StarWars defence mechanism?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Gravitron
level3
level3

StarWars defence mechanism?

Postby Gravitron » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:15 am

Now, all we wanna do is throw around tons of nukes at people, of course.
However, naturaly, the developer never gives you a somewhat overpowered weapon without balances and checks.
So, aside say taking time to manufacture, or requiring heavy resources or what not have you in any other RTS, I was thinking, counter measures?
So, in james bond's global war game, you had a "shield" for blocking incoming missiles.
IRL, you have anti-missile missiles to intercept them out (yeah, good luck with that one).
And then, you have ex-president Reagan's StarWars.
Now wouldn't that be nice? Being able to deploy the ultimate sattelite defence rig (like, research technology and shit, then later in the game you get it, or something)?
Say 50% nukes fool-proof?
Not to mention some neat graphic effex.
iGAME...on the PC
kneecaps
level1
level1

Postby kneecaps » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:25 am

I don't reckon that such an advantage would improve the gameplay.

The spirit of the game obviously mimics 'Global Thermonuclear War'...today and for a long time to come its a game without winners. Such a sattelite defence ring would give the owner a great advantage.

Anti-missile missiles seems to be the best way to go, as you trade your offensive strike weapon for a defensive weapon...

This is where the strategy of the game gets really sticky.

Do you intercept half of the incoming, a quarter or none at all and launch everything you have doomsday style? :D

What draws me into this game is the fact that whatever you do is going to be a compromise unlike traditional RTS type games. The 'mine resource ---> build ---> kill' cycle does not harm yourself.

[/b]
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:22 pm

Yeah, from the original article in PCG, it was indicated that the missile silos doubled as both attack launches and anti-nuke missles. However, the could only operate in one mode at a time, and switching between the two modes took time. So you could launch all your missiles, but not have enough time to switch to defensive mode before you got hit.
calmyswunt
level1
level1

Re: StarWars defence mechanism?

Postby calmyswunt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:18 pm

Return to “General”