Do you play other Military Srategy Games ...

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

the_redstar_swl
level2
level2
Location: Bravo, Five, Delta, Authenticate Launch Codes: Zulu, Oscar, Delta, Nine, Fiver, Three, Gamma...

Postby the_redstar_swl » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:55 am

Crusader Scott wrote:LOL! My Mk V Ogre can beat your Bolo! :)

HAH! It doesn't even have a battleshield.

Lets take a look at the armament of a Mk XXXIII:
Main:
2 200cm Hellbores, 5 megatons/second.
4 240cm howitzers.

Secondary:
14 20cm Hellbores.
10 40mm breach loading mortars.
Heavy VLS sytem.
A large number of small-caliber high-velocity projectile weapons for close-in defence, anti-missile and anti-personnel fire.

It also has a battleshield and a counter-grav system powerful enough to make orbital insertions and allow flight at speeds up to 500 km/h.

The Ogre Mk V only has (According to its record sheet):
2 Main guns.
6 Secondary guns.
6 Missiles.
12 anti-personnel guns.

It has no battleshield and no counter-grav system.

In other words, A Bolo would shoot it a couple of times and then grind the glowing scrap into the ground.
Sable Keech
level0

Postby Sable Keech » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:15 am

For those Op Flash fans - don't forget Armed Assault is out soon - Bohemia finally have a UK publisher, so it should be out fairly soon!! :P

http://www.armedassault.com/
mxlm
level1
level1

Postby mxlm » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:54 am

Operational Art of War
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin, Afrika Corps (if you play only one wargame in your life, make it CM: AK)
Close Combat (well, not so much recently)

Since the original poster included things that were most definitely not military strategy games (I'm looking at you, Laser Squad Nemesis. You too, Sub Command), I'll toss these out there as well.
IL-2 Sturmovik/Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters
Strike Fighters/Wings Over Europe
and X-Com 1 & 3

I have to say, though, that Operation Flashpoint was thoroughly unimpressive. Arcadey vehicles, utterly broken netcode (yes, yes, they fixed that in the expansion--but I'm not going to buy an expansion to patch the original game to an acceptable level), truncated view and engagement ranges, screwy AT and AA missiles, and so on.

And it only let you save once per mission. That's a big no-no in my book.
A. Smith
level2
level2

Postby A. Smith » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:42 am

i used to play Allied General and Axis genral. then Panzer general, the sequel to those games. more recently, i play Warcraft 3, AA, BF 1942/2 as well as Rome total war (planning on buying Medieval 2 total war as soon as it comes out).
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:07 am

People's Tactics and Battle of Wesnoth is a good, freeware, hex-based military game.

That said, I used to play alot of KOEI games in the past, games like: Samkok (english title: Romance of the three kingdom) series, L'Empereur, etc

Honestly tho, the Samkok/RTK series is the best (and the action game of the franchise, Dynasty Warriors). Sun Tzu all the way :D
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
Ares106
level1
level1

Postby Ares106 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:44 pm

mxlm wrote:Operational Art of War
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin, Afrika Corps (if you play only one wargame in your life, make it CM: AK)

Thanks a lot! now i am addicted to Defcon and Barbarossa to Berlin.......
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:18 am

Ares106 wrote:
mxlm wrote:Operational Art of War

Thanks a lot! now i am addicted to Defcon and Barbarossa to Berlin.......

Hah! Once you play Combat Mission, you are hooked for life! Just wait for the killer addiction that comes with Combat Mission: Shock Force (a modern variant using the new CM engine).

Redstar:
HAH! It doesn't even have a battleshield.

Lets take a look at the armament of a Mk XXXIII:
Main:
2 200cm Hellbores, 5 megatons/second.
4 240cm howitzers.

Secondary:
14 20cm Hellbores.
10 40mm breach loading mortars.
Heavy VLS sytem.
A large number of small-caliber high-velocity projectile weapons for close-in defence, anti-missile and anti-personnel fire.

It also has a battleshield and a counter-grav system powerful enough to make orbital insertions and allow flight at speeds up to 500 km/h.

The Ogre Mk V only has (According to its record sheet):
2 Main guns.
6 Secondary guns.
6 Missiles.
12 anti-personnel guns.

It has no battleshield and no counter-grav system.

In other words, A Bolo would shoot it a couple of times and then grind the glowing scrap into the ground.

That's not exactly a fair comparison as the Bolo Mk XXXIII was deployed sometime AFTER the year 3356 (the year the Mk XXXII was deployed), way after the near-future combat of OGRE/GEV. A fair comparison would be a OGRE MK V versus a Bolo Mk V---in which case the OGRE would win since it was fully AI capable and had two main guns and missiles versus a single 190mm railgun and only SAM missiles on the BOLO Mk 5.

(I think we both know too much about OGRES and BOLOS at this point. :lol: )
Oddball_uk
level0

Postby Oddball_uk » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:25 pm

been playing LSN for a long time.. played CBM and total war. all good games but LSN is still in my day to day gaming. ps Hi there Scott not seen your name on the LSN forums for a while. :D
Maj. T. J. 'King' Kong
level0

Postby Maj. T. J. 'King' Kong » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:38 pm

I used to play a lot of strategy games in the past: Harpoon, Genghis Khan 1 & 2, Steel Panthers (from SP1 to most recent versions of SPMBT and SPWW2), Panzer General, Fantasy General, Laser Squad, UFO: Enemy Unknown, X-COM: Terror from the Deep, and many others. Now, there are not many strategy games I play, Dawn of War being almost the only one (besides Defcon, of course).

I also play Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Necromunda and Warmachine if tabletop wargaming counts.

First post, by the way.
Alyssa
level1
level1

Re: Do you play other Military Srategy Games ...

Postby Alyssa » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:51 pm

KuBi4K wrote:Like simulation, wargames (other than Starcraft, counter strike :))

I used to play a lot a game named "SubCommand" and "Dangerous Water" (Subcommand 2)

For those who like/love deep and complex strategic/simulation game, this is for you.

I think I have an equivalent of a Master Degree in Submarine warfare now, after I played these games :D

You have to do everything in this game. Driving the submarine, quietly of course, detect other submarines/boats, enter the parameters to shoot a torpedo/missile, etc

It's not an Arcade Game AT ALL. There is almost no 3D graphic explosion stuff, just a wrew member saying "loud explosion bearing 275"

I love to play thius game, in the dark with a big headphones to track a submarine and manoeuver softly behind it.

Too bad there is not a ability to launch Nukes

I love this game ^^

I play a lot of Virtual Skipper 4, that's sort of like SubCommand except above the water and with less torpedoes.
Alyssa
level1
level1

Postby Alyssa » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:07 pm

Crusader Scott wrote:There are a bunch of other titles I could recommend, but these are the best of the lesser known wargames (well, except for chess) that continue to draw a loyal fanbase.

If you think chess is a great wargame, try Go sometime, especially on a 19x19 board. The nice thing is that most people can give the best Go programs a run for their money, whereas only chess masters can beat good PC chess programs.
Alyssa
level1
level1

Postby Alyssa » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:23 pm

Crusader Scott wrote:
Corbeau wrote:Yes, both on the computer and on good 'ol hexmaps. Though I'm more interested in science-fiction wargaming than anything else (G.E.V. might appeal to this crowd, actually - it's about nuclear tank-based warfare after anti-ICBM weaponry is viable).

Yes! GEV and OGRE---great wargames with tactical nukes! :D When, oh when, will somebody develope a PC version of either game?!? I wish Steve Jackson would sell the rights to some game dev (IV? Hmm....).

They did, way back in 1986!

http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=3526
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:36 pm

I would if I could find some.

I used to play WINSPMBT but it sucks :(
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:57 pm

VANGUARD wrote:I would if I could find some.

I used to play WINSPMBT but it sucks :(

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Game ... ctics.html
http://www.wesnoth.org/
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
Dr. Strangelove
level1
level1

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:08 pm

himm, good strat/tactical sims?

silent hunter 3 is a good one.

and anything in the Total War series, Rome in particular. for a ancient battlefield afficionado its a dream come true. why just last week i was hopelessly outnumbered on the field. my macedonian pesant skirimishers fought bravely, but couldnt hold against repeated barbarian cavalry charges. all 600 men were brutally slaughtered as they fled the screaming horde of heathen barbarians. this was all in my plan to draw the enemies battle line into a cleft in the land which would allow me to charge down the gently sloped land and slam into the german flanks with my cavalry while my archers rain death upon the enemy. this all went quite well actually... i had the far end of the cleft held with a veteran unit of pikemen. seeing no other targets, the germans brought up most of their force and began a ranged harrasment of those pikemen. their disipline and training held them fast during hail after hail of arrows, sling stones, and javelins. their proud tight ranks closing ever tighter as men fell to the rain of missle weaponry. the opposing general had been in such a hurry to chase down my fleeing skrimishers, and then to coordinate an attack on the phalanx that his troops had become fragmented and disorganized. this was just what i was waiting for. i ordered the pikemen at the end of the cleft to begin marching towards the huge enemy force. they were joined by another unit of skirmishers, and a somewhat greener phalanx for additional numbers. at the other end of this soon to be very fucking bloody fold in the earth two units of my elite heavy cavalry marched into view. on either flank, 2 addition units of pikemen, a unit of archers and skirmishers, and one very very green light cav unit.

as the first group began to engage the enemy with their 15 foot sarissas the light cav on the flanks slammed into the enemy. they were slaughtered to a man, the light cav were, but their job was to sow confusion and dismay into the enemy lines, and to tie them up while the slow moving phalanxes could be brought in to anchor the flanks. soon that line of spears, three men deep on the flanks, engaged the enemies already endangered flanks. moments later almost 150 heavy cavalrymen slammed into the unprotected rear of the enemy formation. these men had fought many battles, defeated many opponets. they had earned their price, and my respect in campagins across the grecan peninsula. those men fought at sparta, and at athens. that day they truly accounted for themselves. the germans rear line of fragile troops simply hurled down their weapons and ran. directly into the main german battle line. chaos ensues within their forces as more and more men lose heart with the battle. with a press of spears on each flank, and a veteran cavalary force chewing into his back line my opponent simply attemted to surge forwards with his fragmented and disorganized lines. the green phalanx held against the first assault. but broke, and was cut down, by the screaming german axemen. the second group, the men i had nurtured and cared after for 20 years of harsh military action, held fast against wave after wave of ferocious assault. simply standing in their neat ranks, thrusting their 15 foot spears into the mob of men those scant feet away. the general himself fell in what would be the last press. screaming gutterally as he was speared like a boar by my pikemen. seeing their fearless general fall, the enemy army broke, and attempted to leave the field. this was not to be, as i had them in a valley, with a line of pikemen on either side, at the front, and those heavy cav chopping their way ever deeper into the formation. soon the few germans left were fighting for thier lives in small fragmented, and sometimes running battles with my experianced troops. after a time, the din of battle softened. the harsh clash of weapons being replaced by the sounds of the injured, and the dying. the day was mine. my well trained and motivated macadonian army of 1600 men had defeated a german force almost 3 times the size. this single battle broke the german rebellions back and allowed me the conquest of northern europe.

that summer we took germania for the glory of Alexander!
How I learned to stop worrying and love The Bomb.

tired of your old music? tell me about it! ill find you something new, or my parents didn't name me for a truckers life!

Return to “General”