Sombre CG intro for DEFCON

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Gwizz
level0

Postby Gwizz » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:05 am

Last edited by Gwizz on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:35 am

Gwizz wrote:You raise a good counter but what I'm essentially trying to get across is whilst Defcon does not use any kind of poly count due to the nature of the vector style graphics, the overall feel of the game appear dumbed down.. this being a strategic numbers type game, your strikes kill 1.1m here, another 2.3m and so on.

The actual grim reality of the consequences involved do not necessarily portray that of your actions, only that you lost the game due to losing however many millions, end of.

That's not to say I'd like to see this game produced with full poly count to make for a more realistic feel, we already have that in modern FPS but the consequences of your actions (Defcon in particular) should hit home the grim reality of what is actually taking place to reflect that of your actions rather than just showing by way of number.

Certainly, that is one direction that the game could be taken. However, Defcon harkens back to an era dominated by arcade games. These games were, simply put, pure gameplay. There was no story, actions had no consequence other than score, and ethical dilemmas were non-existant. Have you ever played Missle Command? Eventually, your cities die. It happens. There are no consequences, other than you losing the game. Defcon is supposed to be about pure game-play. It is supposed to be as slim as possible, with as little preaching as possible. While I like the video, I just don't think it fits the vector graphics 80s aesthetic of the game.

Honestly, I think something more satirical (such as Civil Defence movies from the 50s (Duck and Cover!)) would be more appropriate. That, however, is my opinion. Obviously, you feel differenty. Without an intro movie, we can both be right -- Defcon can be either satirical, or deadly serious. The minute IV put in a movie like Skyfall or Duck and Cover, the game suddenly had a single meaning. It means that only one of our interpretations is correct. I like it better the way it is now.

xander
naterd00d
level1
level1

Postby naterd00d » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:48 am

i perfer something a bit more morbid

like a flower blooming, mothers playing at the playground with their kids, a baby being held, then all of a sudden you see littel blue lines to end each scene
(lines being the missile)

then it speeds up and "hummm" everybody dies :)
Ruges
level2
level2

Postby Ruges » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:38 am

I think skyfire would make a great intro. And from what everyone is saying about there being no winners, the somber reality of the clip pushes that idea.
Ruges
Guild leader of HoD
Hairy
level1
level1

Postby Hairy » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:27 pm

xander wrote:Honestly, I think something more satirical (such as Civil Defence movies from the 50s (Duck and Cover!)) would be more appropriate.
xander

Ever play any of the Fallout series? They all had spoof 50's style civil defence movies and artwork in.
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:00 am

Gwizz wrote:The actual grim reality of the consequences involved do not necessarily portray that of your actions, only that you lost the game due to losing however many millions, end of.

If you read some of the previews, you will see that IV tries to get a distant, detached feeling into the game.
You sit deep down underground in your safe bunker and unleash hell on earth. You don't care about the people that die; deaths are only six-figure-numbers flashing for 4 seconds.
DrDemento
level2
level2

Postby DrDemento » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:26 pm

Hairy wrote:
xander wrote:Honestly, I think something more satirical (such as Civil Defence movies from the 50s (Duck and Cover!)) would be more appropriate.
xander

Ever play any of the Fallout series? They all had spoof 50's style civil defence movies and artwork in.

And it was the shizzle. I don't think I've ever seen any other in game movies that even come close. I recently played Fallout 2 (I played fallout the first time around) and can't wait for number 3! I only hope it lives up to the first two.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:44 pm

DrDemento wrote:
Hairy wrote:
xander

And it was the shizzle. I don't think I've ever seen any other in game movies that even come close. I recently played Fallout 2 (I played fallout the first time around) and can't wait for number 3! I only hope it lives up to the first two.

I would be very suprised if it did. Much of the creative force that was responsible for the first two is not involved with three, at least, such is my understanding. While it would be nice if it were as good, I don't think that will happen.

xander
zerohourrct
level1
level1

Postby zerohourrct » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:52 pm

Defcon is going to be small (around 60MB), like darwinia and Uplink, and an intro or extro movie would nearly double this (i dont really mind but dial-ups might). Also like it has been stated, Defcon is about the strategy and gameplay; if you want to learn about the consequences of nuclear war, go read a book, a good one is Alas Babylon.
EDIT: fine, 60 MB, and my source is public knowledge to all who know how to use the search function (or just read one of the threads, its in about all of them)
Last edited by zerohourrct on Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:57 pm

You seem very sure about that size. Whose your source? :P
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Gwizz
level0

Postby Gwizz » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:09 pm

Last edited by Gwizz on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:31 pm

Gwizz wrote:I only imply that an intro like Skyfall would add atmosphere to the overall experience, besides showing the ethical dilemma of your subsequent actions.

Indeed, it would add atmosphere, but would it add the right atmosphere? Again, my understanding of the game is that it is very cavalier about all of the megadeaths that occur. Skyfall is decidedly not. It doesn't really fit my understanding of the game. Perhaps my understanding is incorrect (according to IV), but without an intro or outros or other movies, we can both be right.

xander
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:58 pm

xander wrote:I would be very suprised if it did. Much of the creative force that was responsible for the first two is not involved with three, at least, such is my understanding. While it would be nice if it were as good, I don't think that will happen.

xander

Much like Fallout Tactics?

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Gwizz
level0

Postby Gwizz » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:00 am

Last edited by Gwizz on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrDemento
level2
level2

Postby DrDemento » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:03 am

Babylon5 wrote:
xander wrote:I would be very suprised if it did. Much of the creative force that was responsible for the first two is not involved with three, at least, such is my understanding. While it would be nice if it were as good, I don't think that will happen.

xander

Much like Fallout Tactics?

...and before you all start slating tactics: I quite liked it! Okay, so it was a completely different kind of game, but they seemed to be aiming for that.

As for you Xander... I find you're lack of faith disturbing.

Return to “General”