Bigworld airship range bug

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Hamerp
level0

Bigworld airship range bug

Postby Hamerp » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:57 am

Ok, I'm not sure if this is already reported, or if it is actually a bug, but is seems like one.

I was playing a bigworld cpu game (which tuned out to be very enjoyable) when I noticed something strange about the fighters and bombers I lauched from my carriers. Take a look:

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6633/ss1qe6.jpg
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2794/ss2yd9.jpg

The first screenshot shows my fighter's halved bigworld range, when I lauch it from the carrier.
At the second screenshot, i have selected the fighter just after it took off, and i can actually move it within its normal range, just as in a default game. :shock:

Same thing happens with airbases or bombers as well.

Is this normal? Maybe airplanes aren't supposed to have halved ranges because of game blance issues, but then the carrier/airbase ranges must be fixed instead.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:20 am

when does the airplane run out of gas? but that is strange.
Hamerp
level0

Postby Hamerp » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:42 am

when does the airplane run out of gas? but that is strange.

The airplane has the normal, default game range, not the halved bigworld one... It crashes at greece. Strange indeed...
Al3xand3r
level1
level1

Postby Al3xand3r » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:28 pm

Oh no, it fell on my house :cry:
Mod HQ - http://www.mod-hq.com/
All you need for HL2 & Steam news
davejk
level1
level1

Postby davejk » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:49 pm

The first circle you see is the range up to the point of no return. If you send the fighter further than that it would run out of fuel and crash without being able to return to the carrier, so I guess that's why that is where the launch range is capped to.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:13 pm

what he's asaying is that in big world mode, it's susposed to be cut in half (ranges & such). For aircraft it's not, so fighters run 2x as far as they should.
Hamerp
level0

Postby Hamerp » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:15 pm

what he's asaying is that in big world mode, it's susposed to be cut in half (ranges & such). For aircraft it's not, so fighters run 2x as far as they should.

Exactly. Plus, there's no such thing as "point of no return range" in the default mode. Try it yourself.
Wow i found a bug, i found a bug, im really excited! 8)
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:07 pm

actuatly, there is. If you send a fighter ~1/2 the distance from the point of origin (carrier/airbase) they won't have enough fuel to return (carriers they can if the carrier moves towards them). So, there IS a point of no return, it's when the fuel limit won't let you land back home. But youcan land on other bases/carriers so you can also extend fighters pretty far. :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:46 pm

TheHappyFriar wrote:actuatly, there is. If you send a fighter ~1/2 the distance from the point of origin (carrier/airbase) they won't have enough fuel to return (carriers they can if the carrier moves towards them). So, there IS a point of no return, it's when the fuel limit won't let you land back home. But youcan land on other bases/carriers so you can also extend fighters pretty far. :)

I think that he was saying that there is no maked point of no return range. When you select a fighter or bomber, it does not label the point of no return.

xander
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:05 am

i know, i'm just trying to drive it home for people who haven't noticed yet that the max range is the MAX range. Then there's no gas. 1/2 that is how to get home.
calacorm
level1
level1

Postby calacorm » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:29 am

Looks like a bug to me. It says in the advanced options when you scale the world that the mode is experimental. Maybe it is not fully tested.
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:03 pm

Noticed this yesterday. I didn't think much of it, but it's a little annoying if you want to send the fighters scouting beyond that initial range because you have to manage them after they launch, rather than being "fire and forget".
Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Return to “General”