If you got it for free you should buy it!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

revolutionbr
level0

If you got it for free you should buy it!

Postby revolutionbr » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:52 pm

Ok, the deal on this post is to people write about defcon and it's a message to all the pirates out there:
If you got this game for free: BUY IT!
And now we'll talk to guys why should they buy it (disconsidering that it's a crime as well).

Here is what i told a guy on gamespot.com about it:
I paid 9,95 on this game and considering how great it is i'd say i got it almost for free.
Also, i really think that it's stupid to get games for free when it's a great game and produced by a small company. Our role as players and consumers is to support these small companies that makes great games. Uplink and Darwinia were great, but Defcon is even better.
So if anyone got this game for free, you should re-think your actions, it's ridiculous and you're acting stupidly. If you want more great games in the future, you should first support the good ones today.

Your turn guys
Lionel Mandrake
level2
level2

Postby Lionel Mandrake » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:53 pm

Your little quote-box-thingy didn't quite work, old boy. It should be something like [quote="revolutionbr"], you missed out the speech marks and all. Good luck, and I most certainly agree with your statement, despite its slight illegibility.
PhantomTa2
level2
level2

Postby PhantomTa2 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:54 pm

Well, all the warez versions I know of gave messages about piracy when the client connected, and as far as I know, only played in demo mode
dawa
level1
level1

Postby dawa » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:58 pm

I think they would have to authenticate it to play properly online, so basically theyd just be playing the demo.

Which makes it even more amusing.
Seitaro
level2
level2

Postby Seitaro » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:13 pm

The only limitation in the 'review' copy that's being passed around is not being able to connect to the metaserver. Which is a big deal because playing against the computer is totally un-fun.
Mascot
level1
level1

Re: If you got it for free you should buy it!

Postby Mascot » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:54 pm

revolutionbr wrote:Ok, the deal on this post is to people write about defcon and it's a message to all the pirates out there:
If you got this game for free: BUY IT!
And now we'll talk to guys why should they buy it (disconsidering that it's a crime as well).

...snip...

Your turn guys

I have but one counterargument. Currently, the pirated version works better than the legal one due to the authentication server issues. I can count on my appendages how many times I've managed to bully my way through the auth server so far since release, all other times I'm stuck in demo mode. If it was the official server listing it wouldn't be an issue. I could still setup LAN games or announce my IP to friends and we could play. The only way one can do that now, is if you're *not* playing the legal version.

Return to “General”