Unofficial Launchday Short Tournament

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:02 pm

siloses?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Deloused
level1
level1

Postby Deloused » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Montyphy wrote:siloses?

I thought that too and was just about to make a "All your siloses are belong to us!" joke, but apparently it's a real word. :(
KudrigY
level2
level2

Postby KudrigY » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:26 pm

Heh, English is not my native language, but I googled "siloses" and got results of siloses for corn, grain, etc. so I wrote siloses - I didnt check how many hits did I get - (150 vs 8M for silos)...

Correcting...

PS. Id like You to discuss my arguments not spelling (and such) - I can write those in perfect German, Polish or Russian (heh, family...), but then noone would understand...
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:32 pm

Actually, there are a few Russian and German speaking people on these boards. Although I am neither. :P
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
KudrigY
level2
level2

Postby KudrigY » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:41 pm

Dobrze, ale jestem prawie pewien że jestem pierwszym polakiem :)

Satisfied???

(dont use on-line dictionaries to translate it, they suck)

Translation:
OK, but I am pretty sure I am first Pole around here :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:49 pm

KudrigY wrote:PS. Id like You to discuss my arguments not spelling (and such) - I can write those in perfect German, Polish or Russian (heh, family...), but then noone would understand...

Давай Руский!

xander

EDIT: Also, there are many Poles running around.
PaRappa
level0

Postby PaRappa » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:44 pm

Hola!

I've just pre-ordered Defcon, signed up to the forum and here I am, ready to take action in your tournament. :)

I'd like to join EU-Group 4.

With nuclear regards,

Nicolai alias PaRappa
BoKeRoN
level1
level1

Postby BoKeRoN » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:51 pm

KudrigY wrote:Dobrze, ale jestem prawie pewien że jestem pierwszym polakiem :)

Satisfied???

(dont use on-line dictionaries to translate it, they suck)

Translation:
OK, but I am pretty sure I am first Pole around here :)

Pues a mi me parece que yo soy el único español preparado para bombardearos a todos...

In english: It seems to me that i´m the only spanish ready to bomb you all...
Hoxe
level1
level1

Postby Hoxe » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:12 pm

Parappa - Added to EU4

KudrigY wrote:Hoxe - I disagree.

I can think like a dozen of examples prooving You are wrong, but those should suffice:

- Europe is sending bombers near north pole to strike at US. USA knowing that, may put even one carrier with couple of fighters left near alaska and have some fighters as CAP (ok, send them manually, I think), continuosly sending them to specific area. Effect - bombers will get shot down before lauching their "packages". Whole strategy may collapse then.

Well. First. Planes run on fuel. Not knowing exacly where an opponent's bombers are makes sending fighters to the north pole devestating.
Second. Bombers bombs with nukes. Which means it has to be Defcon 1 before they are truly effective. At defcon 1 you also are fighting missiles, carriers,
bombers, subs, etc. From every part of the world, making your priority to defend your cities and counterattack rather then randomly send planes to the north pole. Bombers can be taken down by silos in AA mode anyway.

KudrigY wrote:- about sub attacks - If I got a warning subs are coming my way, there is no way I would switch my AA-silos to nuke-silos. Hell, I would maintain bomber patrols, if subs have to surface to launch their stuff (first thing I will check on friday night). If so, I think not more that 40% of sub-based nukes would get the luxury to be actually deployed. Some would be destroyed by silos, and all-horrible attack of 20+ nukes would be reduced to all-funny 3-4 nukes.

Yes they have to surface to shoot. (It's on page 7 in the manual)
And Subs fire nukes, that can be taken down by AA-silos, so why would you change to Nuke-silos? As for Subs getting owned. By the time you get your bombers in the air going to the subs. The subs would have shot their nukes, submerged, and moved out.

KudrigY wrote:- enemy does not have to see where You have Your silos or airbases to AVOID them (will not work for small Europe, but for Africa or Asia?). He may choose least defended cities as targets for his land based nukes or just alter course for bombers to minimalize exposure to fighters, etc.

This is true. But as the main goal of the game is the kill people. I'd guess you'd go for the large cities. Also, whats good with nuking cities in which everybody is dead?
KudrigY
level2
level2

Postby KudrigY » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:38 pm

@Hoxe - I dont know whether You already played the game (beta/leaked ver) or not. I did - all my psesumptions are based on what I have seen already. I dont know how many changes were made, it is possible that nothing I mentioned above is true, but let's assume minor changes were made.

One thing You forgot about (or dont know, or You are correct, I am not) launching nukes is that it needs time. Several seconds to reload (subs, silos) or to arm (bombers) them. That means having bombers at bay patrolling means subs can be destroyed BEFORE they can launch (or just after launching a nuke or two).

Hoxe - I could disagree to Your other arguments, but I dont know whether it is worth my effort. If You havent see Defcon in action, You wouldnt believe me anyway. If You have - You played agains AI or noob players only. So, I could only hope to see You as my enemy, my unexperienced friend.

And there is moderate possibility that retail ver is way different that leaked ver, and all i mention above is incorrect.

So, in other words, I am too lazy to argue with You.

See You in game sometime, and let the nukes decide who's tactics win.
Hoxe
level1
level1

Postby Hoxe » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:45 pm

Everything I wrote above is based upon what I have read in this forum and in the manual. Playing the leaked version for 10 minutes (check my first posts I made on this forum for more about that) didn't really give me that much.
Connatic
level1
level1

Postby Connatic » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:25 pm

I think being the first tournament with a bunch forum buddies, I'm sure we can abide by the "honor system". I'd rather have a bunch of people watch this tournament with the smallest risk of cheating than a closed tourmament with no specators. Lets save the hardcore competitive ones for later.
tellatubby
level1
level1

Postby tellatubby » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:27 pm

Yes, I agree that some people will cheat by using the spectator mode and communicate with a player via ventrilo or something along those lines. I think it would be a terrific idea if something similar to HLTV was made so that we can still spectate the game only it will be delayed by a few minutes. That way all of the spectators will see few minute old footage, and cheating through spectators would be impossible.
Kron0
level1
level1

Postby Kron0 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:14 pm

While we are on the (general) subject any chance of getting the games recorded? Since I'm compeating I wont be able to watch all of them and definately want a copy of the US v EU game and possibly of my game (unless i do awful).
Hoxe
level1
level1

Postby Hoxe » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:54 pm

I will during my two hours of testing before the tournament begins try to set up fraps so I can record every game. However, In matches that I play (I'm nicked Yugge in the listings) I can only record my own tactics. So I would like to have someone recording those matches from an spectator point of view.

Return to “General”