Sombre CG intro for DEFCON

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Gwizz
level0

Sombre CG intro for DEFCON

Postby Gwizz » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:56 pm

Last edited by Gwizz on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:15 pm

I thought this looked familier!
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... 9&start=40

xander
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:32 pm

Regardless, its pretty nice, I recommend checking it out if you got the time
- Morten
------------------
RedCell.dk
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:47 pm

Nutter wrote:Regardless, its pretty nice, I recommend checking it out if you got the time

Indeed. It is a rather impressive piece of CGI. However, in terms of using it as an intro to Defcon, I question IV's ability to get the rights. It is also a bit long for a bootloader kind of thing, though it may be appropriate for a firsttime style introduction.

xander
maed
level1
level1

Postby maed » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:15 pm

Would be nice as an outro I think, but for an intro I would like something that show's the upbuilding tension (what Defcon is about), e.g. a spy plane spotted by radar, scrambling interceptors, submarines diving, pilots running to their B-52's, tanks leaving the barracks, sirens in big cities, panicking public rushing for the shelters, first battles in air and sea, and finally the bombers releasing their deadly payload while ICBM's are launching...

Other than that, this is an excellent piece of CGI, was nice to watch.
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:29 pm

Chris said in an interview that what they learned from Darwinia is that they will try to keep the actual game content as low as possible. They just take too much time to make that could be spent on the game itself. He said that Defcon is going to be a pure-game with no real content. He also said that there will be no dialogies, no cut-scenes (main point here) or anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they would use some flashy nuke-mushrooms pictures as loading screens though.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:32 pm

This could really be used as an outro if IV could get the rights. Only problem: there's no storyline-thingy. So no outro, except if you put it at the end of the tutorial, but that would be very soon, actually.

There are however lots of long intro movies. It could be really good as an intro movie which could just be skipped...

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Michaeru
level1
level1

Postby Michaeru » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:36 pm

Could be some kind of Game Over-movie. Some games show the consequences of your defeat, I tend to like that. You failed destroying your opponent and stumble out of your bunker and see this.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:38 pm

Michaeru wrote:Could be some kind of Game Over-movie. Some games show the consequences of your defeat, I tend to like that. You failed destroying your opponent and stumble out of your bunker and see this.

Those are just plain annoying. Play the game enough and you grow to hate them, especially if they bog down your computer or slow down your ability to join/create a new game.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm

CG also takes up some space if it needs to be in a good quality, with IV going for digital distribution that might be a problem. Also don't know about you guys but I always end up skipping cg intros after having seen them once or twice.
- Morten

------------------

RedCell.dk
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:14 pm

Precisely my point.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:45 pm

Nutter wrote:CG also takes up some space if it needs to be in a good quality, with IV going for digital distribution that might be a problem. Also don't know about you guys but I always end up skipping cg intros after having seen them once or twice.

From my Darwinia preferences.txt:

Code: Select all

bootloader=none

xander
Gwizz
level0

Postby Gwizz » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:47 pm

Last edited by Gwizz on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:00 am

What sort of size do you reckon it would be? If IV's previous games are anything to go by, a bit of reasonable quality FMV will probably double, triple or even quadruple the distribution size
Edit to remove imaginary word
Last edited by estel on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:45 am

Gwizz wrote:A game of this nature deserves an intro like Skyfall to highlight the essence of what Defcon entails and although played as nothing but a strategic numbers type game, without taking prisoners the bottom line is..

It's MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction)

That's like saying that the "essence" of Half-Life is partical physics, or that the "essence" of Super Mario Brothers is plumbing. In both of those games, the essence of the game is the game-play. Half-Life could be wrapped up on monsters from hell, sorcerers and dragons, or any other setting, and still be just as good as a game. SMB is a platformer, and would be just as good with a whole other set of sprites (see SMB II in the US, for an example). In both of these games, the essence of the game is game-play, not the particular window dressing of the game. Defcon is a game that is supposed to be pure game-play, with little to no story, plot, window dressing, &c. to get in the way. The essence of the game is the game.

Let me put it this way: we could create a five minute movie that shows aliens landing in downtown New York and blowing stuff up. We could show saucers leveling buildings, with people running in all directions. We could show rubble and little green men. If we were to take that movie and tack it onto the beginning of Space Invaders, would that make Space Invaders a better game? Does Space Invaders (which is, arguably, one of the most influential games of the early 80s) "deserve and intro...to highlight the essence of what [Space Invaders] entails...?"

xander

EDIT: estel raises another good point -- Darwinia is 30 MB; Uplink is around 30 MB; Defcon is also quite small. The movie would likely triple the size of the package. Cineware Marquee packages a very short intro movie (<15 sec) with their distribution of Darwinia. That movie, all by itself, is more than 3 times the size of all of the other files on the disk combined.

Return to “General”