By Dawn's Early Light...

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

djdemo
level1
level1

By Dawn's Early Light...

Postby djdemo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:28 pm

The film 'By Dawn's Early Light' sparked my interest in nuclear strategy, and the film features a DEFCON theme. This is closer to the type of 'simulation' scenerios I'd like to test on students using this programme as a base. However, I do enjoy the game.

I wonder, beyond those with no academic interest in nuclear strategy and enjoy the game as-is, if there are any lurkers out there who would like to see this modded to 'simulate' certain aspects and dynamics of historical nuclear strategy?

Other films with a similar theme, beyond the obvious Dr Strangelove are;

The Day After Tomorrow and Threads (very scary) - although these deal mainly with what happens after the victory timer pops up.

(This post edited as some felt it was too devoid of words)
Last edited by djdemo on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freyar
level2
level2

Postby Freyar » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:14 pm

What content is in this thread? I just say "Dawns Early Light" something about a school, but nothing visual.
strontium
level0

Postby strontium » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:16 pm

Freyar wrote:What content is in this thread? I just say "Dawns Early Light" something about a school, but nothing visual.

This film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099197/

Strontium
General Bellinger
level1
level1

Postby General Bellinger » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:19 pm

" When the wind blows" is another slit your wists kinda of film, maybe a cartoon but really illustrates how hopless the survival of an exchange would be.
djdemo
level1
level1

Postby djdemo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:37 pm

Freyar wrote:What content is in this thread? I just say "Dawns Early Light" something about a school, but nothing visual.

The content is;

A film title that features DEFCON style maps with missile tracks on them.

The film suggests the type of scenerios that this game could be adapted too as a learning tool.

What were you expecting the content to be? Watch the film - I think you will enjoy it having played this game.
Beafman
level1
level1

Postby Beafman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:44 pm

General Bellinger wrote:" When the wind blows" is another slit your wists kinda of film, maybe a cartoon but really illustrates how hopless the survival of an exchange would be.

I read the cartoon. really scary. But seriously thinking that The Bomb would be like in WW2 is stupid... bad enough you don't see the Nuke explode when it does.
Red Dawn
level1
level1

Postby Red Dawn » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:04 pm

Countdown to Looking Glass is very good as well, shot mostly as if you are watching a newscast. The plot is a Mideast showdown between the USA and USSR that eventually goes nuclear.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087090/
djdemo
level1
level1

Postby djdemo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:54 pm

Is Countdown to Looking Glass for sale anywhere? I couldn't find it on Amazon... sounds very interesting.
Red Dawn
level1
level1

Postby Red Dawn » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:03 am

Sadly no, it's extremely hard to find. Let me know if you find one lol.

It's disturbing to say the least.
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:51 am

I have By Dawns Early Light on tape--it is a good film. The only thing I don't like about it is how much of a defeatist Rebecca DeMornay's character is. It makes me laugh how, as soon as she is required to do her job, she has second thoughts and starts advocating that they take their B-52 the other way. Now, as a viewer, we know that the acting president is choosing the wrong war plan, but as a B-52 co-pilot, we would have no such knowledge of the global situation. The idea that a highly-trained B-52 co-pilot would second guess the entire command structure is simply silly at best.

Who here has seen FAIL-SAFE? This is the "thinking man's" version of Dr. Strangelove. The movie is a tense thriller about a rogue nuclear bomber that needs to be stopped before it starts WWIII (a computer glitch sends it on an attack run into the USSR). But what makes the movie so interesting is Walter Matthau who plays the part of a political scientiet who, through out the film, explains the rationale behind many nuclear war concepts (his character is based upon the real-world nuclear war strategist Herman Kahn). This is a classic film that entertains as well as informs.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058083/

Speaking of Herman Kahn, you can read the ideas of this "wizard of armagedon" in his book, THINKING ABOUT THE UNTHINKABLE.

http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-about-Unthinkable-Herman-Kahn/dp/067160449X/sr=8-1/qid=1160109992/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4758349-7922551?ie=UTF8&s=books

I think I might have Countdown to Looking Glass on tape somewhere too. That is a good story if, for no other reason, that many actual politicians play themselves in the movie (keep an eye out for a young Newt Gingrich).
djdemo
level1
level1

Postby djdemo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:24 pm

I have both version of Fail Safe, although the modern Clooney one is more like a live-play than a film.

Fail-Safe is kind of like DEFCON...

Did anyone see the BBC series using Rome Total War where contestants had to fight battles, and gave commands to guys at consols... would be nice to have a Navy player, an Air-force player and a missile player - and you sit lookign a the 'big-board' and give commands to them.

Never gonna happen... but I want to turn my front-room into a temproary NORAD!
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:55 pm

Speaking of of the original Fail-Safe (great file BTW), they did a remake, shot live on CBS. I've just ordered it for my doom and gloom film section 8)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235376/
Garpu
level1
level1

Postby Garpu » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:47 pm

"Threads" is an oldie, and some of it is kind of dated, but it's still chilling.
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:49 pm

Offtopic, but can you please break up, alt text, tinyurl or otherwise shrink long links? Some people only have small monitors and scrolling sideways to read every line is a pain.
Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
djdemo
level1
level1

Postby djdemo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:20 pm

I've got Kaplan's book - was on the core reading list, along with 'Evolution of Nuclear Strategy' by Freedman, who also taught the class... I love how professors always boost their own book sales that way!

Britian, France and the FRG, nuclear strategy on the list as well. Showed how the Europeans were worried that the US would not intervene with nukes during a Soviet invasion to save their own cities, so British and French nuclear strategy was aimed at initial launches at the Soviets to force the Americans to commit to any nuclear war in Europe.

Scary stuff... as the game shows, the death count is high - even in a modest exchange.

Return to “General”