PCZone review of defcon

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

edd8990
level5
level5

PCZone review of defcon

Postby edd8990 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:14 pm

I just got my copy of PCZone (Takes ages to sort out getting it forwarded to uni :() Anyway, a two page review of defcon, ending with an "Recommended" award, and a score of 85% (The highest score they have gived to an IV game to date)

The plus and minus points listed:

+ve:
1. Gorgeous
2. Simple yet deep
3. Nuclear war is cool again
4. Stop asking questions it's obviously great

-ve
1. Unvaried gameplay

Quotes:

Defcon is a clever blend of inspired simplicity and deceptive profoundity

Defcon has a beautiful, efficient minimalism that hits you on a deeper level; you couldn't have made this game any other way. Defcon looks absolutly right

IV get another mention in this magazine, in the "Top 10 games you've probably never played" number 1 was Uplink. (Beating Psychonauts, Tribes:Vengence, Beyond Good and Evil, Mafia, Trackmania sunrise, Vampire: The masquerade - Bloodlines, NOLF 2, Freedom Fighters and omikron: The nomad soul)
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:40 pm

:shock: Is that the thing which sings queen songs backwards as your av!?

Oh and the review looks good too, by 'unvaried gameplay' did they mean it's only nuclear war or a lack of options?
AlfaFoxtrot
level1
level1

Postby AlfaFoxtrot » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:03 pm

Although there's loads of different ways to strategically play the game fundamentally it's the same thing each time. It's great now but I could see myself losing interest fairly easily - luckily online is turning out to be a blast so I'll carry on for now!
flatrick
level2
level2

Postby flatrick » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:33 pm

AlfaFoxtrot wrote:Although there's loads of different ways to strategically play the game fundamentally it's the same thing each time. It's great now but I could see myself losing interest fairly easily - luckily online is turning out to be a blast so I'll carry on for now!

I agree, although a ranking system would be a total must to really keep the interest in the game.

Return to “General”