Hot Keys?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:27 pm

Phelanpt wrote:
Pyrostasis wrote:Bah doesnt work where I work. They have a program that views the desktop 24/7 of all computers and quality randomly polls you.

Kinda not possible here QQ

Hmm, interesting, didn't know that corporations had started to do that... Do they take screenshots every x minutes? Or is it a log of the activities?

My college use to do it. Usually an admin would click through the active users, watch for a few seconds then move onto the next person. If they saw any suspious activity they would click up your Start Menu and take a screenshot. It wasn't long though before people complained about invasion of privacy and such which lead to the college no longer carrying out such activities.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
yokken
level2
level2

Postby yokken » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:34 pm

They did it at my old school as well. It was some Microsoft app, and they'd just scroll through the users. It really pissed me off sometimes. They got mad because I went on Gmail. -_-

And then last year, a class I had had this software installed that showed ALL the users at once. It was pretty nifty, but it updated slow to keep bandwidth usage down. :]
ander75it
level2
level2

Postby ander75it » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:47 pm

I don't know about the US, but in Italy this is a serious felony, whether you are at home or in the office.
Ander
@=

Message follows, Alpha, Seven, Eight, November, Foxtrot, One, Five, Two, Two
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:19 pm

ander75it wrote:I don't know about the US, but in Italy this is a serious felony, whether you are at home or in the office.

Are you sure about that? I know that in the US, most companies monitor their employees, and that more companies at other countries are starting to do it too... I think the argument goes that since it's their hardware, and their network infrastructure, it should only be used for company purposes. So they monitor what you do on the company computer, to make sure you don't spend too much time reading email, playing games, etc.
Toast_boy
level1
level1

Postby Toast_boy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:33 pm

Im at work...are they watching me?...Im scared
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:42 am

Well, in my old school we were watched at random (although after some "incidents", I was frequently watched) via VNC. Too bad for them that I managed to code a VNC crasher that would just respond with a huge malformed packet and crash their viewer :)

NeoThermic
naterd00d
level1
level1

Postby naterd00d » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:43 pm

when choosing ships for your fleet, shift selecting fills your queue with a particular ship

that seems like a time saver :P
shilsdon
level1
level1

Postby shilsdon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:55 pm

VNC isn't THAT difficult to get around but there are unfortunately any number of other programs that do a similar thing (and some are a lot better).

At work I use Netsupport for remote server and desktop administration, which is kinda neat, since I can fix almost any issues without leaving my desk. Of course, if I was of the frame of mind I could use this to spy on my co-workers.

Now, both VNC and Netsupport indicate when someone is connected to your machine, but there are other programs out there that don't. Anybody remember when all the kiddies were using NetBus (and later BackOrifice)?

-Stephen-
dobbie
level1
level1

Postby dobbie » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:05 pm

I will second the request for multi-selection of units. Individual clicking is so very Dune II :P
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:28 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Well, in my old school we were watched at random (although after some "incidents", I was frequently watched) via VNC. Too bad for them that I managed to code a VNC crasher that would just respond with a huge malformed packet and crash their viewer :)

NeoThermic

I fondly remember a school network in which the .bat file they used to run updates on logon was open to editing by anyone who went to '\\netlogon', leading to the inevitable failure of any attempts to automatically install monitoring programs.
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:31 pm

From what I've seen, I doubt moving units around en masse is really that necessary even in the faster games. The units don't appear to move that quickly.
Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Return to “General”