News Page Locked???

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Hairy
level1
level1

Postby Hairy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:17 pm

Personal fave:

Ah cannae defy the laws of physics captain!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:46 am

Damnit, NeoThermic, I am an archaeologist, not a forum admin! Can't you say it in plain English!?

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:21 am

xander wrote:Damnit, NeoThermic, I am an archaeologist, not a forum admin! Can't you say it in plain English!?

xander

Hmm. While attempting to survery a dig on the forums, we came across a curse, and due to this curse, you can see the locked forum. To break the curse, we must survey the rest of the dig later.

English enough? ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:Damnit, NeoThermic, I am an archaeologist, not a forum admin! Can't you say it in plain English!?

xander

Hmm. While attempting to survery a dig on the forums, we came across a curse, and due to this curse, you can see the locked forum. To break the curse, we must survey the rest of the dig later.

English enough? ;)

NeoThermic

Heh.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:30 pm

xander wrote:Heh.

Heh? Heh?! I translate from fourm-admin-speak to English for you and all I get is a "heh"? Where's the respect in this world?! ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:51 pm

NeoThermic wrote:

Heh? Heh?! I translate from fourm-admin-speak to English for you and all I get is a "heh"? Where's the respect in this world?! ;)

NeoThermic

Actually, the large number of archaeological stereotypes and psuedo-jargon made me laugh. For one thing, survey and excavation are two entirely different field methods, which you have conflated into one. It made me chuckle.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:52 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:

NeoThermic

Actually, the large number of archaeological stereotypes and psuedo-jargon made me laugh. For one thing, survey and excavation are two entirely different field methods, which you have conflated into one. It made me chuckle.

xander

Have I? I didn't indicate that we had started digging yet ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:25 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Have I? I didn't indicate that we had started digging yet ;)

NeoThermic

You said that you were surveying a dig. Survey is surface archaeology -- we walk across large areas of land, and record what we see on the surface. Digging, or excavation, occurs in a different context. It is done to see what is under the surface. Survey is expansive, with low resolution over a large area, while excavation is intensive, with high resolution over a small area. A large exavation might be 20 m by 20 m. A small survey might be 1,000 acres.

I will, however, offer you an out: British archaeology and American archaeology come from two different traditions, and it is possible that the argots used are also different. So, to a British archaeologist, it is possible that what you said makes perfect sense. To an American, it is gibberish.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:43 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Have I? I didn't indicate that we had started digging yet ;)

NeoThermic

You said that you were surveying a dig. Survey is surface archaeology -- we walk across large areas of land, and record what we see on the surface. Digging, or excavation, occurs in a different context. It is done to see what is under the surface. Survey is expansive, with low resolution over a large area, while excavation is intensive, with high resolution over a small area. A large exavation might be 20 m by 20 m. A small survey might be 1,000 acres.

I will, however, offer you an out: British archaeology and American archaeology come from two different traditions, and it is possible that the argots used are also different. So, to a British archaeologist, it is possible that what you said makes perfect sense. To an American, it is gibberish.

xander

You can survey a site for a dig without digging, at least thats my understanding of both terms.

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:05 pm

NeoThermic wrote:You can survey a site for a dig without digging, at least thats my understanding of both terms.

NeoThermic

But then it wouldn't be "a" dig. It would be "a place to" dig. "A" dig is a place where excavation is currently taking place.

xander
W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:07 pm

just for the fun of it (and the fact that I'm bored), we are way off topic. :wink:
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...
Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
Aaargh
level2
level2

Postby Aaargh » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:25 pm

W31RD0 wrote:just for the fun of it (and the fact that I'm bored), we are way off topic. :wink:

WOW, that does not hapen a lot :wink:
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:29 pm

WOW, no one cares.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:00 pm

Montyphy wrote:WOW, no one cares.

didn't expect you to.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...

Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:02 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:You can survey a site for a dig without digging, at least thats my understanding of both terms.

NeoThermic

But then it wouldn't be "a" dig. It would be "a place to" dig. "A" dig is a place where excavation is currently taking place.

xander

Eh, you've got me there. In my defence though, language is fluid, and one normally, in speech at least, can drop the odd word while keeping the meaning the same. Evidently in the written world, every word counts :)

NeoThermic

Return to “General”