Any way to select multiple units or give multiple commands?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Tken
level1
level1

Any way to select multiple units or give multiple commands?

Postby Tken » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:27 am

Activating MRBMs on a fleet or two of subs one sub by one takes a long time. Am I missing an obvious way to select multiple units or give multiple commands at once?

P.S. is it just me or was the confirmation code for registering on the forums pretty hard to read? I didn't get it till the 5th try, it was like a damn 3D art puzzle compared to other sites. :D
Cunny Funt
level1
level1

Postby Cunny Funt » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:36 am

Yeah noticed that too. You can't really (maybe I don't know how) launch ICBMs simultanously from two or more silos. First you must select one with the right mouse button, then switch to launch mode and do it with the next one etc. I would like to have the option to click on the left mouse button and move it over the units you want to select, then release the mouse button and your units you wanted to, are selected.

Just like Command&Conquer... :lol:
Tken
level1
level1

Postby Tken » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:41 am

Yeah, just like C&C would be nice. And just to note, C&C wasn't near the first game to have the drag and select, and so far, I think Defcon is the first RTS ever since C&C not to have it, that I've played anyway. That's a bummer after being spoiled with half a dozen RTS's with it. :(

Really though, I think the game functions fine without it, except for one thing: naval combat. I mean, if the 6 ships are going to be considered one cohesive unit, there should be a way to ORDER them as one cohesive unit (other than just moving).
Cunny Funt
level1
level1

Postby Cunny Funt » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:50 am

Tken wrote:Yeah, just like C&C would be nice. And just to note, C&C wasn't near the first game to have the drag and select, and so far, I think Defcon is the first RTS ever since C&C not to have it, that I've played anyway. That's a bummer after being spoiled with half a dozen RTS's with it. :(

Really though, I think the game functions fine without it, except for one thing: naval combat. I mean, if the 6 ships are going to be considered one cohesive unit, there should be a way to ORDER them as one cohesive unit (other than just moving).

I think for this game it IS important to have the drag and select function. You give the player the possibility to select his unit/units fast and he has the choice if he wants select one or more unit/units at the same time.
Last edited by Cunny Funt on Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cunny Funt
level1
level1

Re: Any way to select multiple units or give multiple comman

Postby Cunny Funt » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:52 am

Tken wrote:P.S. is it just me or was the confirmation code for registering on the forums pretty hard to read? I didn't get it till the 5th try, it was like a damn 3D art puzzle compared to other sites. :D

It took me 20min or so to get through this shit... :lol:
Tken
level1
level1

Postby Tken » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:55 am

Cunny Funt wrote:It took me 20min or so to get through this shit... :lol:

Maybe it's a subliminal ad for Uplink; we were supposed to hack it. :lol:
Cunny Funt
level1
level1

Postby Cunny Funt » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:58 am

Tken wrote:
Cunny Funt wrote:It took me 20min or so to get through this shit... :lol:

Maybe it's a subliminal ad for Uplink; we were supposed to hack it. :lol:

LOL, yeah I thought that too. It was so shitty. Maybe because i didn't read the little notice on the left "...code is case sensitive and zero has a diagonal line through it...."

Okay, back to topic. :lol:
DieHard
level0

Postby DieHard » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:11 am

Yeah, it needs some better controls.
Just copy WarCraft III controls. You don't even need drag thing.
CTR+Click selects all units of same time in area. Or double click on some unit, selects all units of that type in area.
That would make selecting 6 silos way better and all nukes launch at the same time too.

What I do now to sync nukes,I put it on slowest and launch them one by one, but during online game you can't really
do it.
Cunny Funt
level1
level1

Postby Cunny Funt » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:11 am

DieHard wrote:Yeah, it needs some better controls.
Just copy WarCraft III controls. You don't even need drag thing.
CTR+Click selects all units of same time in area. Or double click on some unit, selects all units of that type in area.
That would make selecting 6 silos way better and all nukes launch at the same time too.

What I do now to sync nukes,I put it on slowest and launch them one by one, but during online game you can't really
do it.

That's also a good solution. :)
XF Clohvn
level1
level1

Postby XF Clohvn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:42 am

DieHard wrote:What I do now to sync nukes,I put it on slowest and launch them one by one, but during online game you can't really
do it.

Sure you can :P Usually the person who starts moaning about a few seconds of real time speed is the one who's about to get pummeled senseless :D
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:52 am

In fact, you can issue an order to the whole fleet. When you're selecting it from the menu of options (e.g. Fighter mode, Bomber mode, Anti-Sub), you can issue the order to all units of the same type by SHIFT-left-clicking instead of just left-clicking.
Keithustus
level1
level1

Postby Keithustus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:15 am

Hegemon Hog wrote:In fact, you can issue an order to the whole fleet. When you're selecting it from the menu of options (e.g. Fighter mode, Bomber mode, Anti-Sub), you can issue the order to all units of the same type by SHIFT-left-clicking instead of just left-clicking.

Holy crap! Thanks! I've got to go test this!

It only works on fleets, right? Any way I can change modes on multiple silos simultaneously?
kryptic
level1
level1

Postby kryptic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:26 am

Keithustus wrote:
Hegemon Hog wrote:In fact, you can issue an order to the whole fleet. When you're selecting it from the menu of options (e.g. Fighter mode, Bomber mode, Anti-Sub), you can issue the order to all units of the same type by SHIFT-left-clicking instead of just left-clicking.

Holy crap! Thanks! I've got to go test this!

It only works on fleets, right? Any way I can change modes on multiple silos simultaneously?

Not with the shift trick at least.. :(
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:29 am

All I know is that this can be done for ships within the same fleet, and that's all. I haven't really tested it with multiple silos, but I really doubt it.

I am wondering if we will ever get waypoints, because sometimes the computers pathfinding to the target position is less than stellar. Maneuvering my subs between england and iceland for a sneak attack while avoiding the anti-sub carrier nearby was needlessly complicated by the fleet autofinding a "better" path RIGHT THRU THE CENTER OF THEIR FLEET. It would also allow finer control over our fighters and bombers for those important strikes. Anyway, that's my case for waypoints :D
XF Clohvn
level1
level1

Postby XF Clohvn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:43 am

On the topic of fighter/bomber navigation, you'd think their turning radius would be an awful lot smaller given the scale. A fighter that turns in a hundred mile arc would be somewhat useless :P

Return to “General”