Steam Release?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

TehPwnage
level1
level1
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:10 pm

Steam Release?

Postby TehPwnage » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:39 am

Will Defcon be released in steam? For me, out here in the middle of nowhere, it would be nice to be able to order it online and download it.
User avatar
xyzyxx
level5
level5
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:50 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:47 am

Even if it isn't released on Steam, Introversion will surely provide their DIRECT DOWNLOAD service. Fear not.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
User avatar
Luigi300
level5
level5
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 2:08 pm
Location: :noitacoL
Contact:

Postby Luigi300 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:41 pm

Vapor?
Luigi for mod in 2006!
Hamarskald
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:28 am

Postby Hamarskald » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:44 pm

xyzyxx wrote:Even if it isn't released on Steam, Introversion will surely provide their DIRECT DOWNLOAD service. Fear not.


If Defcon is released to Steam on launch, they might not release the WinXP version via direct download. Isn't this what happened when Darwinia went to Steam?
User avatar
xyzyxx
level5
level5
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:50 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:50 pm

Hamarskald wrote:
xyzyxx wrote:Even if it isn't released on Steam, Introversion will surely provide their DIRECT DOWNLOAD service. Fear not.


If Defcon is released to Steam on launch, they might not release the WinXP version via direct download. Isn't this what happened when Darwinia went to Steam?
Yes, but that's beside the point. If Defcon IS released on steam then there will be no need to provide a direct download.

The point is: No matter what happens, you'll be able to play Defcon without needing to have the disc shipped to you.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Ralnir
level0
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:37 pm

Postby Ralnir » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:39 pm

Ew. I hope to God that this isn't released via Steam.
User avatar
xyzyxx
level5
level5
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:50 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:55 pm

Ralnir wrote:Ew. I hope to God that this isn't released via Steam.
Even if it is released via Steam, I'm sure they'll also be accepting orders for CD-ROM versions.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
User avatar
Gravitron
level3
level3
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:31 pm
Location: Isra(H)el
Contact:

Postby Gravitron » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:21 pm

No way, ever, I'm touching steam.
I rather install starforce first.
And that'll be the day.
iGAME...on the PC
Image
Image
Image
RabidZombie
level5
level5
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:09 pm

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:29 pm

Whats wrong with Steam?

Seriously, I hate it when all people do is complain about software which is not only useful, but exposes companies like introversion to huge crowds, to get thier games known.

And Starforce is much, MUCH worse than Steam. Steam doesn't ruin your computer. Yes, it uses memory, but at least you can close it when not in use, unlike the stupid cd-protection.
Hamarskald
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:28 am

Postby Hamarskald » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:57 am

RabidZombie wrote:And Starforce is much, MUCH worse than Steam. Steam doesn't ruin your computer. Yes, it uses memory, but at least you can close it when not in use, unlike the stupid cd-protection.


If people want to use Steam, fine. I'm glad that it's exposing new gamers to Introversion. But, in my humble opinion, saying that Starforce is much worse than Steam is like saying a kick to the head is worse than a kick to the chest.

xyzyzzxax? wrote:Yes, but that's beside the point. If Defcon IS released on steam then there will be no need to provide a direct download.


It's not beside the point for me. I would love to pay for a game, download it, and run it on my computer without the hassle of Steam. It's an archaic attitude, I'm sure, but I still remember fighting TSRs and device drivers for every single byte of my 640k memory stick back in the day, and I'm not anxious to give up any memory to Steam (even if I do have 1GB of RAM), even if I can turn it off.

Again, the fact that Introversion is making much more money off of Steam than they did off of direct sales... well, let's just say that I prefer them to be making more games that I'll have to buy physical copies of, rather than getting direct purchase access to games that don't exist (because they don't have the cash to produce them)! I understand why they're doing it, and when I really think about it, it doesn't affect me too much that they're forced to use Steam exclusively. I'm not bitter! :D
User avatar
xyzyxx
level5
level5
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:50 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Postby xyzyxx » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:13 am

Hamarskald wrote:It's not beside the point for me. I would love to pay for a game, download it, and run it on my computer without the hassle of Steam.
Then I hope that if Defcon is released on steam, it will be able to be de-steamified like Darwinia can.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Hamarskald
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:28 am

Postby Hamarskald » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:33 am

xyzyxx wrote:
Hamarskald wrote:It's not beside the point for me. I would love to pay for a game, download it, and run it on my computer without the hassle of Steam.
Then I hope that if Defcon is released on steam, it will be able to be de-steamified like Darwinia can.


Whether this will be possible or not, I'll be buying the game. If I have to buy a physical copy of the game, well, that's the sacrifice I'm willing to make. ;)
Supreme Soviet
level1
level1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:48 pm

Postby Supreme Soviet » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:16 pm

As long as they relase it on CD-ROM i'll be okay.
User avatar
xyzyxx
level5
level5
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:50 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Supreme Soviet wrote:As long as they relase it on CD-ROM i'll be okay.
Me too. I want my CD-ROM version.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
User avatar
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:08 am
Location: over there
Contact:

Postby Lord_Doskias » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:54 am

we shall see

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest