I guess I was killed!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Crusader Scott
level2
level2

I guess I was killed!

Postby Crusader Scott » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:38 am

So there I was, two hours into a Big World, solo vs three CPU match when I am notified that a spectator is trying to connect to the game. I didn't think anything of it---if somebody wants to watch me take on the CPU its okay with me---but I notice that this spectator never actually connects to my game. I feared a glitch of some sort was taking place...and I was right. After about ten minutes, my game screen blacks out with a message being displayed that the game is trying to reconnect...without success, of course. Not being able to do anything else, I hit abort and the game exists to the main menu!!!

MY GAME!!! :x Two hours wasted!!! And just when my missiles were approaching their targets!!!

Why did I lose my game? It wasn't a multiplayer game, after all. And, even if it was, I was the host! I guess "abort" doesn't just abort the attempt to reconnect, but the whole game. :cry: Next time I must remember to turn off my cable modem before playing a solo game....

DEFCON really needs a auto-save feature to prevent things like this happening. At least I would have been able to restore the game.

Oh well, I guess a missile hit my bunker. :?

I must say that I enjoyed the Big World map. It gives you a heck of a lot of units to play with and the range on fighters is much more realistic---they actually are useful with that size map. In that game I also was experimenting with making one of the CPUs my ally---it seemed to be working nicely. I was hoping to experiment with a backstab, but alas, the world suddenly ended.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:58 am

Your CPU usage most likely shot through the roof trying to send all the data to the spectator, and thus, brought your computer to its knees.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:16 am

Hmm...interesting. Makes sense since I notice that my computer stutters a little when playing on the Big World map. All those units to track simultaneously must gobble up loads of horsepower as it is. :shock:
Ishkabo
level1
level1

Postby Ishkabo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:55 am

You should probably turn off the "advertise with internet" option if you don't want people joining. Or just set spectators to zero.
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:19 am

Advertise on internet doesn't make a difference to me. What I do when everyone is readied is password the game, effectively locking it so that doesn't happen.
Lionel Mandrake
level2
level2

Postby Lionel Mandrake » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:27 am

Sounds like just plain bad luck to me, really. A bit of a silly design choice, in a way... but also an understandable one. BigWorld is CPU-hogging enough as it is, after all.
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:16 am

Lionel Mandrake wrote:Sounds like just plain bad luck to me, really. A bit of a silly design choice, in a way... but also an understandable one. BigWorld is CPU-hogging enough as it is, after all.

Silly how? :?:

Return to “General”