General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

kikinchaz
level2
level2

Official Sales?

Postby kikinchaz » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:34 am

Hey all,

Was just wondering if theres any news on the amount of sales the game has had at launch? Would be great to know how many it had and compare those with steam.

ChaZ
Keithustus
level1
level1

Postby Keithustus » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:07 am

Considering that the IV Store got completely fuxored at H-Hour, I'd say, "a lot!" :) Probably everyone had much better luck at Steam, yes?
Soulkeeper
level3
level3

Postby Soulkeeper » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:09 am

Not really :-)

Steam suffered a bug with authentication which meant that all users were thought to be DEMO users rather than paid users. Was fixed in like, 15 minutes though. Other than that, the metaservers for MP were under serious stress 'cos everyone wanted to go MP at once.
- I see your destiny, I control your fate. I am the Guardian Soulkeeper. -
Freyar
level2
level2

Postby Freyar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:23 am

Auth servers were having issues too at the number of users trying to auth at once.
Soldant
level2
level2

Postby Soldant » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:26 am

Seems like a success so far for IV. Totally worth my $23AUD. Can't wait for my boxed copy, my friends are going to... probably attack and beat me over the head with a stick to get it. I told them to pre-order it but they decided not to.
Freyar
level2
level2

Postby Freyar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:32 am

Soldant wrote:Can't wait for my boxed copy, my friends are going to... probably attack and beat me over the head with a stick to get it. I told them to pre-order it but they decided not to.

Quoted for Effect and Truth
DaveKap
level1
level1

Postby DaveKap » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:10 pm

There were 1500 servers at once. Average 3 people each and you get 4500 sold. Keep in mind soooo many people bought the game but haven't gotten the download link or simply weren't at their computer today and you have bunches more sold. Plus I doubt my 3 person per server number is correct, it's probably more.

I'm sure enough is a good answer.
kikinchaz
level2
level2

Postby kikinchaz » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:14 pm

Thanks guys :) Yeah i prosume it sold quite abit, would love an officialy number from IV though.

ChaZ
CanoeMan
level1
level1

Postby CanoeMan » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:43 pm

Yeah, ~5000 buyers in the first four hours is pretty good!

Anyone know how many units have to be sold for IV to break even? I mean, they have spent a lot of money on this project (18 months worth of wages + all the other stuff needed to make a game), and they are selling it for insanely cheap.
th3rogue
level1
level1

Postby th3rogue » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:16 pm

CanoeMan wrote:Yeah, ~5000 buyers in the first four hours is pretty good!

Anyone know how many units have to be sold for IV to break even? I mean, they have spent a lot of money on this project (18 months worth of wages + all the other stuff needed to make a game), and they are selling it for insanely cheap.

I doubt they have spent that much really, the game itself is damn simple, it's a step above chess, it's basically a well polished shareware game, distribution was via the internet which is ridiculously cheap (especially with so many using steam)

I'm no where near an expert but I presume the profit margin on this project is pretty good and was a very low risk investment
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:43 pm

th3rogue wrote:
CanoeMan wrote:Yeah, ~5000 buyers in the first four hours is pretty good!

I doubt they have spent that much really, the game itself is damn simple, it's a step above chess, it's basically a well polished shareware game, distribution was via the internet which is ridiculously cheap (especially with so many using steam)

I'm no where near an expert but I presume the profit margin on this project is pretty good and was a very low risk investment

low risk? Please, go to the darwinia-site and read up on the history of that game; the IV-staff hat to move back in with their parents and sell everything they posessed to get that game out of the door.
Keithustus
level1
level1

Postby Keithustus » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:57 pm

The IV staff aren't wearing rags like they were before Darwinia became popular. Look at the cars they play with before the IGF in their diary. It would shock me if any of them were in financial hardship during the last 18 months:
*tons of money from Darwinia: initial sales, Steam sales, IGF winnings
*Uplink now on Steam
*DEFCON didn't cost s%&* to produce...no live action video capture, no audio recording, no whizbang special effects...nothing that EA spends tens or hundreds of thousands to put into nearly every game. IV's only real expenses for DEFCON are for programming and management time.

I wish more awesome games were $9.99/$14.99/$17.50/$23.50. IV FTW!
Drakkenfyre
level1
level1

Postby Drakkenfyre » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:14 pm

Keithustus wrote:The IV staff aren't wearing rags like they were before Darwinia became popular. Look at the cars they play with before the IGF in their diary. It would shock me if any of them were in financial hardship during the last 18 months:
*tons of money from Darwinia: initial sales, Steam sales, IGF winnings
*Uplink now on Steam
*DEFCON didn't cost s%&* to produce...no live action video capture, no audio recording, no whizbang special effects...nothing that EA spends tens or hundreds of thousands to put into nearly every game. IV's only real expenses for DEFCON are for programming and management time.

I wish more awesome games were $9.99/$14.99/$17.50/$23.50. IV FTW!

In the EuroGamer interview of Chris Delay he said the "only serious content" they had to make was the music

link to the article

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62477

-Drakk )))
Keithustus
level1
level1

Postby Keithustus » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:19 pm

clarification: when I said "audio" I meant hours and hours--with expensive editing and mastering--of voice dialogue and special effects. Obviously, they made music.
th3rogue
level1
level1

Postby th3rogue » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:19 pm

Darwinia I imagine was a lot harder of a game to produce, Defcon however is effectively 2D, a board game, something the average starting games programmer would make a less flashier version of as a learning exercise

I'm not taking away anything from the game, it's great, and is very well made, but like Keithustus it is in a completely different league in terms of the investment and the risk that are put into a AAA title by producers like EA, Activision, etc..

Return to “General”