Defcon is NOT leaked./?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

pHplus
level1
level1

Defcon is NOT leaked./?

Postby pHplus » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:00 am

Knowing IV from the Uplink beginning, having read even one or two of their interviews on IGN and elsewhere, I say it's more likely that the torrent/rapidshare/uploadit _isn't_ a "pirate" "copy", but rather an actual, purposeful leak for building interest. IV has said that it will disguise itself on P2P networks, sharing demos and crippled versions disguised as full games.

As with most things, and especially with the world the way it is recently, don't judge a book without lifting its cover. If you haven't downloaded the copy, how can you possibly know what's in it? This kind of attitude only makes real-life Defcon more and more probable, one increment per assumption.

For all you know--and many of you seem to know less than the console fanboys running 'round these days--Book One of the Defcon bible is in that torrent/rapidshare somewhere.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:09 am

So is it okay to download it or not?
kikinchaz
level2
level2

Postby kikinchaz » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:18 am

I agree in thinking this is very possible. It has been said they "seeded" the torrent sites with versions that have messages on the server browser about buying the game - isnt it very possible that the original version of this "pirated" version has infact always been seeded by IV?

ChaZ
WNivek
level2
level2
Location: New Jersey, USA From liquid death to cinnamon toast!

Postby WNivek » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:19 am

It has been pointed out that it's an older build.
If it was intentionally put out by IV, don't you think they'd have used more up-to-date code?

And either way, the release of the game is less that six days away. Do yourself a favor, and don't spoil it for yourself.
Last edited by WNivek on Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kikinchaz
level2
level2

Postby kikinchaz » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:21 am

WNivek wrote:Many people have pointed out that it's an older build.
If it was intentionally put out by IV, don't you think they'd have used more up-to-date code?

They are only using the exact same code that all of the reviewers so far have been given. Therefore we are only playing pretty much what the reviewers have played. If they used up to date code it would be extremely obvious it was them that leaked it in the first place.

ChaZ
WNivek
level2
level2

Postby WNivek » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:29 am

kikinchaz wrote:we are only playing pretty much what the reviewers have played.

Speak for yourself, mate. I'm saving up my anticipation for the actual release, as should we all.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:30 am

WNivek wrote:It has been pointed out that it's an older build.

And either way, the release of the game is less that six days away. Do yourself a favor, and don't spoil it for yourself.

What about those that are getting ours boxed? We have to wait longer for the delay in shipping (especially for me, since I'm on the west coast. At least I'm not alaska...)
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:33 am

Kuth wrote:
WNivek wrote:It has been pointed out that it's an older build.

What about those that are getting ours boxed? We have to wait longer for the delay in shipping (especially for me, since I'm on the west coast. At least I'm not alaska...)
Personally, I won't wait. I'll download it from IV as soon as it's out, no point wasting time waiting for the box.
WNivek
level2
level2

Postby WNivek » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:39 am

Kuth wrote:What about those that are getting ours boxed? We have to wait longer for the delay in shipping (especially for me, since I'm on the west coast. At least I'm not alaska...)

Has the fact that you'll be allowed to download the legit version from IV starting at the moment of release somehow slipped past you?
kikinchaz
level2
level2

Postby kikinchaz » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:39 am

WNivek wrote:

Speak for yourself, mate. I'm saving up my anticipation for the actual release, as should we all.

I used "we" as a figure of speech there WNivek lol.

I too am waiting, a few of my friends gave in to the temptation. Just 5 days of college work :/ then i get to play DEFCON and Company of heroes :D

Also - those that have ordered off IV get the Boxed copy sent to them WHILST they can play the downloaded version from the IV website :) So you get the best of both for a few pounds more. Very very good deal imo - i just wanted the game on my steams list though, for convenience.

ChaZ
pHplus
level1
level1

Postby pHplus » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:39 am

WNivek wrote:

"as should we all"? Where do you think you are? I have male parts, as should we all; I have a dell, as should we all. I currently use a touchpad, as should we all.

The best favor certain true IV fans can do themselves this weekend would be to sate their curiosity and grab this torrent ASAP, even if it turns out to be 50mb of star wars fan fiction. It is acceptable that you prefer to wait until the release, but don't get on a tower and talk down to everyone else.
WNivek
level2
level2

Postby WNivek » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:41 am

pHplus wrote:The best favor certain true IV fans can do themselves this weekend would be to sate their curiosity and grab this torrent ASAP, even if it turns out to be 50mb of star wars fan fiction. It is acceptable that you prefer to wait until the release, but don't get on a tower and talk down to everyone else.

Well excuse me for speaking out against breaking the law and violating IV's wishes.
Last edited by WNivek on Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:41 am

Why not? Until IV anounce that this is actually the demo it's illegal.

edit: WNivek said it. damn ye :P
kikinchaz
level2
level2

Postby kikinchaz » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:43 am

pHplus wrote:
WNivek wrote:

"as should we all"? Where do you think you are? I have male parts, as should we all; I have a dell, as should we all. I currently use a touchpad, as should we all.

The best favor certain true IV fans can do themselves this weekend would be to sate their curiosity and grab this torrent ASAP, even if it turns out to be 50mb of star wars fan fiction. It is acceptable that you prefer to wait until the release, but don't get on a tower and talk down to everyone else.

Both opinions are valid :) I hope IV make a statement about the leak soon or when the game is released just so we can find out if it was purposely released. I must say watching some of the fraps vids my friends made for me - the game looks just as stunning as in those pictures and trailers :)

ChaZ
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:46 am

The review-1 copies on these torrent sites are illegal.

NeoThermic

Return to “General”