Is a CD available

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

blueberry606
level0

Is a CD available

Postby blueberry606 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:31 am

I bought the game through steam.Will a CD be available?So I can play on my laptop instead of installing all of steam?
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:32 am

No, not if you brought through Steam, sorry.

The files might (as Darwinia) be extractable from Steam and installable on your laptop though - you'll have to wait until release to find out if this is so.
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:33 am

Should have bought from the Introversion store. You can download, and then they send you a shiny new copy of the boxed game.
Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:34 am

Nope only people who order IV gets this advantage.
Muffinabus
level0

Postby Muffinabus » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:40 am

Oookay, first of all "all of steam" is nothing. The program itself is actually very small. You install that onto your laptop and you can easily download the 60 MB game in a couple of minutes. Second, you can backup your steam games onto CD's. If you have a CD burner just right click Defcon (when it comes out) click backup game files then follow the instructions. You will still need to use steam, the only luxury (as some people may think of it (I personally love steam and love using it)) you get with the introversion boxed version is you arent required to use steam.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:58 pm

Muffinabus wrote:You will still need to use steam, the only luxury ...you get with the introversion boxed version is you arent required to use steam.

Probably not. If Defcon is anything like Uplink and Darwinia (and there is no reason to suspect that it is not), then you can copy the files right out of the correct directory, place them somewhere else, and run the game from that somewhere else. No Steam needed.

xander
nikeplektrum
level1
level1

Postby nikeplektrum » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:42 am

will writing your steam key down, downloading the game installer from teh website and entering the kei in the installed software work?
Luk0r
level1
level1

Postby Luk0r » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:06 am

Muffinabus wrote:You will still need to use steam, the only luxury (as some people may think of it (I personally love steam and love using it)) you get with the introversion boxed version is you arent required to use steam.

Yes I know what you mean. I personally cream my pants just thinking about that resource usage and clunkiness as it starts up and connects to the Valve network. Oh yes.

Proud IV store pre-orderer. :)

xander wrote:Probably not. If Defcon is anything like Uplink and Darwinia (and there is no reason to suspect that it is not), then you can copy the files right out of the correct directory, place them somewhere else, and run the game from that somewhere else. No Steam needed.

xander

Well this time the only difference is that it uses keys. The authentication with the Steam servers may require it to link to the actual running Steam process. Uplink and Darwinia didn't have online authentication, so they were *completely* stand-alone. If you downloaded them, you could play them.

nikeplektrum wrote:will writing your steam key down, downloading the game installer from teh website and entering the kei in the installed software work?

Doubt it. The version the Steam client downloads for you is specially editted to authenticate with the Steam servers. The client you get directly from Introversion uses their own MetaServer I believe.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:15 am

Luk0r wrote:Doubt it. The version the Steam client downloads for you is specially editted to authenticate with the Steam servers. The client you get directly from Introversion uses their own MetaServer I believe.

Both use the metaserver AFAICT.

NeoThermic
Luk0r
level1
level1

Postby Luk0r » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:17 am

How would the MetaServer know which Steam accounts have bought the game?

Lol...

I believe it does the same as Source servers do (CS:S, HL2:DM, etc) when you connect to one, they retrieve the Steam ID (STEAM:x:x:xxxxxx) from the client and authenticate it with the master servers, then allow the client in or deny access depending on the response from them.
Last edited by Luk0r on Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bshock
level1
level1

Postby bshock » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:18 am

I just tried writing down my Steam key and entering it into IV's client version. It doesn't work. The Steam key is shorter than what is required.

Sort of ticked off about it, because I was under the impression Steam was just used to deliver the game, not required to play it.

Edit: I'm a moron. You have to manually enter the dashes. It does, in fact, work.
Last edited by bshock on Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
failtech
level0

Postby failtech » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:20 am

nikeplektrum wrote:will writing your steam key down, downloading the game installer from teh website and entering the kei in the installed software work?

yes.
Luk0r
level1
level1

Postby Luk0r » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:22 am

It works?

So did Steam actually supply a CD key? I thought it was done on an 'this account is allowed, this one isn't.. blah blah' sort of thing. I wouldn't know because I didn't use Steam. :)
bshock
level1
level1

Postby bshock » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:24 am

Luk0r wrote:It works?

So did Steam actually supply a CD key? I thought it was done on an 'this account is allowed, this one isn't.. blah blah' sort of thing.

Yep, it does work.
Luk0r
level1
level1

Postby Luk0r » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:26 am

Well that's weird, I've never actually seen a Steam game be like 'thank you for buying, here's your CD key...'. It usually works from the Steam's master server.

Return to “General”