LAN Multiplayer

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:34 pm

Montyphy wrote:So basically you want to know if you can warez the game? or have some way of buying a license which covers more than one computer?

Nope, thats not what he wants to know.
Starcraft hat a feature called "spawned"-version. Basically it meant that you could install the game on 8 different computers; one being the master and 7 spawns. The spawns could only join multiplayer LAN-games started by the master, nothing else (no internetplay, no single-player, no playing without the master).
This enabled people on small LANS to legally play Starcraft with their friends (and give them the fix to get the game to be able to play it without the master).
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:33 pm

Sounds like a capital idea.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
grifta67
level0

Postby grifta67 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:03 pm

alphager wrote:Nope, thats not what he wants to know.
Starcraft hat a feature called "spawned"-version. Basically it meant that you could install the game on 8 different computers; one being the master and 7 spawns. The spawns could only join multiplayer LAN-games started by the master, nothing else (no internetplay, no single-player, no playing without the master).
This enabled people on small LANS to legally play Starcraft with their friends (and give them the fix to get the game to be able to play it without the master).

Well said alphager, thats exactly what I mean. I hadn't taken into consideration that everyone would instantly scream 'warez' at my question...

The spawn feature was very useful, allowing us to play some games at LAN parties back in the day that we otherwise wouldn't have been able to play. Sure, getting together a Quake LAN party isn't tricky because most gamers will probably already have it. Spawning comes in handy when you want to LAN a more obscure game that many people won't bother to give a chance.
zerohourrct
level1
level1

Postby zerohourrct » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:32 am

Yeah spawning was what i was trying to get at, but failing for the most part :D
klomp10
level0

Postby klomp10 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:17 am

I know this is a rather old topic, but I purchesed the game today and thinking you could do LAN games but no internet games with one license. But I was disappointed when this was not possible, I would really like the spawn feature or cheap way to buy a small site license (>5 people) or something. I know I should probily just buy a license for every computer but when its only going to be used once a month or less, it gets expensive fast, and when your a student that also add up. So for now no lan gaming. :cry:
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:31 am

3 licenses = £30 = the cost of the average game. Now throw in 2 demo users and you have 5 players to a game.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “General”