Playable/nukeable nations?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Oro?
level1
level1

Postby Oro? » Wed May 17, 2006 8:24 pm

Phydaux wrote:
BrianBlessed wrote:The armed with x-ray lasers seems less feasible....mainly because it doesn't even make sense. To the best of my memory a Laser is in the visible light spectrum, primarily because a concentrated beam of x-rays wouldn't really do anything....

Now you shall all bow to the might of my neutrino cannon, Mwahaha
X-rays are only a step away from gamma rays, and have much more energy than visible light. An x-ray laser is more powerful than a visible light laser.

Well lasers and the like work on the same idea as a microwave when it comes to stopping nukes. The plan is to heat up the nuclear payload so it detonates in midair. Thus you just nuke the ocean or something, not a country.
Cheshyr
level1
level1

Postby Cheshyr » Wed May 17, 2006 9:09 pm

Or one of the cities between the launch point and the target. :-p

If it's a nuclear payload, then heat shouldn't do anything, right? The amount of energy required to start a nuclear reaction... I would assume the laser would have t be powerful enough (and targetting) to completely disable the propulsion system of tohe missile... or it's targetting system/computer/etc...[/u]
If you drink, don't park. Accidents cause people.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu May 18, 2006 12:37 am

The bigger problem with lasers is that you have not much time to target a moving target, and if there's clouds or other things between you and the target, you can' t hit it.

Lasers are powerfull enough to take down a nuke, but you really have to hit it right for a long enough time to do any damage. You're much better off trying to strike it down with a rocket than a laser...

NeoThermic
MMC
level1
level1
Location: Newport, S Wales / Southmere (Thamesmead), SE London

Postby MMC » Thu May 18, 2006 1:32 am

The advantage of using a rocket over a laser, is the rocket will destroy the nuke (assuming it doesn't have an ultimate-paranoid-backup-proximity-trigger(tm)), whereas the laser would have the chance (although unlikely if targetted properly) of triggering the nuke.

So which would you prefer? A pretty much guaranteed hit with a chance of nuclear detonation (even over the water), or a high likelyhood of a hit effectively no chance of nuclear detonation? Although I wouldn't mind seeing the Darwinian equivalent of Dr Strangelove appearing in Defcon :P.
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Thu May 18, 2006 5:23 am

<snip>
Last edited by daset on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oro?
level1
level1

Postby Oro? » Thu May 18, 2006 8:36 pm

Cheshyr wrote:Or one of the cities between the launch point and the target. :-p

If it's a nuclear payload, then heat shouldn't do anything, right? The amount of energy required to start a nuclear reaction... I would assume the laser would have t be powerful enough (and targetting) to completely disable the propulsion system of tohe missile... or it's targetting system/computer/etc...[/u]

Well, rocket fuel is explosive too and the missiles gotta fly somehow...

Also, like i said lasers are still in development and are gaining power.
Free Electron lasers are already able to melt metal and shoot through moisture such as clouds.

Return to “General”