Unofficial Launchday Short Tournament

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:59 am

One last note, it's irc.uplinkcorp.net, not irc.uplinktour.net :)

NeoThermic
Ked
level0

Postby Ked » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:25 am

What, who wouldn't want a tour of Uplink? All that cool hardware lying around, occasionally exploding...

...anyway. Sign me up for US 2, 3, or 4. Preference is 3, but I can make any of those work.

I've always loved Diplomacy (capital-D, as in the board game), and it strikes me that Defcon is going to be about as compelling and dynamic an update of that classic as any of us may ever see. Can't wait.

Granted, I suck at that game, so I may not be too good at this one either.
Warped_Speed
level1
level1

Postby Warped_Speed » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:05 am

Ked added to US3.
http://tinyurl.com/kwklz
jrbreen
level2
level2

Postby jrbreen » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:28 am

Ked wrote:I've always loved Diplomacy (capital-D, as in the board game), and it strikes me that Defcon is going to be about as compelling and dynamic an update of that classic as any of us may ever see.

Very true.
Ked wrote:Granted, I suck at that game, so I may not be too good at this one either.

Equally true.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:45 am

SuperGURU wrote:Hmmm this is a newb question too, but 7pm GMT is what in German time? I know that Germany is GMT +1 but we are now in "Daylight Saving Time" i think that's the right word, and i don't know, is 7pm GMT now 8pm in German time? Help will be appreciated. Hope i have time then and i don't have to go to the big "drink as much as you can"-party ;) ;)

[Edit]oh ok found the answer, in the "daylight saving time" (summertime) it's 2hours that i have to add, so 7pm GMT is 9PM in Germany, i think :)

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Oh, and I'm sorry I won't be able to join you, or even spectate, since I'll be away for the weekend, and will be preparing for said weekend on Friday. :(
Hoxe
level1
level1

Postby Hoxe » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:40 am

SuperGURU wrote:Hmmm this is a newb question too, but 7pm GMT is what in German time? I know that Germany is GMT +1 but we are now in "Daylight Saving Time" i think that's the right word, and i don't know, is 7pm GMT now 8pm in German time? Help will be appreciated. Hope i have time then and i don't have to go to the big "drink as much as you can"-party ;) ;)

[Edit]oh ok found the answer, in the "daylight saving time" (summertime) it's 2hours that i have to add, so 7pm GMT is 9PM in Germany, i think :)

It's the same Time zone as me, so I think you'll be fine
Ishkabo
level1
level1

Postby Ishkabo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:45 am

I would like to participate.

I have been lurking but I signed up just to get in on this.

Sign me up as Ishkabo in the US region 1 please. If that is full, then 2, if that is full then 4.
Warped_Speed
level1
level1

Postby Warped_Speed » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:06 am

Ishkabo - Added to US1.
See updated list on website for US1 start time: http://tinyurl.com/kwklz
shilsdon
level1
level1

Postby shilsdon » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 am

Warped_Speed wrote:Kron0 - Added to EU1.
shilsdon - Added to EU4.

Spiffing :) Cheers.

-Stephen-
KudrigY
level2
level2

Postby KudrigY » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:44 am

About spectators - I am pretty sure some ppl made friends here (good, forums should provide that) but if Spectators are godlike (see everything) what can stop any spectator from telling (via ICQ, skype or even private chat in-game) actual players any info of strategic importance? IMO info like "X has just switched siloses to nuke-mode" or "pack of 4 subs close to East coast at your 6" may kill the basic idea of this game. Hell, if someone would write something like that on a public in-game chat (cant imagine more idiotic idea thou), players even subconcously
would alter their tactics (noone would like to be that asshole not gaining profit from it).

Hope Spectators have to choose sides before spectating (like spectator X spectates player 1 or side 1) or i would recommend no spectators in most important matches (like internal EU, internal US and global final).

Ambition may be a very scary thing - and may spoil the fun for others (i can imagine illegal hints especially in EU vs US match - some sort of patriotism i guess).
Hoxe
level1
level1

Postby Hoxe » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:04 pm

I have been told that knowing the position of things won't get you far. You have to be able to see a silo ingame to target it etc. Sure, sub can be found easier. But then again. If the subs are threatening something they would be about to shoot. Especially if some amount och carriers are on their way (from what I've been told only carriers can detect subs if they don't fire nukes?)
coolcoder
level1
level1

Postby coolcoder » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:10 pm

I ordered another copy last night for another friend, the order number was 100XX - so by my calculations they have probably sold around the 3500-4000 mark on their site alone...plus the STEAM sales. Not a bad start...
BoKeRoN
level1
level1

Postby BoKeRoN » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:47 pm

Ok, i want to join. EU1 group if possible. The name is BoKeRoN. Looks like i'll have only 1 hour to make the tutorials before battle starts... :roll: :roll:
Hoxe
level1
level1

Postby Hoxe » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:04 pm

BoKeRoN - Added to EU1
KudrigY
level2
level2

Postby KudrigY » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:00 pm

Hoxe - I disagree.

I can think like a dozen of examples prooving You are wrong, but those should suffice:

- Europe is sending bombers near north pole to strike at US. USA knowing that, may put even one carrier with couple of fighters left near alaska and have some fighters as CAP (ok, send them manually, I think), continuosly sending them to specific area. Effect - bombers will get shot down before lauching their "packages". Whole strategy may collapse then.

- about sub attacks - If I got a warning subs are coming my way, there is no way I would switch my AA-silos to nuke-silos. Hell, I would maintain bomber patrols, if subs have to surface to launch their stuff (first thing I will check on friday night). If so, I think not more that 40% of sub-based nukes would get the luxury to be actually deployed. Some would be destroyed by silos, and all-horrible attack of 20+ nukes would be reduced to all-funny 3-4 nukes.

- enemy does not have to see where You have Your silos or airbases to AVOID them (will not work for small Europe, but for Africa or Asia?). He may choose least defended cities as targets for his land based nukes or just alter course for bombers to minimalize exposure to fighters, etc.

EDITED: siloses - silos
Last edited by KudrigY on Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”