Unit production and Strategical issues

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

W31RD0
level3
level3
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:03 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Postby W31RD0 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:10 pm

BoKeRoN, actually, I had no idea, that fussy actually was a word. I thought it was just common misspelling of fuzzy.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...
Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
BoKeRoN
level1
level1
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:46 pm
Location: Málaga (Spain)
Contact:

Postby BoKeRoN » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:20 pm

I look for it in a dictionary:

remilgado,-a adj pey (repipi, afectado) fussy
(con la comida) picky

i.e. : "He's a bit fussy about cleanliness"
W31RD0
level3
level3
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:03 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Postby W31RD0 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:21 pm

okay. didn't understand much of that, but got the main point.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...

Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
BoKeRoN
level1
level1
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:46 pm
Location: Málaga (Spain)
Contact:

Postby BoKeRoN » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:23 pm

Ok, enough of grammar classes for today! let´s get back to the Global Thermonuclear War thing!!! :P
W31RD0
level3
level3
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:03 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Postby W31RD0 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:27 pm

BoKeRoN wrote:Ok, enough of grammar classes for today! let´s get back to the Global Thermonuclear War thing!!!
Yes, please! I had enough of grammar yesterday in school. Two days in a row, with grammar, is 1½ day to much.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...

Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
User avatar
Phrage
level3
level3
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave
Contact:

Postby Phrage » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:38 pm

I found it funny when some american friends of ours thought that fluff was the english word for cake (americans don't have the word fluff, its lint to them). THey couldn't work out the funny looks at cafes they'd been in asking for chocolate fluff
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)
BoKeRoN
level1
level1
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:46 pm
Location: Málaga (Spain)
Contact:

Postby BoKeRoN » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:43 pm

Well, at least nobody in the forum will be confused about what the word "nuke" means... (again, trying to come back to the thermonuclear war thing...) :lol: :lol: :lol:
W31RD0
level3
level3
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:03 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Postby W31RD0 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:10 pm

Google definition of nuke:
To intentionally delete the entire contents of a given directory, hard drive, or storage volume.
www.netdictionary.com/n.html

To stop a process that is currently working.
www.uta.edu/infosys/e_comm/terms/term_n.htm

strike at with firepower or bombs; "zap the enemy"
atom-bomb: bomb with atomic weapons
atomic warhead: the warhead of a missile designed to deliver an atom bomb
microwave: cook or heat in a microwave oven; "You can microwave the leftovers"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Nukes form a family of simple content management systems that are specifically targeted to the creation of news and community websites.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuke

In many online video games (especially MMORPGs), the term nuke is generally used to describe a spell which is capable of dealing a great amount of damage to its target. More specifically, the term is applied to a player character's most damaging spell or spell-like ability.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuke_(Gaming)

A Nuke, which has been confused with WinNuking, is an older way to attack computers by a network.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuke_(computer)


Way off-topic:
The sort of person who would get really excited at the prospect of using a text editor on a 900 megahertz workstation to write out the definitions of technical terms.
www.scotsmist.co.uk/glossary_g.html

A nerd is very similar to a geek, but with more RAM and a faster modem. Nerds often find geeks dull because geeks don't spend enough time talking about computers.
www.scotsmist.co.uk/glossary_n.html


I've always thought that a geek and a nerd was the same thing?

(Source: Google's "define" function)
User avatar
Phrage
level3
level3
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave
Contact:

Postby Phrage » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:40 pm

from what i can tell nerd and geek aren't the same. A nerd is anyone uncool, normally a geeky person interested in computers, technology etc. However geeks are nerds but are more intelligent. Geeks and very clever and are very good with technology. Nerds are wanna be geeks but aren't intelligent enough.
Thats my take on it at any rate.
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^

(delete as appropriate)
alphager
level3
level3
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby alphager » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:00 pm

Nerds and Geeks are not the same thing!

Geeks are heavily interested in their field and know allmost everything about it (example: Star Trek Geeks can name all hobbies of Picard)
Nerds are like Geeks, but their main focus in life is their field (example: Star Trek nerds have no other communication-subject than Picards hobbies).
W31RD0
level3
level3
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:03 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Postby W31RD0 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:06 pm

okay. in that case, I must be a geek, although I don't know everything about computers, but I can speak about other things than computers.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...

Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:16 pm

Phrage wrote:I found it funny when some american friends of ours thought that fluff was the english word for cake (americans don't have the word fluff, its lint to them). THey couldn't work out the funny looks at cafes they'd been in asking for chocolate fluff

We use fluff in the US. Though generally, it is used as an adjective, i.e. fluffer girl. Take that as you will :)

xander
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:30 pm

xander wrote:
Phrage wrote:I found it funny when some american friends of ours thought that fluff was the english word for cake (americans don't have the word fluff, its lint to them). THey couldn't work out the funny looks at cafes they'd been in asking for chocolate fluff

We use fluff in the US. Though generally, it is used as an adjective, i.e. fluffer girl. Take that as you will :)

xander


A girl made out of fluff? </naive>

NeoThermic
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:32 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:
Phrage wrote:I found it funny when some american friends of ours thought that fluff was the english word for cake (americans don't have the word fluff, its lint to them). THey couldn't work out the funny looks at cafes they'd been in asking for chocolate fluff

We use fluff in the US. Though generally, it is used as an adjective, i.e. fluffer girl. Take that as you will :)

xander


A girl made out of fluff? </naive>

NeoThermic

Exactly.

xander
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:39 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:
Phrage wrote:I found it funny when some american friends of ours thought that fluff was the english word for cake (americans don't have the word fluff, its lint to them). THey couldn't work out the funny looks at cafes they'd been in asking for chocolate fluff

We use fluff in the US. Though generally, it is used as an adjective, i.e. fluffer girl. Take that as you will :)

xander


A girl made out of fluff? </naive>

NeoThermic

Exactly.

xander


Phew, glad I got that one cleared up!

NeoThermic

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests