General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

naterd00d
level1
level1

uh oh...defcon was copied?

Postby naterd00d » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:58 pm

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=3759

found this game while i was looking around...doesnt look like defcon was very original anymore
almo
level1
level1

Re: uh oh...defcon was copied?

Postby almo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:00 pm

naterd00d wrote:http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=3759

found this game while i was looking around...doesnt look like defcon was very original anymore

Looks like a very different game to me. Like saying Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 are the same game. Yeah, they're both FPSs. BUT, they are massively different in gameplay style.
Almo!
Game Programmer - Behaviour Interactive
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:05 pm

"The game strikes a good balance between military and economics. Each region in the world starts with a given number of population, which grows over time. The more population you have, the more you can build on each turn. To grow the population and move armies or launch nukes, you need sufficient food and oil - both of which is produced in each region but can also be bought and sold on the world market."

About the only thing similar I can see at a breif glance would be the context, which isn't exactly original anyway.
Skax459
level1
level1

Postby Skax459 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:16 pm

That game has resource management and much smaller territories- and more politics means less senseless destruction.
Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Postby Sr_Dela » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:53 pm

Look up "Defcon 5" in that very site. In fact just search under "Armageddon" you'll find ALOT of games like this. After all, this game was never an original idea, it was based off of a fictional game played in "War Games". The main difference between this and those is that this one wasn't a flop. IV have perfected it.
shole
level1
level1

Postby shole » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:53 am

well damn, now i want my money back!
let's go burn IV offices down!
the bastards, dare think a thought someone had had before!
they already attributed their ripoffery on wargames in every interview published.. LIES!
clever tactics there

Return to “General”