Quick Question: Screen Wrapping

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

medwards
level0

Quick Question: Screen Wrapping

Postby medwards » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:53 am

OK, obviously if you launch planes and have them travel east they will obviously eventually wrap around whatever view you have of the world and arrive at their original point.

What a lot of board games (haven't played many strategic level games like this, but I'm pretty sure Civ never let you do this) fail to do is allow you to do the same thing going north and arriving south.

I bring this up because it was a real cold war concern. It's the entire reason NORAD includes Canada, everyone expected Soviet planes and nukes to cross over the Arctic Circle. Will Defcon follow in the footsteps of incomplete simulations or can I cross the Arctic Circle to bring radiological death to my profitmongering or commie friends.
--thanks
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:17 am

I could answer that question, but then I would have to kill you.

xander
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:14 am

xander wrote:I could answer that question, but then I would have to kill you.

xander

And then Chris would have to kill you.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:33 pm

This point has been raised before, but afaik polar attacks won't be possible
TheSquire
level3
level3

Re: Quick Question: Screen Wrapping

Postby TheSquire » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:03 pm

medwards wrote:What a lot of board games (haven't played many strategic level games like this, but I'm pretty sure Civ never let you do this) fail to do is allow you to do the same thing going north and arriving south.

Please explain to me again why that is possible? You will never go north and arrive south. You will go north, fly over the northpole, and go south at exactly the other side of the earth, but never will you arrive at the south directly afterwards.
Maybe that's what xander was referring to when he said he had to kill you afterwards?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:37 pm

TheSquire wrote:
medwards wrote:What a lot of board games (haven't played many strategic level games like this, but I'm pretty sure Civ never let you do this) fail to do is allow you to do the same thing going north and arriving south.

Please explain to me again why that is possible? You will never go north and arrive south. You will go north, fly over the northpole, and go south at exactly the other side of the earth, but never will you arrive at the south directly afterwards.
Maybe that's what xander was referring to when he said he had to kill you afterwards?

I think he means that you fire the nuke northerly, and when it crosses over to the other side of the world, it is facing southerly (basic sphere maths could prove this). Think about, say, a rollercoaster going over an 'n' shaped hump. If you're sitting at the front, when you enter the hump, you're facing upwards, but once you've gone over it, you're facing downwards.

NeoThermic
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:48 pm

TheSquire wrote:Please explain to me again why that is possible?

It is possible because the Flying Spaghetti Monster made it so.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
TheSquire
level3
level3

Postby TheSquire » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:52 pm

Montyphy wrote:
TheSquire wrote:Please explain to me again why that is possible?

It is possible because the Flying Spaghetti Monster made it so.

Why don't they teach that at school? Man thanks, you saved my life...

NeoThermic: Okay, yeah of course it faces southward, but it doesn't just put you on the southpole :)
I was thinking about that, too; you could send your fleet up between USA and Russia (why isn't that possible anymore?) and come out right smack north of central russia or something. That would be so much faster...
SuVir
level2
level2

Postby SuVir » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:11 pm

TheSquire wrote:NeoThermic: Okay, yeah of course it faces southward, but it doesn't just put you on the southpole :)
I was thinking about that, too; you could send your fleet up between USA and Russia (why isn't that possible anymore?) and come out right smack north of central russia or something. That would be so much faster...

erm... ice?

Howvever subs and bombers would have no problems
mindule
level2
level2

Postby mindule » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:33 pm

I was under the impression that the defcon map was rather... flat. Rather than globular.
Quantum Particle
level3
level3

Postby Quantum Particle » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:44 pm

So is an atlas, whats your point?
#Particle man
Particle man
Does whatever a particle can#
My profile!
My forums!
TheSquire
level3
level3

Postby TheSquire » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:20 pm

SuVir wrote:
TheSquire wrote:NeoThermic: Okay, yeah of course it faces southward, but it doesn't just put you on the southpole :)

erm... ice?

Howvever subs and bombers would have no problems

Well, there is no ice on the defcon world map up there.
Dynamo
level0

Postby Dynamo » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:33 am

Would be nice to play on a model of Google World with these type of graphics.

I imagine by the looks of the screenshots you can't send missiles over the North pole to land in middle Russia (USSR), the paths missiles are seen to take are the classical arc over the Bering Strait or over the Atlantic.

Also aircraft have problems navigating over the poles (magnetic compasses become useless), GPS would help, but maybe before the time frame.
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:36 am

Dynamo wrote:Would be nice to play on a model of Google World with these type of graphics.

La-la-la-la-lag.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
TheToyMaker
level1
level1

Postby TheToyMaker » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:18 pm

*assumes defcon is moddable* and *wonders if such a mod could be made for highspeed connections*

its an interesting idea.

Return to “General”