Postby pxL » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Will a Demoversion be released?

Arghh I cannot wait anymore :cry:
I want the releasedate for defcon, to plan my vocation :roll:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:37 pm

It is possible that a demo version will be released, but, if it is, it is unlikely to come out any sooner than the full version.

xander
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:43 pm

The Darwinia Demo was released before the full version though.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:11 pm

xyzyxx wrote:The Darwinia Demo was released before the full version though.

Was it? I thought it was released at the same time?

xander

EDIT: Ach! You are correct. The demo was available the day before IV started taking pre-orders. Somehow, equated "released" with "accepting preorders."
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:11 pm

We definetly need an announcement on that one.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:26 pm

The question is, how do you make a defcon demo. I've not played the full game, so I don't really know, but I don't suppose you can feature limit it much (unless you made it single player only). It could be time limited I suppose, can only be run for x number of hours or days, but that's not great. It may just be a rolling demo like the alpha.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:39 pm

Darksun wrote:The question is, how do you make a defcon demo. I've not played the full game, so I don't really know, but I don't suppose you can feature limit it much (unless you made it single player only). It could be time limited I suppose, can only be run for x number of hours or days, but that's not great. It may just be a rolling demo like the alpha.

I think that you could demo it by doing several things:
1) Single player only
2) Max of only 1 or 2 AI players (as opposed to the possible 5)
3) Time limit -- no game lasts longer than 1 hour (game time)
4) Limit the number of nukes/units/&c.
5) Limit the game to Defcon 1-3 (no nukes)

xander
TheSquire
level3
level3

Postby TheSquire » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:55 pm

Or use temporary keys that expire in 30 days. Then we would have to bind it to an email address or something so that people don't continue to get key after key.
Anything you put in the demo client, like time limits etc, can be hacked out and that is bad.
Chittix
level2
level2

Postby Chittix » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:26 pm

I'd suggest staying away from a demo client for that exact reason - games like this are hacked to death, and I wouldn't like to see it made any easier for folks to get Defcon without paying for it.
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Chittix wrote:I'd suggest staying away from a demo client for that exact reason - games like this are hacked to death, and I wouldn't like to see it made any easier for folks to get Defcon without paying for it.

A demo build of Darwinia makes a totally diffrent application; it would be impossible to unlock a demo version of Darwinia into a full version. (plus there's missing files & stuff). I would guess the same could be done of Defcon.

I would wager that giving demo keys would be a possible way. Single player could easally be done by forcing the server to reject demo keys from going into multiplayer games. The demo keys could also have an explicit expirary to prevent people from having time to hack the application.

NeoThermic
TheSquire
level3
level3

Postby TheSquire » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:21 pm

It was easier in Darwinia to just leave out most of the games content, but Defcon doesn't have any.
I think demo keys that are valid for a few days and don't allow multiplayer are a really good idea. I am sure Chris and Icepick already have something in mind, it's just been too quiet here.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:22 pm

NeoThermic wrote:A demo build of Darwinia makes a totally diffrent application; it would be impossible to unlock a demo version of Darwinia into a full version. (plus there's missing files & stuff). I would guess the same could be done of Defcon.

Just a minor point of information, but the Mac demo contains the entire game. It is unlocked with a code. That's just how ASW does things...

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:24 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:A demo build of Darwinia makes a totally diffrent application; it would be impossible to unlock a demo version of Darwinia into a full version. (plus there's missing files & stuff). I would guess the same could be done of Defcon.

Just a minor point of information, but the Mac demo contains the entire game. It is unlocked with a code. That's just how ASW does things...

xander

Yes, that is how ASW does things, but not how IV does things. Plus how many of the 1.9 million mac users are going to bother to try hack a game like this when they already pay through the nose to get a mac? :P ;)

NeoThermic
TheSquire
level3
level3

Postby TheSquire » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:25 pm

Yeah and I don't like it. They will probably take Defcon and use their own key systems so I have to buy another copy for my mac once it comes out instead of just using my normal key with the mac version.
TheSquire
level3
level3

Postby TheSquire » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:26 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Plus how many of the 1.9 million mac users are going to bother to try hack a game like this when they already pay through the nose to get a mac? :P ;)

NeoThermic

I paid $900 for my iBook G4. I think it's very much worth it, better than any Windows Laptop I could have bought for that.

Return to “General”