Feature request: Continuous rolling demo mode :-)

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

MrKiasu
level0

Feature request: Continuous rolling demo mode :-)

Postby MrKiasu » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:49 pm

First off, the game is excellent - had a great weekend playing around with it.

But one of my friends made the comment that it would be great to be able to just leave it running in demo mode at work (or even use it as a screensaver) to see what kind of reaction he could provoke (he works at a nuclear research facility :-) and I have to agree it would be a pretty neat feature.

--phil
PhantomTa2
level2
level2

Postby PhantomTa2 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:55 pm

I could imagine somebody creating a screensaver of the game playing......won't be me, of course, I can't do anything like that, but from what I've read, a few of the people here could do it.
As for the reaction....get him to set up a webcam pointing to his workstation, then he can post the vids online to let everyone have a laugh at their expense :D
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:41 pm

We're doing our best :roll:

It would be interesting indeed ... Problem is, to make a "proper" Defcon screensaver from scratch means you more or less have to code the entire concept code again. Just using the supplied graphics for some neat DEFCONesque effects would be that much easier.

I'll look into it, but I'm honestly more interested in mingling with a game based on this wallpaper by Kuth :P
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:44 pm

zanzer7 wrote:I'll look into it, but I'm honestly more interested in mingling with a game based on this wallpaper by Kuth :P

Awesome :D
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
kawsper
level1
level1

Postby kawsper » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:13 pm

Based on his work, wouldn't you consider him to be pretty unsafe to execute non-tested code on a work machine? (I know they have everything seperated, and that it couldn't happen) I wouldn't let people install random things on my nuclear power plant if i had one, just as a safety. I think he could get fired for something like that.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:21 am

someone could get some high res (1024x768+) movies of several demo mode movies & then use one of those screensavers that plays video files.
Bamelin
level2
level2

Re: Feature request: Continuous rolling demo mode :-)

Postby Bamelin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:27 am

MrKiasu wrote:First off, the game is excellent - had a great weekend playing around with it.

But one of my friends made the comment that it would be great to be able to just leave it running in demo mode at work (or even use it as a screensaver) to see what kind of reaction he could provoke (he works at a nuclear research facility :-) and I have to agree it would be a pretty neat feature.

--phil

I work at a centre for street youth. While at work I started yelling "OMG THE HOLOCAUST HAS STARTED!!!" pointing at the screen (which was in rolling demo mode).

You should have seen the look on one kid's face ... absolute panic.

Honestly I didn't think anyone would take me seriously, I felt like an absolute jerk. :oops:

Return to “General”