Unofficial Defcon FAQ

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

npelone
level0

Re: Unofficial Defcon FAQ

Postby npelone » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:48 am

18. Does Defcon run on other platforms?
Currently, Defcon is for Windows only. Mac and Linux versions will be made available later. The Linux version is likely to use the same data files as the Windows version, and come in the form of a freely downloadable executable that will enable Linux play. That means that if you buy the Windows version, you should also be able to play the Linux version. The Mac version is being published by Ambrosia Software. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to play on a Macintosh using the Windows version. However, all three versions can play against eachother online.
Regarding the Linux version, see this thread for the official word: Chris's word on Linux

Defcon runs fine through CrossOver(http://codeweavers.com) and on real Windows with Boot Camp on Mac OS X. So, lovley Mac people like myself, go enjoy the Windows version until the Mac one comes out. :P
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:43 pm

You may want to change Q&A 20 to link to Defcon Icons (part deux) instead of the original thread. I put all the submited icons in the first post so people don't need to hunt for them.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
orchid
level0

Mac version date ?

Postby orchid » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:56 am

*Please* let me know when the mac version might be available....
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: Mac version date ?

Postby Montyphy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:57 pm

orchid wrote:*Please* let me know when the mac version might be available....

http://www.everybody-dies.com/about/roadmap.html

Duuk
level0

Postby Duuk » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:21 am

Is there anyplace that lists the actual differences between the demo version and the paid version?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:45 am

Duuk wrote:Is there anyplace that lists the actual differences between the demo version and the paid version?

FAQ

wwarnick
level5
level5

Re: Unofficial Defcon FAQ

Postby wwarnick » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:02 pm

Just a couple minor corrections.

Baelthazar wrote:5. How long does a typical match of Defcon take?...In “Office Mode,” the game is geared to last 6 hours with the speed controls disabled (and includes the use of a “shell” to quickly minimize the game when the boss walks past.

Actually, you can minimize the game with the double escape in any game (or in the main menu for that matter). There is no "shell".

Baelthazar wrote:8. If the enemy is outside my radar range, how can I ever attack them?...any entity that launches a nuclear missile instantly becomes visible on the map, no matter where they are.

This does not apply to bombers. And even though they use short range missiles (srbms), their combat range is longer than the radar tower's radar range. Thus, their use is obvious: sneak attack.

Baelthazar wrote:It has not yet been confirmed if the Steam version needs an online connection to play single player games (i.e. Half-Life 2). It has been suggested that it will not.

Steam has an "offline" mode which works with almost all steam games (no, Half-Life 2 does not need a connection). This includes defcon, as long as it's been authenticated online at least once. All subsequent offline games will show "unknown" under authentication instead of "accepted", but I've found that it still doesn't go to demo mode.

Baelthazar wrote:12. Can I register my IV version on my Steam account so that it will show up and so I can use their servers?
While not clearly answered...

The clear answer is no.

Good work Baelthazar. This faq deserves its stickiness.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:45 pm

Thanks for pointing those out, updated my FAQ.

Taedal
level2
level2

Postby Taedal » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:15 pm

As far as I can tell monty has created a far superior fact to the OP (no offense) - shouln't that be sticked instead for the sake of new users..?

Return to “General”