
level1
level1
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:10 pm
Location: Goleta, CA USA

Postby Redemption042 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:39 am

prozachar wrote:
Redemption042 wrote:As to the person who says they've got better stuff to do, when you start up a game there is an unspoken agreement that you will play it to completion. If you don't intend to finish the game then why are you starting the game?


1) I know of no such agreement. Last time I checked, playing this game is entirely voluntary.

2) If you insist, after your opponent has conceded defeat, on continuing to play the game just to see how high you can get your score, that's unsportsmanlike.

3) I play games with at least one of three purposes: To win, to have fun, and to learn. If the game state for me has degenerated to the point where none of those are occuring, nor do I have any reasonable expectation that they will start occurring later, there's no reason for me to be there.

For example, I have laundry to do. I decide to put it off in favor of playing. The utility of the entertainment value (a function of winning, having fun, and learning) of Defcon is greater than the utility of clean clothes at this point in my life. Suppose I lose my entire navy and airforce during Defcon 2. Suddenly, the utility of clean clothes starts looking pretty good in comparison to the rapidly diminishing utility of continuing to play.

If you're complaining about opponents who accept defeat and resign (which costs you nothing tangible) in an INTERNET GAME, you might want to re-examine your priorities in life.

(all of these situations assume 1v1)


1. I don't know about you, but I certainly believe such an agreement exists. I wouldn't want to play a game with someone who, AT THE START, only intends to play to defcon 3. Maybe that's just me, though.

2. This sounds like the whole 'scrub' thing from another topic. I don't think it is at all unsportsmanlike to see how much you win by. However, I suspect that that is a view point that we won't agree on.

3. I don't know about you, but I get my greatest entertainment when I'm fighting against the odds. That's just me. If you are losing as bad as you say you should just say something like "Hey, you mind if I quit?" I would respond something along the lines of "yeah, good game."

I have a feeling we both share the same point of views except for one difference. To me the burden of politeness rests upon the individual wanting to quit.

oh well, I think these last two posts are the longest I've ever written on a forum. I'm naturally more of a lurker. I think I shall return to my lurking lair.
cleverivan
level1
level1
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:35 am
Location: One Nuke ahead of yours

Postby cleverivan » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:50 am

Well I haven't quit yet even if my butt was kicked big time. (That's if and when I can join a game. Having probs with a joining a few IPs :( ) But I always compliment the person on their win then get the ice pack to reduce the bruising on my butt :lol:
Eldkraft
level1
level1
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:38 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby Eldkraft » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:06 pm

I want to use this thread to apologize to user: Aim here who was playing a game on my server. I forgot to turn off 'Speedfan' and sometimes this causes my computer to crash while gaming which was what happened. So Aim Here, if you read this. GG! Congrats on the win. Cya around.

..and sorry to all on this forum who read this...

tata
HermanKahn
level1
level1
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:37 am
Location: Peoria, IL
Contact:

Postby HermanKahn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:42 am

Yeah, I think this has happened to everyone a few times. Sore losers, infantile kids quitting five minutes into defcon 1 and shutting down the server, etc. On the other hand, I think most people are pretty graceful. I played my greatest match ever a few days ago (ended up being approximately 515 to <70 in a four player game) and only one person dropped. The others congratulated me on my insanely good win. I was definitely thankful to the host for not closing that one down before the game ran its full course.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest