Giving up on Cairo...

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Nuke Me Slowly
level1
level1

Giving up on Cairo...

Postby Nuke Me Slowly » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:02 pm

Does anyone else feel that the placing of Cairo leaves Africa with a huge disadvantage?

● It contains roughly 30% of Africa's entire poulation.

● It is within bomber range of three other territories (Europe, Russia, Asia).

● It sits on the most northern part of Africa, far away from the majority of Africa's other cities.

Am I alone in thinking this?
Chrono_Tata
level1
level1

Postby Chrono_Tata » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:07 pm

I normally place two silos near Cairo. It's good for defending against incoming missiles from Russia.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:12 pm

I have to say, it is unfortunate placement for a city, but that's life :P
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Michaeru
level1
level1

Re: Giving up on Cairo...

Postby Michaeru » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:55 pm

Does anyone else feel that the placing of Moscow leaves Russia with a huge disadvantage?

● It contains roughly 30% of Russia's entire poulation.

● It is within bomber range of three other territories (Africa, Europe, Asia).

● It sits on the most eastern part of Russia, close to the majority of Russia's other cities.

Am I alone in thinking this?

And am I doing it right? And what about New York? It's right by the sea, you could strike it from the Portugese coast with Subs without them being damaged.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:04 pm

Cairo has a worse disadvantage
  • The other 70% is nowhere near it.

Can't say that for Moscow or Leningrad, they're practically next to each other!
Zarkow
level4
level4

Postby Zarkow » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:18 pm

Cairo has an advantage: ICBMs usually take a clear norther arc and as such nukes from NA, Russia and Europe, and to some extent SA (especially any silos placed in latin america) will pass over the most norther part of africa and straight into any AAs ypu put up here. Therefor, if you are willing to work some with your airplanes and fleet (keep subs from the coast) you casn then protect the southern cities too and manage to keep a fairly big deal of your population alive. All depending on the people you meet that is.

Any tactics always depends on game-mode too, if striking others cities (for points) or keeping your own alive is the most important thing...
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:29 pm

Nukes launched at Cairo from South Africa, South Asia or North America often have to pass through someone else's air defenses.
Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:30 pm

Whereas Europe has it, no matter what.
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:31 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:Whereas Europe has it, no matter what.

Unless, shock horror, you defend it - or even take out Europe's silos first... :roll:
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:37 pm

True, but that's a given with any city.

However, here is the question: How do you defend Cairo, bearing in mind that whatever you use to defend it will be unable to defend anything else?
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:42 pm

Personally, I defend it with two silos. They're not "unable to do anything else" by any stretch - in fact, they're great for shooting down missiles coming from the north (and as Africa, most nukes targeted on you will be coming from that direction).

One thing that you have to bear in mind - the difficulty in defending Cairo is not because it's isolated, it's because it's a juicy target. You're going to have a lot more nukes aimed at it than any other city, that much should be clear from the outset; but because it contains a significant amount of your population it's worth defending. It is possible to defend, but that's the choice you make.

Ultimately I believe that choice depends on the scoring mode.
KudrigY
level2
level2

Postby KudrigY » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:02 pm

Ever thought of leaving Cairo undefended??

Rest will gain better coverage, and seriously - Cairo is a gonner anyways...

I leave it helpless, and i still win as Africa (go to thread of victory shots - got some of mine there...)
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:09 pm

KudrigY wrote:Ever thought of leaving Cairo undefended??
It's my M.O.
DingerX
level1
level1

Postby DingerX » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:20 pm

There seems to be a general misconception that silos in AD mode are only good for defending the stuff around it. Hogwash. In fact, silos aren't terribly good at that. Go ahead, shoot a flurry of nukes at the city next to a silo, and see how many hit. Now aim for the silo.
AD silos are really good at defending themselves, and moderately good at area defense. That's because the silos don't pull lead very well, and the missiles are arcing in their paths. So high-deflection shots, like the ones coming in point blank at the city next to the silo miss, and you can figure in an increasingly higher miss rate the greater the angle between the target and the silo and the nuke-target.
Nukes flying completely overhead get double coverage from a silo. So Cairo isn't that bad at all -- you may lose the city, but those silos are "in play" for most attacks in the game.
Nuke Me Slowly
level1
level1

Postby Nuke Me Slowly » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:38 pm

Daxx wrote:Personally, I defend it with two silos. They're not "unable to do anything else" by any stretch - in fact, they're great for shooting down missiles coming from the north (and as Africa, most nukes targeted on you will be coming from that direction).

Two silos really isn't sufficient to defend anything. The "critcal mass" of nukes needed to penetrate is so low that players won't hesitate to attack, meanwhile you have two less silos two defend the restoring cities. The amount of nukes needed to penetrate the defenses of these cities is now 33% lower!

KudrigY wrote:Ever thought of leaving Cairo undefended??

Rest will gain better coverage, and seriously - Cairo is a gonner anyways...

I leave it helpless, and i still win as Africa (go to thread of victory shots - got some of mine there...)

Yeah that's what I've decided to do, hence the title of the thread. ; ]

Return to “General”