Some faintly disturbing news!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:51 am

TinFoil wrote:By the way, the site you went on is a bittorrent tracker: just start the .torrent file up with utorrent/azereus and look at all their IPs. Then report them. That's easy.

Thanks, but i wont put my ip there with the others. I'll let IV sort this out.
HostFat
level1
level1

Postby HostFat » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:01 am

It's a good idea if they compile a different version for every previewer.
They can add some hidden messages/code to find who has shared it to the world.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:25 am

HostFat wrote:@Montyphy
I am not an hypocritical and you can be sure to see my nick on the masterserver on 29th ;) ( with my already bought Steam version )

This version is useless and unstable, it's also probably impossible to play against the final version.

Still illegal
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Dachannien
level0

Postby Dachannien » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:47 am

alphager wrote:the supplier is named as a "David Lightman".

Hopefully, the joke isn't lost on people here.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:56 am

Dachannien wrote:
alphager wrote:the supplier is named as a "David Lightman".

Hopefully, the joke isn't lost on people here.

Yes, David Lightman, the main character of Wargames, we get it.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Pengo
level1
level1

Postby Pengo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:47 am

"You can't stop peer-to-peer file sharing. So the best route to combat it is to subvert it, and turn it around to your advantage. For example, we will release a version of our game that looks like it's been hacked at the same time as a pirate version gets out - usually a couple of days after release.

Our version, which is modified, repackaged and distributed by our user community of around 1000 active participants, looks like the real game, but is in fact a demo. After the third time of downloading the demo, the peer-to-peer user will be very, very frustrated, and will do one of two things; give up or buy the game from us. We subverted the Bit Torrent network for Darwinia very successfully this way, and to a lesser extent eMule / eDonkey."

Took that off a site
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:20 am

Pengo wrote:
"You can't stop peer-to-peer file sharing. So the best route to combat it is to subvert it, and turn it around to your advantage. For example, we will release a version of our game that looks like it's been hacked at the same time as a pirate version gets out - usually a couple of days after release.

Our version, which is modified, repackaged and distributed by our user community of around 1000 active participants, looks like the real game, but is in fact a demo. After the third time of downloading the demo, the peer-to-peer user will be very, very frustrated, and will do one of two things; give up or buy the game from us. We subverted the Bit Torrent network for Darwinia very successfully this way, and to a lesser extent eMule / eDonkey."

Took that off a site

Yup. That was done with Darwinia. There were very few legitimate copies of Darwinia out there. The fakes were basically the (Mac) demo, with a short lecuter about pirating software.

xander
fragmonkey
level1
level1

Postby fragmonkey » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:44 am

1st, to the guy who made the "congrats for admitting" remark, if he DID legitimately purchase the game then it is not piracy, even if he downloads it.

2nd, before going off half cocked with the ips from torrent sites, please consider the success (or lack of) that RIAA has had in prosecuting people in regards to p2p. The VAST majority of their cases that they "won" were not actually prosecuted, rather they were settled by the parties after being threatened.

3rd, I got a copy of Uplink off of a machine I bought to refurbish for a school locally, so technically I pirated it...oh wait...I actually BOUGHT it after dinking and doinking around with it a bit. Prior to that I had never even heard of UL or IV. If IV made a game as entertaining as UL with Defcon, they will get the sales because come on, the SP on this may be cool but to be able to play PvP and nuke em back to the stoneage? Well worth the purchase price of the game. :D

4th, I'm in a quandry as to wheter I wanna get Defcon or Darwinia, Darwinia looks COOOOL....but Defcon has nukes!! Any nukes in Darwinia? Maybe to nuke virii? No? Well hell it was worth a try. :twisted:

5th, I'm curious as to the mod-ability of Defcon. (as well as Darwinia for that matter) The thing that made my rush right out and get UL was the fact that by the time I had discovered it there were skads (I know it's not a word, it just sounds cool) of mods out for it which greatly enhanced it after beating it the first time. (Simply Uplink and FBI come to mind)

I could not help but notice a certain similarity of the time adjustment bars at the top to UL...heh, a lil familiarity never hurts. :lol:
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:18 am

1st, to the guy who made the "congrats for admitting" remark, if he DID legitimately purchase the game then it is not piracy, even if he downloads it.

That is just not true. The license that was purchased does not cover downloading an illegal copy of an older version of the game before that game itself is released.

2nd, before going off half cocked with the ips from torrent sites

I don't know that anyone is seriously doing that. But its not the case of the RIAA either - IPs will cut someone off if they're breaching their AUP.

Modding: Defcon... who knows?
Darwinia... look in the darwinia forums.
Freaker
level0

Postby Freaker » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:49 am

A slight aside from the piracy aspect, which makes me sick BTW, being a developer, i know how much damage it does to small indipendant devs...
But will i be able to install my boxed original on more than 1 PC ? with Darwinia i installed it on my home and work PC. Will this be possible to do with Defcon seeing as what the devs had mentioned about added security and all. But hey... for £10 i dont really mind forking out for another copy :)
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:59 am

I hate stealing from small companys such as Introvision. Its on several other Torrent sites now.
BUY IT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE ITS CHEAP ENOUGH.
SS25_Launcher
level1
level1

well

Postby SS25_Launcher » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:24 am

i bought copies for my friends ;)
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:25 am

it seems like the version out there is a dev-version from the 10th of august. Should be pretty useless for the pirates.
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:29 am

alphager wrote:it seems like the version out there is a dev-version from the 10th of august. Should be pretty useless for the pirates.
This is getting better and better. I'm glad that the wait will worth it, no matter how big the temptation is to download...MUST...RESIST!

Resisting successful... :)
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:32 am

It will be worth the wait, believe me.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ

Return to “General”