Custom dialogs

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

Spartelfant
level0

Custom dialogs

Postby Spartelfant » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:28 pm

The recent addition of dev tools gave us access to (among other things) a Dialog Editor (F4). Dialog windows can be saved to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Introversion\Prison Architect\dialogs as a plain text file. The resulting file has the same format as the existing dialog txt-files that can be found in %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\Prison Architect\main.dat.

However so far I have not been able to find any way to implement such a custom dialog window. Digging through main.dat I haven't found any code that appears to be used to open a dialog window (only indirectly, for example an event that will specify which npc will pop up and what their message will be). So it seems the game engine handles the dialog windows and opens them only in response to certain hard-coded triggers.

Browsing through the Explorer in the Debug window (F3) while having a mod active that includes a custom dialog hasn't revealed anything useful either.

Am I right in concluding that currently it is not possible to open a standard or custom dialog window in a mod? Or am I missing something?

I certainly hope it's an option that is (or will become) available, being able to take user input would be such a great thing for the mod I have in mind :D. I could implement buttons in an object's tooltip, but that seems rather unwieldy and to be honest not very user-friendly for what I have in mind.

Return to “Modding”