Etiquette of an alliance

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

insahno
level0

Etiquette of an alliance

Postby insahno » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:16 pm

I played a 6 player game of Defcon recently. I was part of a 2 player alliance at first. Then a third joined. Then a fourth requested to join, but I voted against him because it seemed unfair to play 4 against 2. But my allies voted him in anyway. So we dominated the game. Near the end I was in second place by score, with an ally in first about 20 or 30 points ahead of me. I had six subs near him that I hadn't used yet, so I broke the alliance and immediately blew the hell out of his London and Paris and various other European cities, knocked him out of first and took an unassailable lead because nobody else had many nukes left.

He left the game immediately without a word, soon two other players did the same. Then the server shutdown before the game officially ended, I assume because whoever was hosting quit. I started to feel a bit guilty like they thought I ruined the game.

Were my ruthless actions proper strategy or unsportsmanlike conduct?
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:18 pm

Both, of course. To win you can't be sportsmanlike. At least, that's my opinion. I've been mullered by my 'ally' in one game, and attempted to muller my 'allies' in other games.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:22 pm

In my opinion, yours was a perfectly good strategy. Well done. :P
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
th3rogue
level1
level1

Postby th3rogue » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:27 pm

aim of the game is to win, not come second place!
wmdzeek
level0

Postby wmdzeek » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:27 pm

For a good diplo game the ppl need to kno that they cant trust anyone. Also it'd be better if the host was a spectator so the game wouldnt end early just because he was pissed.
joeypesci
level1
level1

Re: Etiquette of an alliance

Postby joeypesci » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:29 pm

insahno wrote:I played a 6 player game of Defcon recently. I was part of a 2 player alliance at first. Then a third joined. Then a fourth requested to join, but I voted against him because it seemed unfair to play 4 against 2. But my allies voted him in anyway. So we dominated the game. Near the end I was in second place by score, with an ally in first about 20 or 30 points ahead of me. I had six subs near him that I hadn't used yet, so I broke the alliance and immediately blew the hell out of his London and Paris and various other European cities, knocked him out of first and took an unassailable lead because nobody else had many nukes left.

He left the game immediately without a word, soon two other players did the same. Then the server shutdown before the game officially ended, I assume because whoever was hosting quit. I started to feel a bit guilty like they thought I ruined the game.

Were my ruthless actions proper strategy or unsportsmanlike conduct?

Nothing wrong with that. It's the name of the game. They are called swore losers for quitting because they were losing.

Last night I hosted a game, that wasn't suppose to last to long, even on Real Time. Lasted several hours until 7am GMT+1 time :) The point is, I was hosted and although it was a tough match, near the end, the Russians opened rip with loads of nukes parked of my coast line that I didn't know was there. I got wiped out. Did I quit and close the server? Nope. Just say back and watch the rest of the game (was near the end anyway). Watched the Russians and his/her ally break apart and nuke each other which put the Russians in front and he won the game. It was fun. 2v2 match and only 1 person, my ally which I backstabbed, quit half way through. Wasn't to bad though as he was pretty much dead when the AI took over. Although the sly AI kept quiet, he infact wasn't totally dead and dropped a few nukes on me later on, git.

Was good.

People don't seem to understand REAL TIME though. When they keep moaning "speed it up". This was the moans of the player that ended up leaving.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:29 pm

Then there'd be practically no-one hosting. Host migrating might be useful though.
MarkyX
level1
level1

Postby MarkyX » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Yes, this game goes by who has the most points, not who color. Anyone who complains a backstab is simply too much of anewb in this game. I have actually WON games because some idiot thinks I don't have a backup plan and tries to backstab me.

Always have a backup. This game is about counters, offensives, and position. That includes against your own.
dogthinker
level0

Postby dogthinker » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:36 pm

Yeah, in this game I thinkyou have to EXPECT to be betrayed.

Had a similar experience tonight, where a host rage quit. Game started up as 3v3, but host said '3v3, for now ;)' ... so when he later opened up with all his silos on an opponent, I naturally took the opportunity to eliminate him...... Interestingly, I got the applause of everyone else in the game, for a perfectly timed and executed backstab "consumate professional" was my favourate compliment :)

It's a shame he quit, ending the game, as I was on nearly 300 points already, and reckon I had a chance of making 400 with the forces I had hidden around... :D
insahno
level0

Postby insahno » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:45 pm

I'm glad everyone seems to support ruthlessness, as I think the game is more fun that way. I guess some players just haven't gotten used to the idea of betrayal yet because the game is so new. They are thinking of betrayal in terms of a teamkill in counterstrike, a game that is about winning as a group.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:48 pm

nothing wrong with what you did. The first game I played me & my ally were getting slaughtered so I messaged him we might as well break up & nuke eachother for more points. :) I kept a squad of 6 subs just south of him (he was asia & i was africa, so it wasn't far). But he saved missles for me.
BoKeRoN
level1
level1

Postby BoKeRoN » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:08 pm

In one of my first games (5 players), i was Asia, and get allied with Africa. The, the Europe player send me a message to defeat my alliance at Defcon 2 (do you remember, Montypy? :twisted: :twisted: "pass to the dark side..."). I accepted, and defeated and join Europe 10 seconds before Defcon 1, with my subs and bombers over Africa (he assumed that the bombers were heading Europe).

We crashed the poor Africa in less than a minute, and get free to deal with Usa and South America. I think it was a very smart move... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Memno
level1
level1

Postby Memno » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:44 pm

Some of my most fun games so far have happened due to backstabbing and alliances falling apart mid game so far. I expect it, hell i was so suprised the one time our Alliance didn't fall apart, I hadn't got around to launching my nukes from the subs sitting off their coasts. The game ended with all 6 of them sitting there full of nukes :x
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:17 pm

"2 men enter, one man leave!"

or how about:

"There can be only one"

If you're in first place, you can rest assured your allies will stab you sooner or later! The same if you have the only big population cities left on the board. It sounds like you played the game well, insanho. It's one of the things that sets Defcon apart from other multiplayer games, and when people realize that's how they have to play to win, it makes the experience that much more intense and exhilarating.

Alliances are still hugely important because they can often (hm, maybe I should say "sometimes") be relied on as a non-aggression pact for a good amount of time, but it's still always a game of when to cut-and-run. (much like the timeless awesome backstabbing boardgame, Diplomacy)
Lionel Mandrake
level2
level2

Postby Lionel Mandrake » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:26 pm

I'd say that a lot of the fun is in the backstabbing and alliances, though I must say I am usually a team player. However, in this game, I expect it, so fun is all around!

Return to “General”