Do you play other Military Srategy Games ...

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

KuBi4K
level1
level1

Do you play other Military Srategy Games ...

Postby KuBi4K » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:06 pm

Like simulation, wargames (other than Starcraft, counter strike :))

I used to play a lot a game named "SubCommand" and "Dangerous Water" (Subcommand 2)

For those who like/love deep and complex strategic/simulation game, this is for you.

I think I have an equivalent of a Master Degree in Submarine warfare now, after I played these games :D

You have to do everything in this game. Driving the submarine, quietly of course, detect other submarines/boats, enter the parameters to shoot a torpedo/missile, etc

It's not an Arcade Game AT ALL. There is almost no 3D graphic explosion stuff, just a wrew member saying "loud explosion bearing 275"

I love to play thius game, in the dark with a big headphones to track a submarine and manoeuver softly behind it.

Too bad there is not a ability to launch Nukes

I love this game ^^
It would be well for your government to consider that having your ships and ours, your aircraft and ours, in such proximity... is inherently DANGEROUS. Wars have begun that way, Mr. Ambassador....
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:24 pm

I used to play Close Combat, which is sort of a "light" version of a wargame.
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:26 pm

I've been a long-time wargamer and completely agree with your description of Dangerous Waters. It is a great, if very complex, game. Here are some other good titles:

1) Harpoon ANW: Used by the United States Navy (and foreign naval forces), this is probably the most realistic naval fleet-level wargame available.
2) TACOPS: Used as a wargame by the USMC and Canada, this is a great wargame to learn how to conduct tactical operations in a realistic fashion.
3)winSPMBT: Like TACOPS, but with better graphics (but worse multiplayer).
4)Combat Mission (BO, BB, & AK): a trilogy of great & realistic WWII tactical wargames. Great for PBEM play too!
5) Laser Squad Nemesis: an email-based tactical, sci-fi wargame by the creators of X-COM. Always fun!
6) Take Command First and Second Manassas: innovative American Civil War Wargame that places an emphasis on the art of command. Great stuff!
7) Did I mention chess?

There are a bunch of other titles I could recommend, but these are the best of the lesser known wargames (well, except for chess) that continue to draw a loyal fanbase.
Last edited by Crusader Scott on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corbeau
level1
level1

Postby Corbeau » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:50 pm

Yes, both on the computer and on good 'ol hexmaps. Though I'm more interested in science-fiction wargaming than anything else (G.E.V. might appeal to this crowd, actually - it's about nuclear tank-based warfare after anti-ICBM weaponry is viable).
"Rule #13: do onto others." - The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Ares106
level1
level1

Postby Ares106 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:09 pm

Wesnoth - TBS Multiplayer fantasy game, lots of strategy, and it's Free! reminds me of Warlords 3 and Age of wonders
Esurnir
level0

Postby Esurnir » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:16 am

I'm in love with dangerous waters.

And what else I played... well nothing verry serious.
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:48 am

Corbeau wrote:Yes, both on the computer and on good 'ol hexmaps. Though I'm more interested in science-fiction wargaming than anything else (G.E.V. might appeal to this crowd, actually - it's about nuclear tank-based warfare after anti-ICBM weaponry is viable).

Yes! GEV and OGRE---great wargames with tactical nukes! :D When, oh when, will somebody develope a PC version of either game?!? I wish Steve Jackson would sell the rights to some game dev (IV? Hmm....).
the_redstar_swl
level2
level2
Location: Bravo, Five, Delta, Authenticate Launch Codes: Zulu, Oscar, Delta, Nine, Fiver, Three, Gamma...

Postby the_redstar_swl » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:57 am

Crusader Scott wrote:
Corbeau wrote:Yes, both on the computer and on good 'ol hexmaps. Though I'm more interested in science-fiction wargaming than anything else (G.E.V. might appeal to this crowd, actually - it's about nuclear tank-based warfare after anti-ICBM weaponry is viable).

Yes! GEV and OGRE---great wargames with tactical nukes! :D When, oh when, will somebody develope a PC version of either game?!? I wish Steve Jackson would sell the rights to some game dev (IV? Hmm....).

A Bolo could kick a Ogre's ass, One hit from its Hellbore would probably turn the thing into a pool of boiling metal. :wink:

I play Steel Panthers mainly, I've also got a couple of Hex and Counter wargames, I don't play them too often though...
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:07 am

LOL! My Mk V Ogre can beat your Bolo! :)
KuBi4K
level1
level1

Postby KuBi4K » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:39 am

Esurnir wrote:I'm in love with dangerous waters.

And what else I played... well nothing verry serious.

ANd I found a pack of sounds, to have orders in Russian, that gives a sweet and original plus when you're playing russian submarines :D
It would be well for your government to consider that having your ships and ours, your aircraft and ours, in such proximity... is inherently DANGEROUS. Wars have begun that way, Mr. Ambassador....
bogogf
level0

Postby bogogf » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:43 am

What about Operation Flashpoint, it's not purely a strategy title, but strategy is a large portion of the game. The simulation aspects are right up there, tell me about another game where you navigate using the stars, and map with compass ? The vehicle combat could be more sim like, seems to be the only arcadey bit about the game. No tac nukes tho :(
KuBi4K
level1
level1

Postby KuBi4K » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:55 am

One of my favourite game too.

A bullet = death / severe injury almost all the time.

No stupid rush.

Need to synchronize action between teams/squads.

Etc
hellcatv
level2
level2

Postby hellcatv » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:02 am

anyone here play Harpoon II?
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:22 am

hellcatv wrote:anyone here play Harpoon II?

I play Harpoon: ANW!
DingerX
level1
level1

Postby DingerX » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:05 am

With all due respect, there are Tac Nukes in the Operation Flashpoint I play, and they can be delivered via torpedo, cruise missile, or artillery. Of course, it's kinda hard to work up a scenario where you'd employ them strategically (unless you made them part of the tech tree of a CTI mission (aka OFP-RTS) ).

Return to “General”