Here's a simple one I doctored up for myself:

Actual link
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:32 am

jrbreen wrote:Here's a simple one I doctored up for myself:

Actual link

Wow! Some very clever work being done here! A big round of applause for all you guys.

One suggestions: for the above wallpaper: I think it needs some missiles in the air and naval battles. That would make the tag line "Would you like to play a game?" more foreboding.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:32 am

Neuroleptic wrote:hi there,

here a wallpaper i made, hope you enjoy. have to make hires versions, let me know (pm) if u want.

I really like this. It gave me an idea, which I will have to see if I can manage. Because I probably can't, I will put it into the public domain: take the desktop wallpapers that come with XP (you know the ones, the stupid beach, the stupid sand dunes, the stupid green hill, &c.), and add a few nukes in the background. It would be subtle -- something thet you could use at work, but still subversive.

xander

EDIT: Ah ha! Now that I am at work, I see that the hill in the above really is the stupid green hill. Do the rest, would you?
Last edited by xander on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phayder
level0

Postby Phayder » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:39 am

here a wallpaper i made, hope you enjoy. have to make hires versions, let me know (pm) if u want.

I had an idea similar to this. In my head I saw a countryside (in England or something), looking all nice and sunny. In the distance, however, were nuclear warheads - incoming, rather than being launched. Maybe have a few people in the foreground. I just thought it would emphasize the whole "Everyone dies." tagline. I have no photoshop abilities whatsoever, so I figured I would throw this out there. If anyone's interested in actually doing it, one could surely find suitable stock images on www.deviantart.com.
jrbreen
level2
level2

Postby jrbreen » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:09 pm

Crusader Scott wrote:That would make the tag line "Would you like to play a game?" more foreboding.

An interesting idea, and one that I thought about. I decided, however, that the line seemed more appropriate when used before the game even starts. The destructive power is deployed and in the field, and a push of the button will send the missiles into the air. The idea does have merit, though, and I'll look into making an alternate version when I have time later today.
m_memmory
level0

Postby m_memmory » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:29 pm

That looks cool - wouldn't mind a higher res version (my monitor runs at 1280 x 1024)
dobbie
level1
level1

Postby dobbie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:54 pm

"That looks cool - wouldn't mind a higher res version (my monitor runs at 1280 x 1024)"

Second that request! :)
HypnoToad
level0

Postby HypnoToad » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:10 pm

xander wrote:

I really like this. It gave me an idea, which I will have to see if I can manage. Because I probably can't, I will put it into the public domain: take the desktop wallpapers that come with XP (you know the ones, the stupid beach, the stupid sand dunes, the stupid green hill, &c.), and add a few nukes in the background. It would be subtle -- something thet you could use at work, but still subversive.

xander

EDIT: Ah ha! Now that I am at work, I see that the hill in the above really is the stupid green hill. Do the rest, would you?

Could I humbly suggest that the tag "Everybody Dies" also gets subtly added? It's the most brilliantly nihilistic subtitle.
Typhoon
level1
level1

Postby Typhoon » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:18 pm

"That looks cool - wouldn't mind a higher res version (my monitor runs at 1280 x 1024)"

What a superb wallpaper !

Any chance of it in 1024*768 ?
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:06 am

jrbreen wrote:
Crusader Scott wrote:That would make the tag line "Would you like to play a game?" more foreboding.

An interesting idea, and one that I thought about. I decided, however, that the line seemed more appropriate when used before the game even starts. The destructive power is deployed and in the field, and a push of the button will send the missiles into the air. The idea does have merit, though, and I'll look into making an alternate version when I have time later today.

I see your point too. I guess it's just a matter of taste. I like the idea of using a screenshot that depicts a full-blown nuclear war because:

1) It would make the invitation seem sinister (as I mentioned)
2) It would make the game seem more interesting (i.e., make the wallpaper a "stealth ad" of sorts for DEFCON :) )

Whatever you decide to do, it looks great already! Thanks for the effort!
jrbreen
level2
level2

Postby jrbreen » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:46 am

Crusader Scott wrote:1) It would make the invitation seem sinister (as I mentioned)
2) It would make the game seem more interesting (i.e., make the wallpaper a "stealth ad" of sorts for DEFCON :) )

Well, thanks for the compliments. Honestly, I wasn't expecting this much of a reaction from something I doctored up in a few minutes. In return, I put this together. Enjoy!

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/defconwargamesiilq7.jpg
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:28 am

Now that's what I'm talking about! :D
GChussir
level0

Postby GChussir » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:27 am

jrbreen wrote:
Crusader Scott wrote:1) It would make the invitation seem sinister (as I mentioned)

Well, thanks for the compliments. Honestly, I wasn't expecting this much of a reaction from something I doctored up in a few minutes. In return, I put this together. Enjoy!

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/377/defconwargamesiilq7.jpg

I just registered to say:

AWESOME!!!

I'm using it right now :)
37th
level0

Postby 37th » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:24 pm

This is awesome! Made this my wallpaper... Maybe one with explosions and more chaos but brilliant none the less
Last edited by 37th on Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:36 pm

Wasn't the quote "SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?"

?
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.

Return to “General”