Page 2 of 3

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:17 pm
by Hairy
Personal fave:

Ah cannae defy the laws of physics captain!

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:46 am
by xander
Damnit, NeoThermic, I am an archaeologist, not a forum admin! Can't you say it in plain English!?

xander

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:21 am
by NeoThermic
xander wrote:Damnit, NeoThermic, I am an archaeologist, not a forum admin! Can't you say it in plain English!?

xander


Hmm. While attempting to survery a dig on the forums, we came across a curse, and due to this curse, you can see the locked forum. To break the curse, we must survey the rest of the dig later.

English enough? ;)

NeoThermic

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm
by xander
NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:Damnit, NeoThermic, I am an archaeologist, not a forum admin! Can't you say it in plain English!?

xander


Hmm. While attempting to survery a dig on the forums, we came across a curse, and due to this curse, you can see the locked forum. To break the curse, we must survey the rest of the dig later.

English enough? ;)

NeoThermic

Heh.

xander

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:30 pm
by NeoThermic
xander wrote:Heh.


Heh? Heh?! I translate from fourm-admin-speak to English for you and all I get is a "heh"? Where's the respect in this world?! ;)

NeoThermic

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:51 pm
by xander
NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:Heh.


Heh? Heh?! I translate from fourm-admin-speak to English for you and all I get is a "heh"? Where's the respect in this world?! ;)

NeoThermic

Actually, the large number of archaeological stereotypes and psuedo-jargon made me laugh. For one thing, survey and excavation are two entirely different field methods, which you have conflated into one. It made me chuckle.

xander

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:52 pm
by NeoThermic
xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:Heh.


Heh? Heh?! I translate from fourm-admin-speak to English for you and all I get is a "heh"? Where's the respect in this world?! ;)

NeoThermic

Actually, the large number of archaeological stereotypes and psuedo-jargon made me laugh. For one thing, survey and excavation are two entirely different field methods, which you have conflated into one. It made me chuckle.

xander


Have I? I didn't indicate that we had started digging yet ;)

NeoThermic

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:25 pm
by xander
NeoThermic wrote:Have I? I didn't indicate that we had started digging yet ;)

NeoThermic

You said that you were surveying a dig. Survey is surface archaeology -- we walk across large areas of land, and record what we see on the surface. Digging, or excavation, occurs in a different context. It is done to see what is under the surface. Survey is expansive, with low resolution over a large area, while excavation is intensive, with high resolution over a small area. A large exavation might be 20 m by 20 m. A small survey might be 1,000 acres.

I will, however, offer you an out: British archaeology and American archaeology come from two different traditions, and it is possible that the argots used are also different. So, to a British archaeologist, it is possible that what you said makes perfect sense. To an American, it is gibberish.

xander

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:43 pm
by NeoThermic
xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Have I? I didn't indicate that we had started digging yet ;)

NeoThermic

You said that you were surveying a dig. Survey is surface archaeology -- we walk across large areas of land, and record what we see on the surface. Digging, or excavation, occurs in a different context. It is done to see what is under the surface. Survey is expansive, with low resolution over a large area, while excavation is intensive, with high resolution over a small area. A large exavation might be 20 m by 20 m. A small survey might be 1,000 acres.

I will, however, offer you an out: British archaeology and American archaeology come from two different traditions, and it is possible that the argots used are also different. So, to a British archaeologist, it is possible that what you said makes perfect sense. To an American, it is gibberish.

xander


You can survey a site for a dig without digging, at least thats my understanding of both terms.

NeoThermic

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:05 pm
by xander
NeoThermic wrote:You can survey a site for a dig without digging, at least thats my understanding of both terms.

NeoThermic

But then it wouldn't be "a" dig. It would be "a place to" dig. "A" dig is a place where excavation is currently taking place.

xander

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:07 pm
by W31RD0
just for the fun of it (and the fact that I'm bored), we are way off topic. :wink:

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:25 pm
by Aaargh
W31RD0 wrote:just for the fun of it (and the fact that I'm bored), we are way off topic. :wink:

WOW, that does not hapen a lot :wink:

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:29 pm
by Montyphy
WOW, no one cares.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:00 pm
by W31RD0
Montyphy wrote:WOW, no one cares.

didn't expect you to.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:02 pm
by NeoThermic
xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:You can survey a site for a dig without digging, at least thats my understanding of both terms.

NeoThermic

But then it wouldn't be "a" dig. It would be "a place to" dig. "A" dig is a place where excavation is currently taking place.

xander


Eh, you've got me there. In my defence though, language is fluid, and one normally, in speech at least, can drop the odd word while keeping the meaning the same. Evidently in the written world, every word counts :)

NeoThermic