General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:08 am

nameformyskreen wrote:nah, inability to care cuz its the internet is 1337

I rest my case
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
nameformyskreen
level0

Postby nameformyskreen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:10 am

that..................you are noob and need to slow things down to micro?
kbob
level0

Postby kbob » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:12 am

Geez, tonight I started a 6-player 'Patient Players' game. I wish I could have saved the chat log; it was several pages and would have been a pain to screenshot. I made a point to tell each player that it was going to be a slow-paced game. The last two came in at the last minute and I gave them the short version. After five minutes of realtime Defcon 3, three of them had quit, and the other was complaining that he had a midterm to study for.

One of the guys said, 'Who looks at the game name? It was the only 6-player on the list'!

To his credit, there was a guy with an Arabic-looking name that said he'd be down for four hours if that was how it went down. And the other seemed amicable. But does that mean that 50% of Defcon players play this way?

So, I think I'm starting a club for patient DefCon players. We'll call it Slow Ass Defcon or [SAD]. Then we can look for each other in games and refer people to our manefesto before they play with us.

Anyone into it? If so, I can whip up a site for us with a player registry no problem...
nameformyskreen
level0

Postby nameformyskreen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:20 am

actually im thinking of makign a league

20x speed only gg scrubs
cleverivan
level1
level1

Postby cleverivan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:22 am

kbob wrote:So, I think I'm starting a club for patient DefCon players. We'll call it Slow Ass Defcon or [SAD]. Then we can look for each other in games and refer people to our manefesto before they play with us.

Anyone into it? If so, I can whip up a site for us with a player registry no problem...

All for it kbob. My timezone is GMT+9.5 or if u r on DLS time then +8.5
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:00 am

nameformyskreen wrote:actually im thinking of makign a league

20x speed only gg scrubs

Dude theres a mode for that its called Speed Defcon. And do we complain that its too fast when you set a Speed Defcon game? So go set up a Speed Defcon and stop trolling. Oh wait you have to have full version for Speed Defcon... Guess that's your problem.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
Cooper
level1
level1

Postby Cooper » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:36 am

I'm happy for people to micromanage at 1x speed, I do it myself. But I've also been in plenty of games where there is no good reason for anybody to be running at 1x. Usually it's because someone has switched to 1x and then forgot, so everybody else is stuck there at DEFCON 4 on a diplomacy game waiting 10min for something to happen.

There's nothing wrong with requesting a speed up, so long as you do it politely. If the person is busy micromanaging, he'll decline. If he just forgot then he'll speed things up. If he's a douche who's just slowing things down to annoy everybody, it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly.
KudrigY
level2
level2

Postby KudrigY » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:13 pm

It is OK to slow to X1 when needed, for micromanagement, but please admit that it is not all necessary, especially at the beginning, when ppl already placed all units and wait like 15 minutes to Def3 for some action.

In such situations i ask "please speed up a bit" and it usually works. If not, I dont play that game, esp. when someone writes something like "i like X1 and I dont care U want it faster... I have all night to play this". SHIT, make office defcon then, not norm (or diplo) game.

And i really hate when I level like 90% of assets of some noobie player and he still goes on X1... Having pretty NOTHING to micromanage... That is just waste of my time...

About my playing speeds:
X1 - when placing units, when micromanaging any attacks, etc., sometimes just after def3 was announced.
X5 - my basic game speed
X10 - when I have everything used up/ destroyed, but some orders should be made, but not of big importance.
X20 - when everything is done, and all I can do is watch my nukes hit my enemies (but when being nuked, i switch to X5, or X1 even, to micromanage a bit...)

I find those above pretty OK to play with, most of my enemies play same way. And how do you play?
Zarkow
level4
level4

Postby Zarkow » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:41 pm

In a diplogame (or normal game), placing your units last isn't a bad idea, hence one might micro very close to defcon3.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:53 pm

Also, in a diplo game, 1x gives you plenty of time to plot with your secret allies. Montyphy and I had a game the other day where we agreed to take out everyone else before going after eachother. We spent most of Defcon 5-3 plotting our attack, in realtime. The game went really well, though Europe won (we were NA and SA, by the luck of the draw) -- Montyphy tried to backstab me just a bit to early, before I had a chance to hit Europe. It was a great game.

xander
furtim
level2
level2

Postby furtim » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:03 pm

nameformyskreen wrote:that..................you are noob and need to slow things down to micro?

Ares106
level1
level1

Postby Ares106 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:06 pm

nameformyskreen wrote:um.........lowering the speed so you can have plenty of time to micro is what we call noob.

in sc, players cna micro at insane speeds.......just because in defcon we have a slow function doesnt mean we have to use it

what makes defcon so unique and good is that its not resource based nad you have a very limited amount of supplies, not its slow play speed......

Hah... was wondering when the "l33t" kid was going to finaly make his appearance
(reminds me of http://www.fat-pie.com/jerryjackson.htm)
nameformyskreen
level0

Postby nameformyskreen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:11 pm

omg differences aside that sight is amazing
Amerigo Vespucci
level1
level1

Postby Amerigo Vespucci » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:55 pm

xander wrote:Also, in a diplo game, 1x gives you plenty of time to plot with your secret allies. Montyphy and I had a game the other day where we agreed to take out everyone else before going after eachother. We spent most of Defcon 5-3 plotting our attack, in realtime. The game went really well, though Europe won (we were NA and SA, by the luck of the draw) -- Montyphy tried to backstab me just a bit to early, before I had a chance to hit Europe. It was a great game.

xander

Hmm... was Europe me, by any chance? Sounds exactly like a Diplo game I had the other night.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:59 pm

Amerigo Vespucci wrote:Hmm... was Europe me, by any chance? Sounds exactly like a Diplo game I had the other night.

I don't remember. Were you playing against Montyphy and xander?

xander

Return to “General”