Giving away PC license key?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Foxis
level0

Giving away PC license key?

Postby Foxis » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:22 am

Short and sweet:
I'm a mac user. If I buy Defcon now and run it under Bootcamp (or that wineish thingy), will I be able to give that license as a gift to a friend when I buy the Mac version later on? Or is the license key locked to my computer in some way?

Please note, we're not talking piracy. I simply want one of my PC friends to have it so tha... a) won't die unused b) I get one more friend to play with.

So, can I? ;) :)
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:40 am

Like any licence, you can pass on ALL the copyright material to your friend, so long as you do not keep any instance of it on the previous computer.

The serial will only work online under the same ISP, otherwize IV might detect fishy key exchange, and u will be kicked.

To avoid all that me and my friend bought em seperatly.

To answer the question, at the time u should drop IV a line just incase, then give him the key and never use it urself again. :)

Theres no specific locks.
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:45 am

LordSturm wrote:The serial will only work online under the same ISP, otherwize IV might detect fishy key exchange, and u will be kicked.
Don't know where you got that idea from... people are successfully running the same key form home and work.
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:10 pm

Um, here...

http://www.everybody-dies.com/support/authkeyproblems.html

Code: Select all

My key has been Banned
If you find your key has been banned it means our system has detected multiple uses of your Key from many different IPs, suggesting your key is being used by many people. In order to fix this problem we must issue you a new key. Visit metaserver.introversion.co.uk and click on "Somone stole my key".

I think i meant, excessive ISP change. :P
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"

"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."

"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."

"Sure you will."

"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:25 pm

ISP = Internet Service Provider

IP address = Internet Protocal Address

Be careful there. And that FAQ only refers to many different IPs using the same key simulatinously.
Foxis
level0

Postby Foxis » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:44 pm

Well then, sounds OK.
It means that I can enjoy Defcon right away, and help Introversion by giving my PC version to my friend later on. That way the word will spread and one more indie title will reach greater success! Go indies! :)
dawa
level1
level1

Postby dawa » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:39 pm

If you're using it in two seperate locations, they wont mind. What they will notice is if your managing to playing in Australia at 11pm then New York at 11.05pm whilst trying to log in from London at the same time :p (all times GMT :p )
skilletaudio
level1
level1

Postby skilletaudio » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:01 pm

Just a quick bit of nitpickery: not all licenses are transferrable. Example: instrument and sample libraries often come with non-transferable licenses to keep a secondhand market at bay. Buyer is the only legal licensee in that case.

Return to “General”