So steam version of Defcon DOES require steam?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

dakster
level1
level1

So steam version of Defcon DOES require steam?

Postby dakster » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:13 pm

Not that it's a huge deal, but I was surprised that when I tried to start defcon without starting steam (having already authenticated successfully) it complained about steam.dll or something. I remember people saying that defcon wouldn't require steam, I'm wondering if I'm just screwing something up, or at this point defcon does require steam being online, if you did indeed purchase through steam. Any chance this would be removed in the future?
Freyar
level2
level2

Postby Freyar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:16 pm

As far as I know, any game from STEAM requires STEAM to run.

I don't remember reading anywhere saying that it would be otherwise.
dakster
level1
level1

Postby dakster » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:18 pm

Apparently you don't need to run steam to play darwinia or uplink purchased through steam, but I guess with the extra authentication for online they're linked into the steam system. There's a bunch of forums posts saying that they were using steam for delivery only, but I can't find 'em now, I think they may have temporarily disabled the search feature of the forums.
kikinchaz
level2
level2

Postby kikinchaz » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:18 pm

I tried downloading the retail version last night, then copying my Authkey file from my steam version into the retail version's folder and it seemed to work. Authenticated and everything :o ! Not sure if thats meant to happen or what, but its quite cool :)

ChaZ
Freyar
level2
level2

Postby Freyar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:20 pm

I thought that it might work, copying a steam key over. however I'm wondering how the steam keys are given out by the Steam system.
dakster
level1
level1

Postby dakster » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:23 pm

Ah, I didn't think of downloading the version from IV's site and putting my key in there. Good idea. Looking at the debug file, it looks like the steam version queried steam for the key based on the steamid (I guess IV gave the keys to steam for each preload order), and then the steam version of defcon automagically entered the key for ya, and then it operated like normal, hitting up the IV server.
Freyar
level2
level2

Postby Freyar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:26 pm

That makes sense. Just a "convienience" by Steam.

Just be carefull that we don't breach ToS with this.
yokken
level2
level2

Postby yokken » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:27 pm

kikinchaz wrote:I tried downloading the retail version last night, then copying my Authkey file from my steam version into the retail version's folder and it seemed to work. Authenticated and everything :o ! Not sure if thats meant to happen or what, but its quite cool :)

ChaZ

LOL! It actually works! That's insane. I'll still play with Steam, but it's cool to know that it works. :D
Pyrostasis
level2
level2

Postby Pyrostasis » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:53 pm

well for those of us who are wanting to play from work steam is NOT an option... Ill have to take a look at this work around and see how it works... if this is good then Ill be a happy camper... if not... not so happy.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:58 pm

Pyrostasis wrote:well for those of us who are wanting to play from work steam is NOT an option... Ill have to take a look at this work around and see how it works... if this is good then Ill be a happy camper... if not... not so happy.

install the demo, copy the demo to a 64mb USB drive with the authkey file, then go nuts! I plan on trying this at work next week. :D
Pyrostasis
level2
level2

Postby Pyrostasis » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:04 pm

yeah had planned on giving it a shot today at work, but didnt have time to try and find a work around
Smiler
level0

Postby Smiler » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:01 pm

I only needed to put steam.dll in my Defcon folder in order for it to run without steam.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:06 pm

TheHappyFriar wrote:install the demo, copy the demo to a 64mb USB drive with the authkey file, then go nuts! I plan on trying this at work next week. :D

Preferably an appropriately decorated USB drive.
Al3xand3r
level1
level1

Postby Al3xand3r » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:14 pm

After you have managed to auth your key and everything you can start DEFCON without launching Steam first. All you have to do is make a copy of Steam.dll and place it in the main DEFCON folder.

Double clicking DEFCON.exe should allow it to run fine since the CD key check and everything else is done via IntroVersion's servers and not via Steam. Of course you can make a shortcut of DEFCON.exe and launch it from the desktop as any other game.

Keep in mind that if Steam is actually running, using the above will cause errors on start up for some reason (but perhaps after clicking ok to go through them it then works fine, I haven't tested). It's not a problem though, it only means that if you have Steam running you should use Steam to launch DEFCON while this method should only be used when Steam is shut down.

Have fun whatever way you launch it :D
Mod HQ - http://www.mod-hq.com/
All you need for HL2 & Steam news

Return to “General”