DEFCON FanArt Section

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Mon May 15, 2006 11:45 am

When did I show prejudice ? I didn't do it against muslims, nor against you, which are the only two groups I've mentioned recently. Well, agreed, the original question wasn't exactly the best best way to express myself I suppose - problem is, it's hard to actually make it clear that you don't have any malicious intent with what you ask such questions. I hoped that "I'm curious" would make that clear, but apparently that wasn't enough, and now I see it could easily be interpretted maliciously. Though, note the first parenthesis on my previous post here, which I hope at least shows that there was no malicious intent with my question. That said I'm sorry if you felt I was implying something, and I hope I've at least (and at last) made it clear that that wasn't my intention.

Now, the reason I asked is that I saw a slight parallel to what you said about communism. On that note, I didn't even notice you replying to it just before Xander o.O. Had I seen that, I'd had replied with something similar to the first statement in this paragraph, though perhaps explaining what parallel I saw in details. Anyway, it's a dead issue now, so no reason to go into details now.

I'm not asking you to reply to this, but at least I wanted to have a chance to defend myself.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 15, 2006 2:38 pm

Dirty Harry Potter wrote:...terrorists in the 9/11 sense...

What does this mean? How were the World Trade Centers different from the IRA's campaign? Or the Basque terrorists? Or the sarin attacks in Tokyo? As far as I can tell, it is simply a matter of scale...

xander
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Mon May 15, 2006 3:03 pm

well, "terrorists in the sense" meaning that I was thinking about that particular group of terrorists.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon May 15, 2006 3:15 pm

xander wrote:
Dirty Harry Potter wrote:...terrorists in the 9/11 sense...

What does this mean? How were the World Trade Centers different from the IRA's campaign? Or the Basque terrorists? Or the sarin attacks in Tokyo? As far as I can tell, it is simply a matter of scale...

xander

One mans terrorists are another mans freedom fighter though xander. Not that I condone what the IRA, Basque, or whomever the hell attacked the WTC, but remember the IRA was formed as freedom fighters originally, then they just became complete idiots.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 15, 2006 4:23 pm

Rkiver wrote:One mans terrorists are another mans freedom fighter though xander. Not that I condone what the IRA, Basque, or whomever the hell attacked the WTC, but remember the IRA was formed as freedom fighters originally, then they just became complete idiots.

Actually, that was kind of the point that I was trying to make by calling the American revolutionaries terrorists. Ultimately, it is really a matter of who wins, and who writes the history books. That being said, I think that terrorism, as a tactic, can be distinguished by two major traits: 1) it is done not to gain territory, or force back enemy lines, but to instill fear and uncertainty in the terrorised population and 2) terrorism tends to be directed toward civilians and other non-combatants (though there are exceptions).

xander
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Mon May 15, 2006 5:21 pm

Well the majority of the time the IRA phoned in warnings when their bombs were placed in civilian areas, well I say majority, they did phone in warnings anyway. In Ireland itself most targets were the army patrols instead of just going for innocent people.

The bombs they did place in civilian areas with no warning were usually small and pretty much useless, a few nailbombs here and there. The IRA were just better at terrorism, more like a nagging skin disease that keeps reoccuring rather than gangrene that can be cured by amputating a leg.

N.B. I believe the definition of terrorism implies you have a political message. You can go around bombing buildings and people because you are angry but it wouldn't be terrorism, just idiocy and murder.

On another note, going back to Stalin. Did you know that his only real job was as an apprentice at an observatory? Also he shot his brother-in-law for buying slippers. His logic being that he needed slippers so he could sneak around......He was a very paranoid man...
Oro?
level1
level1

Postby Oro? » Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 pm

What ever happened to an art thread? I mean honestly. I like communism as an idea but it simply doesn't work out in the long run. Its mechanics aren't able to be used in a large-scale population without massive deaths and dictatorship. It's really better than capitalism and i'm glad you all have open minds, but this is an art thread people.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 15, 2006 7:29 pm

Oro? wrote:What ever happened to an art thread? I mean honestly. I like communism as an idea but it simply doesn't work out in the long run. Its mechanics aren't able to be used in a large-scale population without massive deaths and dictatorship. It's really better than capitalism and i'm glad you all have open minds, but this is an art thread people.

You must be new here. While I agree that the thread has gone off of its original topic, the point of having a forum like this is to discuss ideas. If the discussion leads in a different direction, there are few people here that will object. If someone were to bring this topic back to its original intention by, say, posting some more art, I doubt that anyone would mind that, either. The nature of discussion is organic -- one thing leads to another. Read through the archives -- how many topics that are this long have not rambled? Relax, and enjoy the ride.

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon May 15, 2006 7:58 pm

Most forums are much more strict than this one - I've been on boards where Mod Nazis will throw the ban hammer around and/or lock threads the second someone even thinks about posting off-topic, the second any debate gets one degree warmer than room temperature, or even if the mods had a bad day and just plain don't like the font colour you used.

Most of the regulars on these boards stay here because this is not one of those boards. If you're an ass, we'll call you on it (though for some reason I seldom get called on it :Þ ), but other than that, it's pretty much anything goes. :D
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 15, 2006 8:17 pm

trickfred: You are an ass. :P

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon May 15, 2006 8:21 pm

Zounds! :Þ
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 15, 2006 9:03 pm

trickfred wrote:Zounds! :Þ

That is one of my favorite curses! You know where it comes from, da? It is a contraction of "God's Wounds!" 400 years ago, it was about as offensive as "Crap!" or "Shit!", but became so overused that it lost that vulgar effect, and is now relegated to compartive disuse.

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon May 15, 2006 9:07 pm

xander wrote:
trickfred wrote:Zounds! :Þ

That is one of my favorite curses! You know where it comes from, da? It is a contraction of "God's Wounds!" 400 years ago, it was about as offensive as "Crap!" or "Shit!", but became so overused that it lost that vulgar effect, and is now relegated to compartive disuse.

xander

How very fascina...*..zzZZz....zzZZzzZZZz....*

Curses! That's my favourite. Plain and simple, but it's so lame!

The best usage of it was in Orgazmo.

Bad Guy #1 (in high pitched little girl voice, shaking his fist): Curses!

Bad Guy #2 (Looks incredulously at Bad Guy #1): ....Curses?

...Okay, not so funny written down. It's funnier to actually see it.
Cheshyr
level1
level1

Wow...

Postby Cheshyr » Tue May 16, 2006 10:17 am

Considering I've only seen 2 pieces of FanArt, this thread's getting a lot of attention. All you have to do it post something political, and everyone is on their soapbox. Capitalism, Communism, Catholicism, wtf-ism.. doesn't matter. They're all considered f-ed up by someone.

Anybody else got any art?
If you drink, don't park. Accidents cause people.
Neuroleptic
level1
level1

Re: Wow...

Postby Neuroleptic » Tue May 16, 2006 11:59 pm

Cheshyr wrote:Considering I've only seen 2 pieces of FanArt, this thread's getting a lot of attention. All you have to do it post something political, and everyone is on their soapbox. Capitalism, Communism, Catholicism, wtf-ism.. doesn't matter. They're all considered f-ed up by someone.

Anybody else got any art?

thats a true word! i agree in all opinions 8)

make your photos shop, free your hands, 3d the max, illustrat d'or, shoot the screens and remix :D

Return to “General”