Anyone else bummed?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Bas
level2
level2
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:46 pm

Anyone else bummed?

Postby Bas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:02 pm

Both Defcon AND Company Of Heroes ship this Friday in Europe. I want to play both, but there's only one me. Bleh. Please Introversion, delay Defcon! This way, I can play some Company Of Heroes, which scored a perfect 10 on Eurogamer, before proceeding to nuke the entire world ("Thanks for saving the world from Nazis, now blow it up!".
User avatar
xyzyxx
level5
level5
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:50 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Postby xyzyxx » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:04 pm

Delay it yourself. You can buy Defcon later next week (Or buy it now and put it on the shelf until you've had some fun with the other game)
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Mizer
level2
level2
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:45 pm

Postby Mizer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:05 pm

Not really, I played the beta of COH and wasn't too impressed.

Plus the lag issues made the multiplayer unbearable!
User avatar
timonator
level2
level2
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:03 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby timonator » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:06 pm

or get a horrible clonk addiction and spend the next months only playing clonk and then remembering that defcon still exists and forget about the heroes game thing....
Bas
level2
level2
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:46 pm

Postby Bas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:08 pm

xyzyxx wrote:Delay it yourself. You can buy Defcon later next week (Or buy it now and put it on the shelf until you've had some fun with the other game)

And risk getting owned by everyone? Heck no! We need to delay this game a full month!!!! It's the only humane thing to do for me, and other people waiting for both games!! :P
Comassion
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:34 pm

Postby Comassion » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:25 pm

I also wasn't too impressed with Company of Heroes, unfortunately. I was looking forward to an RTS done right - but instead I got resource gathering on the battlefield, resources used for things like units throwing grenades, and of course to 'call in reinforcements' (who were hiding in the basement of your HQ, apparently, or dropping in from the sky right on target).

I'm still waiting for Combat Mission with better graphics I suppose. I just want a set number of units (with reinforcements inbound on occasion), and I want to be left to focus on the tactical battle at hand. No base building, no resource gathering, and no economy management.

Which happens to be one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to Defcon.

Don't get me wrong - if you like the resource gathering and such then CoH has made some nice strides, especially in the tactics department by introducing soldiers that can use cover, and tanks that are weaker from the sides than from the front. We're still miles away from the armor penetration mechanics we deserve, but CoH is a step in the right direction.
User avatar
xyzyxx
level5
level5
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:50 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Postby xyzyxx » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:31 pm

Bas wrote:
xyzyxx wrote:Delay it yourself. You can buy Defcon later next week (Or buy it now and put it on the shelf until you've had some fun with the other game)

And risk getting owned by everyone? Heck no! We need to delay this game a full month!!!! It's the only humane thing to do for me, and other people waiting for both games!! :P
You'll be owned no matter what you do. I've already been playing this game for the past month and a half or so. :P I'm also a finalist in the beta-testers' tournament
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
User avatar
BiG D
level2
level2
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:14 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Postby BiG D » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Comassion wrote:I'm still waiting for Combat Mission with better graphics I suppose.
I agree 100%. CoH is nice, they've got some good ideas, but it isn't quite the scope I wanted to see.
User avatar
Kuth
level4
level4
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:55 am
Location: Keele Imperium
Contact:

Re: Anyone else bummed?

Postby Kuth » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:44 pm

Bas wrote:Both Defcon AND Company Of Heroes ship this Friday in Europe. I want to play both, but there's only one me. Bleh. Please Introversion, delay Defcon! This way, I can play some Company Of Heroes, which scored a perfect 10 on Eurogamer, before proceeding to nuke the entire world ("Thanks for saving the world from Nazis, now blow it up!".


I got a better idea- how about we delay Company of Heroes? Defcon is smaller anyway, and not as graphic intense. What a wonderful idea!
bshock
level1
level1
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:56 pm

Postby bshock » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:52 pm

Company of Heroes is good and all, but it requires an uber computer to run decently. The online can be pretty laggy at times as well. I dunno, good game, but the reviews are making it out to be like the second coming of Christopher.
Bas
level2
level2
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:46 pm

Postby Bas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:08 pm

xyzyxx wrote:
Bas wrote:
xyzyxx wrote:Delay it yourself. You can buy Defcon later next week (Or buy it now and put it on the shelf until you've had some fun with the other game)

And risk getting owned by everyone? Heck no! We need to delay this game a full month!!!! It's the only humane thing to do for me, and other people waiting for both games!! :P
You'll be owned no matter what you do. I've already been playing this game for the past month and a half or so. :P I'm also a finalist in the beta-testers' tournament

PFFFFT. That's cheating. Just wait till I download some hax0rz!!!!111 :P
User avatar
TheTubstar
level1
level1
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:45 pm
Location: Derby uni halls!
Contact:

Postby TheTubstar » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:20 pm

I'm bummed for a different reason: Kingdom Hearts 2, Dawn of War: Dark Crusade AND Defcon all come out in the same week!! And Defcon and KH2 release on the same day...
Yes, I am a smartass... At least, that's what it says on my CV....
User avatar
kikinchaz
level2
level2
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:58 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby kikinchaz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:21 pm

Mizer wrote:Not really, I played the beta of COH and wasn't too impressed.

Plus the lag issues made the multiplayer unbearable!


If you stuck with the beta you'd know those issues are now fixed. They even released a 700mb patch containing the full code of the finished game changing a ton of stuff, AI improvements, complete rehaul of all icons etc. Absolute ton of improvements. The lag issues was down to the fact the Relic Online servers couldnt handle the amount of players trying out the beta because they didnt know it was going to be THAT popular! After playing the beta i must say its a bloody amazing game.

So far from an average of the reviews its the second best pc game! Pretty impressive, its only .1% behind half life 2 at the moment, but i dont think it will do better than that once it gets even more reviews from its Europe release on friday.

Still - why cant you get both games? £25 for CoH, £6 for DEFCON - thats about the price of your average old gen console game(ps2,xbox etc) DEFCON is much more of a casual strategy game anyway. Ill see you online on friday night for both of them! :)

ChaZ
User avatar
Baelthazar
level2
level2
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:28 am
Location: United States

Postby Baelthazar » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:22 pm

I already own Company of Heroes (again, its good to be a yankee). Its fine, and in many ways it is a great RTS. But realistically the game is Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War with World War II skins and sounds. That isn't a bad thing, but the gameplay is VERY similar. It is atmospheric, and feels like playing Saving Private Ryan.

However, I have been SOOOO much more excited about Defcon coming out on Friday (so much so that I wrote my first ever FAQ). Its only $10 USD on Steam and 10 of that strangely solid British money used over the Atlantic. Slightly higher in Euros, but not significantly. Get both! They are very different experiences (at least I guess so, cause I haven't played BETA). Defcon is particularly good if you want to play multiplay, as it was coded strictly with this in mind. To me, Defcon looks like the more fun game, as it eschews a heavy storyline for pure gameplay. Read some of the reviews, they can be found in my Unofficial FAQ.

For a similar experience... you could buy Defcon now and wait and buy the upcoming Warhammer 40K: Dark Crusade stand-alone expansion pack. You will get the same gameplay as Company of Heroes, only with Warhammer Units (which are very cool).

Baelthazar :twisted:
User avatar
kikinchaz
level2
level2
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:58 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby kikinchaz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:31 pm

I disagree, CoH is much much better than DoW. DoW is completely lacking in strategical value, which is the reason im not its greatest fan. Its all about either who can get the relic first, or mainly - who can spam as many units as possible. It just gets boring pretty quickly, CoH however is much more strategical and has much more team work envolved with resource income sharing. Also graphically stunning it just looks amazing. Not to say DoW is a bad game, its a good amount of fun but i feel it lacks in variety and strategical thinking.

I think its a safe bet to buy both of them on friday and have a ton of stuff to play for a long time :) Although CoH does need a hefty PC to run, so if your computer is along the specs of DEFCON it wouldnt be a good idea to get both :wink:

ChaZ

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests