Diplomacy - friendly, slowish paced games

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Siberian Hamster
level1
level1

Diplomacy - friendly, slowish paced games

Postby Siberian Hamster » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:10 am

Hi folks. I wanted to post this thread as I’ve had some excellent and very enjoyable games of Diplomacy based Defcon with some excellent people who’ve stuck it out right to the end even if they were losing hopelessly and who’ve enjoyed a good bit of banter throughout the game.

What I’ve found frustrating is not being able to find any of these excellent people subsequently, so that each time you go into a game you’re left not knowing whether or not half the players will up and leave the instant they lose their first battleship.

This thread is about finding like-minded players to try and ensure maximum fun and minimum frustration in the future.

I’m looking to hear from you if you’re into 6 way diplomacy, play to win, but don’t mind if you lose, are willing to stick it out to the bitter end and have a sense of humour about the whole thing. I play online under the same name (Siberian Hamster) and I’m generally online and looking for a game from about 7 – 10 pm UK time, so it would probably help if you’re around then too. So, if you fit the profile, please post your details here.

If you play purely to win or take the whole thing more seriously then good luck to you, and I’d be grateful if you steered clear of this thread.

Thanks

:D
Oppenheimer
level1
level1

Postby Oppenheimer » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:31 am

I don't always play an awful lot, but I'm generally around somewhere - I'll happily play just to play, at pretty much any speed. Game name Oppenheimer, msn is -

big_mac_fries_to_go@hotmail.co.uk

Just so you know, a couple of times I have lost connection mid game. I'm not the greatest player either (I got kicked from a 1v1 server last night for not beating my opponent by a big enough margin, which was nice).
Slinken
level2
level2

Postby Slinken » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:37 am

I just love 6-way diplomacy and I never drop to the end even if I'm losing big time once I just hade three radars and 1,3 million people (started with 200) left.
Nuke Me Slowly
level1
level1

Postby Nuke Me Slowly » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:41 am

What timezone are you in?
Siberian Hamster
level1
level1

Postby Siberian Hamster » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:46 am

I'm in the UK and generally play online from about 7 to 10pm UK time.
Mr. Morden
level1
level1

Postby Mr. Morden » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:52 am

That was a fun game last night, Mr. Hamster. Sorry if I was quiet at the end but the Mrs. called me away right as the victory timer was finishing up. Lucky for me that I'd already emptied my nuclear stockpiles.

I'll keep my eye open for you guys. I'm in Denmark, which puts me at GMT +1... I think. I recently moved here from Canada so I'm still a little turned around. :)
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:08 am

I'm always up for a game of Diplomacy.
johnnyblossom
level0

Love to play

Postby johnnyblossom » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:14 am

Sounds good; could you kindly count me in? MSN whojamawatchit's in my profile.

Thank you,

Amy
Siberian Hamster
level1
level1

Postby Siberian Hamster » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:15 am

Mr. Morden wrote:That was a fun game last night, Mr. Hamster. Sorry if I was quiet at the end but the Mrs. called me away right as the victory timer was finishing up. Lucky for me that I'd already emptied my nuclear stockpiles.

I'll keep my eye open for you guys. I'm in Denmark, which puts me at GMT +1... I think. I recently moved here from Canada so I'm still a little turned around. :)

Yeah, I enjoyed it too despite getting utterly trounced.

Other halves have a habit of calling you away at crucial times to do 'something important'. They just don't seem to understand that all out nuclear armageddon is quite important in itself!
Luk0r
level1
level1

Postby Luk0r » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:30 am

I believe Diplomacy is the best gamemode, and play it quite a bit with friends from forums, etc. If you want a game, add me to MSN or Xfire, info is below:

MSN: luk0r@luk0r.net
Xfire: lukep
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 am

I always have so much fun playing Diplomacy, everyone really gets into it.
Blob X
level0

Postby Blob X » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:06 pm

Hey I remember you! I played a few games with you before, I seem to recall. Good games they were, like you I dislike players who just quit when they begin to lose - much better to stick it out! I play Defcon under the username 'Blob' by the way... :)
Siberian Hamster
level1
level1

Postby Siberian Hamster » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:41 pm

Good to see there are plenty (well at least more than half a dozen!) like-minded players out there.

Can I suggest that anyone who sets up a server and who wants this sort of a game gives it a name like 'Diplomacy - friendly players' or 'Diplomacy - care bear romp in the park' or something similar to make it obvious?

Ta

:)
KudrigY
level2
level2

Postby KudrigY » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:59 pm

I also prefer Diplomacy mode... I play from 8PM GMT for 2, 3 hours a day (and whole weekends...). And I have already played with some of people interested in this topic...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:13 pm

KudrigY wrote:I also prefer Diplomacy mode... I play from 8PM GMT for 2, 3 hours a day (and whole weekends...). And I have already played with some of people interested in this topic...

Let's see... 8 PM GMT is about 1 PM here... I will see if I can make it. What do you call your server and what is your handle?

xander

Return to “General”