Hot Keys?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Toast_boy
level1
level1

Hot Keys?

Postby Toast_boy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:26 pm

Will there be hot keys? In the preview video it didnt look like there was. This could make it really hard to select the correct fleet you want if the over lap couldnt it? Just wondering if there will be a hot keys option.
nuk-a-bazooka
level1
level1

Postby nuk-a-bazooka » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:07 pm

I was also wondering... is there a PANIC! button anywhere?
Napalm Sushi
level2
level2

Re: Hot Keys?

Postby Napalm Sushi » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:07 pm

PC Gamer wrote:You can't select multiple units in Defcon, set waypoints or hotkeys, create control groups or glance at a mini-map, and you will want to. For better or worse, these omissions are intentional: by automating as little as possible, Defcon makes a game of trying to control an entire country's arsenal with your bare cursor. It feels awkward at first, but before long you'll delight in manually redirecting each of your bombers on incrementally larger detours in order to perfectly synchronise their nuclear storm on London. When it succeeds, the apocalypse is all the sweeter for being the result of your own impeccable judgement and fastidious tweaking.
ninjak
level1
level1

Postby ninjak » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:57 pm

Yeah I'm kind of bummed about the lack of hot keys as well. I don't see any harm in adding them, if ppl don't want to use hotkeys then they don't have to.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:08 am

nuk-a-bazooka wrote:I was also wondering... is there a PANIC! button anywhere?

There's a Oh-no-here-comes-the-boss-button, if that's what you mean.
bshock
level1
level1

Postby bshock » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:14 am

What would you need hot keys for? You don't build anything and there are few groups of units you move around the map. It's all very simple and no hot keys are needed.
ninjak
level1
level1

Postby ninjak » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:03 am

Hot keys would be very helpful for switching modes on ships / airfields / silos. Also to select units within a group, like if you have 6 subs and want to nuke with each. Right now you have to click a sub, click cities to nuke, click a sub, click cities... if you could use 1-6 to select subs 1-6 in the group then you wouldn't have to switch back to your subs at all.

Just a wild guess but I think we may see hot keys implemented as ppl complain.
Toast_boy
level1
level1

Postby Toast_boy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:30 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself :D
SMurf
level0

Postby SMurf » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:33 pm

What IV should do (I think they'll probably add this in a patch later) is to have a hot key that launches teh nookz. Pressing it would cause Clippit of Microsoft Office fame to appear and say "It appears that you are wanting to destroy the world. Would you like some help?". 8)
Pyrostasis
level2
level2

Postby Pyrostasis » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:40 pm

Phelanpt wrote:

Bah doesnt work where I work. They have a program that views the desktop 24/7 of all computers and quality randomly polls you.

Kinda not possible here QQ
Toast_boy
level1
level1

Postby Toast_boy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:44 pm

Just get the moderator to play aswell :)
crowleyhammer
level1
level1

Postby crowleyhammer » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:47 pm

from what i have seen this game dosent seem to be fast enough for you to have to worry about scrambling over the map in a panic,it seems the whole idea is to calmly patiently move your units,why do you have to worry about selecting units with hotkeys when it appears(and this is guesswork) you have sometimes 30 seconds to react to situations.i know you can speed the game up but surely you wouldnt turn it up "THAT" fast would you?
What will you do when your the strongest?
Perhaps it is not my place to ask,
or perhaps i already know.
Toast_boy
level1
level1

Postby Toast_boy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:49 pm

Trust me you would. People will want to nuke nuke nuke and throw strats out the window. 15 mins games will prob be the majority of games played (speed defcon)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:18 pm

Toast_boy wrote:Trust me you would. People will want to nuke nuke nuke and throw strats out the window. 15 mins games will prob be the majority of games played (speed defcon)

Somehow, I kind of doubt that. There are some people that get a kick out of speed chess. There are others that do not. I intend to play games in the 45 minute to 2 hour range.

xander
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:21 pm

Pyrostasis wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:

Bah doesnt work where I work. They have a program that views the desktop 24/7 of all computers and quality randomly polls you.

Kinda not possible here QQ

Hmm, interesting, didn't know that corporations had started to do that... Do they take screenshots every x minutes? Or is it a log of the activities?

Return to “General”