Whole System Crashes.

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Vauxie
level1
level1

Whole System Crashes.

Postby Vauxie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:19 pm

So, I recently bought prison architect, and so far I love the game kinda hooked by it, even after having around 26 whole
system crashes on my computer, this is the first time this has happened to me on any game I've played, now I'm all up to
date on all my system drivers, my whole system is water-cooled including the two AMD Radeon 6990's, the i7-3960X so
I'm pretty damned sure it's not a over heating problem as I run much more high end games on this system as you can imagine

Anyway I tried messing around with the compatibility settings, and tried all of them but after 20 minutes or so of playing I have a
system wide crash that can only be fixed via a hard restart, I've been playing other games since this started happening a week ago
but no luck, I tried a google of the issue and there are no posts regarding it so hoping you guys can help me out.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-3960X
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6990 (x2 crossfire ofc)
RAM: TeamGroup Xtreem LV 32GB DDR3
Operating system: windows 7 64bit
Cooling: (if it matters) two corsair H80's (GPU coolers) and one H100 (CPU)
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

Everything is up to date driver wise and other then that I have no clue what's wrong with the game.

So halp please?

~Vauxie
Faracus
level2
level2

Postby Faracus » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:39 pm

be advised, there is a memory leak issue where the game will constantly consum your RAM until the computer has none left causing crashes.

This is probably your issue, so just save often :)
Vauxie
level1
level1

Postby Vauxie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:24 pm

32gb of ram lol, that's a hell of a lot to eat up.
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:34 pm

Just to chime in and say I've never had the memory problem so not everyone gets it. Your problem could be something else.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Vauxie wrote:32gb of ram lol, that's a hell of a lot to eat up.
IIRC Windows still limits each process to 2GB of RAM.
a__gun
level3
level3

Postby a__gun » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:35 am

NeatNit wrote:
Vauxie wrote:32gb of ram lol, that's a hell of a lot to eat up.
IIRC Windows still limits each process to 2GB of RAM.

Not if the process is LAA (large address aware)
Vauxie
level1
level1

Postby Vauxie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:39 am

I'm once your memory allocation nearly all used up windows blue screens, and actually displays that there is a memory error no?

The whole memory dumping screen is built for that purpose, still could be I guess.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:44 am

I think the point is: This alpha is buggy. Have fun.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:24 am

There is definitively something going on with your computer. A program in itself normally cannot crash Windows. It needs the help of faulty drivers, hardware (ex: bad memory), corrupted windows files, etc.

Drivers is where I would look first but you said your drivers are up to date, video driver is the prime suspect.

Next I would disable crossfire if it's not already for Prison Architect.

Then I would check for GPU temperature.

You could also try to run Prison Architect windowed (check for the preferences.txt file).
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:38 am

While on-topic: can you recommend a program that creates a log of GPU temperatures so I can take a look after the system crashes? It's such a simple feature I was surprised to see how difficult it was for me to find one.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:34 am

EDIT:

GPU-Z have a option to log GPU temperature.

I've just tried it and it works fine.

----------

Some video card display the temperature in the control panel.

Else I've used HWMonitor from the same guys as CPU-Z.

However, these 2 methods don't logs the temperature, they simply display it ... I agree that logging them would be useful.

Worse case alt-tab from time to time, or check the temperature just after reboot.
Vauxie
level1
level1

Postby Vauxie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:28 pm

My two GPU's rarely go over 40C they idle at 20C and hang around 30C's while gaming also I have a program that closes all surface processes once the GPU temps go over 70C so I really do doubt there is a problem regarding temperature.

Also my fans will stay on after my computer shuts down if it over heats, my computer has only overheated once when I kept the heating on all night and had the fans on low. And again, this is the first time this has happened on any game I've ever played, and It's ONLY Prison architect so I'm not disabling crossfire.
City Builder
level2
level2

Postby City Builder » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:05 am

HWMonitor will record lowest, current and highest temps reached. So when you exit the game you should be able to see if the temps went abnormally high. If your fortunate enough to have a second monitor you can of course put the hwmonitor program on the 2ND monitor and just keep an eye on it over there while playing the game.
Vauxie
level1
level1

Postby Vauxie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:18 pm

I have a G19 keyboard with the temps on the lcd, I played for a hour and the game crashed with the gpu temps at 26C so it's not a overheating issue, and I have three TV's hooked up.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:51 am

First, the game crashing after 1 hour is normal in these alpha builds, the game leaks memory and end up using all memory available to the process and then crash.

There is a problem if your SYSTEM crash, else close this issue.

If it does, have you check the CPU temp?

But again, this game use OpenGL in opposition to the vast majority of other games. This is the reason I asked if you could disable Crossfire only for this game, run it windowed or update your drivers from the manufacturer web site...

Return to “General”