CHEAT>>> PLZ PUT STOP TO THIS

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Perseus
level1
level1

CHEAT>>> PLZ PUT STOP TO THIS

Postby Perseus » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:28 pm

I have been playing Defcon for quite some time now and I consider the following to be a cheat, even more so because so many people seem to have discovered it:

Russia and Europe teaming up and concentrating their air defenses in the small European Continent-area. There is NO getting through this fortress. All Russia and Europe-players have to do is team up (which more and more people are doing), ride out the storm, and then when everybody else has expended their arsenals, strike.

Last night I saw a couple of extremes of this. I entered servers where 2 people were already logged on, and they had picked Europe and Russia as territories, and they had already allied. \

Another extreme was a server where people also knew about this 'Fortress'-cheat and so there we all sat, waiting. Even when the end-of-game-timer had started, Russia and Europe did not move; only in the last couple of minutes did ICBMs start flying, but the game ended before air defenses got into action.

I already found it quite ridiculous to see that air defense systems can so easily shoot down ICBM warheads in this game; that, plus the 'Fortress'-cheat, do not make this game a lot of fun to play on.
Yokenzkov
level0

Postby Yokenzkov » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:30 pm

Isn't that a tactic? If they ally, then the others should ally together and try and wait it out..?
Perseus
level1
level1

Postby Perseus » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:36 pm

Yokenzkov wrote:Isn't that a tactic? If they ally, then the others should ally together and try and wait it out..?

That's just the thing. Those playes choosing Russia & Europe and then allying are the ones who wait it out - and I've encountered many who somehow get a laugh out of not caring about not getting any kill-scores. It is really ruining the fun. It is a cheat (although unprogrammed, I suppose) made up of geography and air defense capabilities.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:40 pm

First off, it is not a cheat. Second off, if the USSR and Europe are allied, and they are defending Europe, it is crackable. You need to coordinate with the other players (which means that you have to ally) for the easy win, or do it yourself while ignoring the other players. Hit Siberia hard, and take out whatever silos you can as early as possible. It really isn't that hard. If you can hit simultaneously with bombers and subs, it isn't hard at all.

xander
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:50 pm

That's not a cheat. Try whining about this while playing risk and see how fast every other country takes you out. It is better to have two allied enemies than to appear weak before the entire globe.

Hang your head in shame. :lol:
Perseus
level1
level1

Postby Perseus » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:50 pm

xander wrote:First off, it is not a cheat. Second off, if the USSR and Europe are allied, and they are defending Europe, it is crackable. You need to coordinate with the other players (which means that you have to ally) for the easy win, or do it yourself while ignoring the other players. Hit Siberia hard, and take out whatever silos you can as early as possible. It really isn't that hard. If you can hit simultaneously with bombers and subs, it isn't hard at all.

xander

Vvvvvvrong. I've seen players who don't give a toss about Siberia. What's there anyway - 2, 3 cities? Nope - they concentrate all air defenses and radars in the western part of Russia. Have also seen Europe-players who don't give a toss about the Iberian peninsula and contentrate their air defenses to cover central Europe and northern Italy.

And yes, I've also seen all non-Europe and Russia-players unite to take on Russia and Europe in a coordinated effort.

Which resulted in either:
1) all players expending their arsenals and hitting nothing and/or
2) some players succeeding, but then none of the players having enough nukes to take on each other.

Whichever way you try to turn the round table, it still takes the fun out of the game.

My argument still stands. Players can group it too close together.
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:52 pm

I'd say you are playing with some crappy players - you might be better off with AI. :lol:
Perseus
level1
level1

Postby Perseus » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:52 pm

N0ught wrote:That's not a cheat. Try whining about this while playing risk and see how fast every other country takes you out. It is better to have two allied enemies than to appear weak before the entire globe.

Hang your head in shame. :lol:

Amused to see how you call everything and everyall either a 'complaint' or 'whining', but I'd rather you take it seriously.

No, wait: I'd rather that somebody from Introversion take it seriously.
Perseus
level1
level1

Postby Perseus » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:53 pm

N0ught wrote:I'd say you are playing with some crappy players - you might be better off with AI. :lol:

Could you at least try not to be so condescending on this board?

Thank you.
Suicide_Squad
level1
level1

Postby Suicide_Squad » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:55 pm

If Russia and Europe concentrate air defences at their shared border try to concentrate on London and the more eastern russian cities. Try knocking out their radar first so they won't see your nukes to early. Try to coordinate and concentrate your attacks on a single target until it is hit often enough. Use your subs for you can reach almost every place in Europe and western Russia from the sea! Try keeping your nuke ways as short as possible.
If Europe and Russia ally for their defences YOU have to ally for your attacks.
And I agree: It's a tactic, not a cheat.
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:00 pm

Could you at least try not to be so condescending on this board?

No, I cannot. :lol:
Suicide_Squad
level1
level1

Postby Suicide_Squad » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:07 pm

By the way, I played many games against Europe 1 vs 1 and was able to take out almost every silo just with my subs and bombers. After that I had an easy job nuking his cities with my silos.
So why shouldn't that be possible for more than one player with Europe and Russia?
Perseus
level1
level1

Postby Perseus » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Suicide_Squad wrote:If Russia and Europe concentrate air defences at their shared border try to concentrate on London and the more eastern russian cities. Try knocking out their radar first so they won't see your nukes to early. Try to coordinate and concentrate your attacks on a single target until it is hit often enough. Use your subs for you can reach almost every place in Europe and western Russia from the sea! Try keeping your nuke ways as short as possible.
If Europe and Russia ally for their defences YOU have to ally for your attacks.
And I agree: It's a tactic, not a cheat.

Sorry. Reiteration of what has been said before. Again, has been tried. Players are learning not to give a rat's ass about eastern cities - some are even going so far as to sacrifice London for some, errr, 'fun' :o

Don't say I didn't tell y'all
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:09 pm

Perseus: May I suggest that you listen to what people are saying, and stop complaining? There are many, many people who are perfectly capable of taking out Europe and Russia. While your initial post was somewhat valid (if you had said "How do I deal with this tactic?" rather than "OMG! Ch34tz0rs!", you might have more credibility, but the point is still valid), you are very quickly moving from newb to n00b.

xander
Disro
level1
level1

Postby Disro » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:10 pm

1 a : to practice fraud or trickery b : to violate rules dishonestly <cheat at cards> <cheating on a test>
(from Merriam-Webster online)

Neither of those apply. They are not violating rules, or practicing fraud. Therefore, it is a strategy.

Return to “General”